• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics What kind of issue should abortion be labeled as?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

LostArtist

Awards
Hey y’all, as you know in the US there was a draft leaked from the Supreme Court showing the likely hood of the overturning Roe v. Wade, which would remove the right for an abortion. This would be really bad, and aside from the handful of pro lifers yelling about the sanctity of life, murder, and equating a fertilized egg on the same level with a full ass sentient human being, I think most of the US is actually with me and is pro choice and pro abortion!

However there is one sub argument that came up as a result of this, the argument about whether or not this should continue to be specifically called a women’s rights issue. This sub argument is one I’m not sure on. Since other people are also able to get pregnant due to having a uterus, like trans men or non-binary folks, should we re label the abortion issue? I get that most of the people directly affected by this are women, and get the rationale as to why it should stay a women’s rights issue. But I also like the effort being made to be inclusive in statements, and find the anti trans rhetoric coming out of this disheartening, and also icky and terfy sounding.

I want to hear y’alls opinions, should women and women’s rights be specifically mentioned when talking about abortion, should it be more generalized language, should it be women + others?

I mean hopefully this won’t even need to get labeled as an issue in the future, being a non issue and all, but I unfortunately think there are too many conservative pro lifer traditionalists.

Anyways yea, what are your thoughts?

Sonofjafar

Awards
Personally, I feel like it leans towards more of woman issue, considering the fact that woman are the ones that are being forced to go through the process of child birth against their wishes. However, I will say that any guy that doesn’t accept that they’re screwed too if their partner is stuck with a baby is a scum bag

LostArtist

Awards
Personally, I feel like it leans towards more of woman issue, considering the fact that woman are the ones that are being forced to go through the process of child birth against their wishes. However, I will say that any guy that doesn’t accept that they’re screwed too if their partner is stuck with a baby is a scum bag
Oh yea definitely, partners and families are affected too. But I was more talking about how not only cis women need abortions, but also trans men and non binary folks who have uteruses and get pregnant. And these folks have higher barriers to reproductive health due to anxiety and discrimination and everything relating to not being cis.

After gathering info, I’ve actually left the fence and now think abortion should be conversed with inclusive language like “pregnant people.” Trans/non binary people have so much trouble regarding abortion and also fight so much for reproductive rights that they don’t deserve to be erased from the conversation. And they’re being erased when only women are being mentioned in relation to abortion rights.

And here’s the thing, saying “pregnant people” isn’t going to erase women in these conversations, because everyone knows women get pregnant. But saying “women” will erase trans men/non-binary folks, because not everyone knows about non cis pregnancies/abortions. This effort needs to be put so that we all normalize non cis pregnancies and reproductive healthcare doesn’t become uncomfortable to non cis folk, who have to deal with female paperwork and all the stuff that comes with cis centered healthcare.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
You can simply call it the more general "human rights" issue. Women's rights are human rights.

It's not a surprise all human rights of persecuted groups seem tied to one another, since usually the assault on one goes in tandem with the assault on others (civil rights, LGBT rights, etc.) since people who hate one usually hate all of them. And you see that here. Not only will abortion be banned in most places--until the next time Republicans control the House, Senate, and Oval Office again, in which case they'll impose a national ban even in liberal states (the party of state's rights, funny)*--you'll have other things affected by this, too, like in vitro fertilization, which will affect all people trying to conceive who have difficulty in one way or another (whether it's a straight couple with complications, a single parent, or a LGBT couple). And we haven't got to the worst part just yet, which will be when women start to get arrested (even rape or molestation victims) for performing an abortion on themselves or having it done by someone else. You know they're gunning for marriage rights next, not just for LGBT, but interracial couples, too, apparently.

* I think the way this will be by-passed is that liberal leaders in those states will use their power to pardon anyone arrested for the act even if a national ban is imposed on them. And perhaps the president will do some of that, too, when a liberal or moderate is in office.

Sonofjafar

Awards
You can simply call it the more general "human rights" issue. Women's rights are human rights.

It's not a surprise all human rights of persecuted groups seem tied to one another, since usually the assault on one goes in tandem with the assault on others (civil rights, LGBT rights, etc.) since people who hate one usually hate all of them. And you see that here. Not only will abortion be banned in most places--until the next time Republicans control the House, Senate, and Oval Office again, in which case they'll impose a national ban even in liberal states (the party of state's rights, funny)*--you'll have other things affected by this, too, like in vitro fertilization, which will affect all people trying to conceive who have difficulty in one way or another (whether it's a straight couple with complications, a single parent, or a LGBT couple). And we haven't got to the worst part just yet, which will be when women start to get arrested (even rape or molestation victims) for performing an abortion on themselves or having it done by someone else. You know they're gunning for marriage rights next, not just for LGBT, but interracial couples, too, apparently.

* I think the way this will be by-passed is that liberal leaders in those states will use their power to pardon anyone arrested for the act even if a national ban is imposed on them. And perhaps the president will do some of that, too, when a liberal or moderate is in office.
None of this would be going down if good presidents put their foot down and told congress to get with the times or get out. America can’t function if everyone is voting for their own agendas and not the agenda that is best for everyone

Back