• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is the real story behind the Kingdom Key, Sora and Riku?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

naoremonth

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED ALL THE GAMES YET
I'm aware that the details on this are sketchy, but does anyone have any solid information on what went down on Destiny Islands when Sora got the Keyblade?

Has there been any confirmation from official sources about the details? The things I'm wondering about:

• Did the Kingdom Key (which is the Keyblade of the Realm of Light) choose Riku and only get given to Sora because Riku fell to darkness, or did the Kingdom Key choose Sora regardless of Riku because of Sora's strength of heart and his light?
  • Is Sora able to wield the Keyblade because of Ventus's heart residing in his, or was it just because the Keyblade chose him?
  • Did Riku have any interaction with Ansem (brown cloaked figure) while on Destiny Islands, for example, opening the door to other worlds? Or was it just the Heartless finding the Keyhole because Ansem guided them to it? OR did Riku just open the door of his own accord?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these questions, that would be a huge help. I'm trying to write a fanfiction, and these details would definitely help me with that.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Reading the director's interviews helps since he personally answers, or at least strongly alludes to, a lot of things. You can find the interviews that pertain to each game on the homepage under their designated sections.

1. It's a common misconception that the KK left Riku because he fell to darkness when in actuality it's a mixture of Sora's heart becoming stronger while Riku's became weaker. In a sense, the KK left Riku because of the darkness but that was more of an indirect effect. Improper use of the darkness corrodes the heart and Riku kind of just threw himself at it without having any clue as to how to control it, which weakened his heart. Riku even denounced the heart as a "weak thing" to boot. Basically, it's a mix of Sora's heart becoming stronger over the course of his adventure because he learned the true meaning of friendship and all that jazz and Riku's heart becoming weaker that led to the KK switching sides.

2. The Keyblade chose him. He earned it after all the effort he put in KH1 and he sort of got it by "default" since it didn't want to stay with Riku anymore.

3. Riku interacted with Ansem SoD while on DI. We aren't given many details on what that interaction was like, but it's been hinted at that Riku had a direct hand in DI's destruction.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The Kingdom Key itself chose Sora by its own volition, Ven's heart being present had no impact on that.

This Keyblade was originally intended for Riku, but choose Sora over him because a) Riku's heart had become severely weakened and b) Sora's strong desire to help Riku (which is symbolized by him reaching out and his light touching Riku's)

The Kingdom Key is also not THE Keyblade of the Realm of Light but only ONE of the Keyblades from the Light Realm.
Except the X-blade, the Key of People's Heart (which is a Keyblade of the Heart Type) and Mickey's Kingdom Key D (which is one of the Dark Realm Type), every Keyblade shown in the series so far is a Keyblade of the Realm of Light, as is confirmed in the glossary in Dream Drop Distance:
Glossary on Keyblades said:

A key-shaped weapon forged by man during the age of fairy tales. Any other origins have yet to be revealed.
All Keyblades have one of three natures: light, darkness, or heart. these last two are exceptional; most documented Keyblades, including Sora's and Riku's, are Keyblades of light. The heart must be proven before a Keyblade will appear in its master's hand. No lock can withstand a Keyblade, nor can any non-agent of light.
Special Keychains allow the Keyblade's appearance and performance to be altered.

I'm not so sure on the Ansem-interaction part. but there does exist a scene in Re: Coded where Riku stands opposite the Robed Figure while Destiny Islands is falling apart around them.
That Riku destroyed the Islands himself by opening the door has been confirmed as far as I know. It wasn't Ansem (who didn't have a physical form then) but Riku himself.

limit

Glossary on Keyblades said:
A key-shaped weapon forged by man during the age of fairy tales. Any other origins have yet to be revealed. All Keyblades have one of three natures: light, darkness, or heart. these last two are exceptional; most documented Keyblades, including Sora's and Riku's, are Keyblades of light. The heart must be proven before a Keyblade will appear in its master's hand. No lock can withstand a Keyblade, nor can any non-agent of light.
Special Keychains allow the Keyblade's appearance and performance to be altered.

Except the one in Traverse Town which needed Blizzard :p

Anyway, just thought I'd add that Zexion did state Riku opened the door in Chain of Memories.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Sora gaining his ability to wield from Ventus is yet another misconception. Ventus' heart was still asleep that time, and it wasn't until Xion's death that it got stirred and allowed Roxas to wield a second Keyblade; even then, it still can't be said that it had become active again.

Here's the backing proof on this claim:

20 Mysteries Solved said:
-- So it's not "Once Sora's story is finished, another hero's story will begin", the hero is always Sora.
Nomura: Yes. One of the concepts behind the KH series is that the main character Sora isn't special, he's just a normal boy. Yes he does have connections with Ventus' heart, among others, but he hasn't inherited anything from them. He's just a normal boy you could find anywhere. I wanted to make Sora a character that the player could take onto themselves and feel that you don't have to be special. But connect to many people and you will realize your secret potential. With BbS I want to make fans excited to see Sora's return. The secret event is a symbol of that, so I hope everyone will get to see it and wait for Sora's next adventure.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Riku did have a confirmed interaction with Ansem (as the cloaked figure) for a brief time and Ansem provided Riku with a form of escape. He opened up a portal for Riku to leave DI in without getting swallowed by the darkness.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded - Cutscenes [1/2] - YouTube

As for opening the door to other worlds, I believe Riku also did that, but I don't think the cloaked figure really had any part in it and if he did, it was minimal. From what I understand, the heartless invaded DI purely because they were attracted to DI by the darkness in Riku's heart (which stemmed from his want to see other worlds) which also explains his acceptance of the darkness. The door to the world was open, they were all open at the time of KH1 (that's why Sora goes around locking them in the first place) so it's not like heartless couldn't invade any world, it's just that they did not locate it at the time of KH1 because there was not sufficient darkness to attract them.

blksabbath74

Sora gaining his ability to wield from Ventus is yet another misconception. Ventus' heart was still asleep that time, and it wasn't until Xion's death that it got stirred and allowed Roxas to wield a second Keyblade; even then, it still can't be said that it had become active again.

Here's the backing proof on this claim:

I was under the impression that the Sora was chosen by the Kingdom Key when Riku was claimed by Darkness, and that it later, at Hollow Bastion, it chose him again, finally, over Riku.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I was under the impression that the Sora was chosen by the Kingdom Key when Riku was claimed by Darkness, and that it later, at Hollow Bastion, it chose him again, finally, over Riku.

Which is true and has already been explained by Ruran and Sephiroth in their posts.

1. It's a common misconception that the KK left Riku because he fell to darkness when in actuality it's a mixture of Sora's heart becoming stronger while Riku's became weaker. In a sense, the KK left Riku because of the darkness but that was more of an indirect effect. Improper use of the darkness corrodes the heart and Riku kind of just threw himself at it without having any clue as to how to control it, which weakened his heart. Riku even denounced the heart as a "weak thing" to boot. Basically, it's a mix of Sora's heart becoming stronger over the course of his adventure because he learned the true meaning of friendship and all that jazz and Riku's heart becoming weaker that led to the KK switching sides.

The Kingdom Key itself chose Sora by its own volition, Ven's heart being present had no impact on that.

This Keyblade was originally intended for Riku, but choose Sora over him because a) Riku's heart had become severely weakened and b) Sora's strong desire to help Riku (which is symbolized by him reaching out and his light touching Riku's)

Gram

Banned
Awards
This^
The only contribution Ventus made was duel-wielding.

20 Mysteries of kh solved said:
Q4: Why can Roxas dual-wield?
A: Because he can use both Sora’s and Ventus’ keyblades.

Sora can wield two keyblades at once because he has Ventus’ as well as his own. As Roxas is a part of Sora, he also can use two. In Days Roxas awakened his ability to dual wield after fighting Xion. In KHII once Sora absorbs him, he can also dual-wield.

Roxas awakens his ability to dual-wield with his will to not forget Xion who also wielded a keyblade.

Other common misconceptions I see are to do with Xion. Namely the infamous debate on whether Xion's keyblade is false or not.
And yes folks her keyblade was indeed confirmed to be an imitation/false:

Days interview said:
-- Namine tells Riku that in order for Sora's memories to be restored, both Sora's Nobody and Xion must no longer exist. So he takes it on himself to defeat them, but when he and Roxas fought, was that the first time he had realized that Roxas was that Nobody?

Nomura: Riku only realizes it when Roxas takes off his hood and he can see his face, and he responds to his call. Until then he only half believed. When he first met Xion, he didn't think that she was Sora or Kairi's Nobody, and it was the same with Roxas. When he first saw Roxas, he had no proof of who he was. So that's why he lost to Roxas, he was surprised at him using a real keyblade rather than an imitation like Xion's, and he called out to him. Part of Riku didn't really want to believe that his best friend really had a Nobody.
source: 358/2 Days Scenario Interview - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Though how it can be both false yet function like real ones and release hearts is a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back