• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is the general consensus on FFXV now?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
I am about to restart it with all DLC, patches and everything and I was wondering what was the general consensus on this game now?
I remember it felt quite rushed at launch and it got better with most of the dlc, despite feeling very messy. Putting crucial plot points in DLC is a bad habit and should not be encouraged. But despite all that: do you consider it a good game now?
I think now with the additional side quests, ability to switch characters and extended maps, it got quite good.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I have no access to DLC and have only ever played the base game. I've always thought it was a great game, one of the best FFs..

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I haven't been too much into the FFXV discussion after Episode Ardyn was released, since I felt a sense of closure with the game, especially after they released the novel, but I presume the consensus is that "it could have been a better game" from the point of view of offering better storytelling.

Personally, I think FFXV should be a game remade years from now. Like 10, 15 years.

Even though, personally, It's perfect.

What I'd love to see is FF15 being used as a "template" for future FF games. Especially the character interaction part of FFXV, moreso focused on the Bros.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I followed this guide to all the FFXV media and it was an incredible experience. Sure, it’s a bit clunky/messy and would’ve been even better had it all been streamlined into a single flowing narrative, but damn that game packs an emotional punch.

I think the consensus now is, with all the content there, people can appreciate the vision and the powerful story it tells. The real letdown is that the 2nd batch of DLC got canceled after Episode Ardyn and told instead in novel form, but in my opinion the existing ending is better anyway and gives a solid sense of closure. The added DLC would’ve fleshed out a few major characters though so it’s still quite a bummer.

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards
I followed this guide to all the FFXV media and it was an incredible experience. Sure, it’s a bit clunky/messy and would’ve been even better had it all been streamlined into a single flowing narrative, but damn that game packs an emotional punch.

I think the consensus now is, with all the content there, people can appreciate the vision and the powerful story it tells. The real letdown is that the 2nd batch of DLC got canceled after Episode Ardyn and told instead in novel form, but in my opinion the existing ending is better anyway and gives a solid sense of closure. The added DLC would’ve fleshed out a few major characters though so it’s still quite a bummer.
Thanks for the guide. I will follow it as well since I am replaying it right now. I really believe that they have everything to make a legendary game in pieces.
For example, the simple act of adding dlc inside the main story without breaking the progression would have fixed most of the complaints. And Kingsglaive and Brotherhood should be accessible from a free DLC. So many people are playing this game without knowing those media exist.
Anyway, for the moment I like it. Seems solid. And my console is not overheating like it used to on day1, so that's a win.

PrettyGuard

Awards
While certain stuff is needlessly gated behind animations and stuff (Things like staying still when EXP gets earned after a fight, random "dialogues" that just annoy and add nothing) and other minor annoyances, it's well worth its price for you will get tons of content that'll keep you going for at least 80 hrs, even more, if you're very thorough.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
While the story is low-key forgettable (even after 2 play throughs), it being a ARPG still makes the game great. The music is awesome. Riding in the Regalia is grad. Four bros 4 life (+Aranea if you wanna count her). Dialogue is high tier (I mean who can forget hearing “I’ve come up with a new recipe!” so many times). Overall, great game despite development hell.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
So I played FF15 on day 1 and thought it was incredible. Some of the complaints people had were valid and even I have a handful of points that could have made the game a better overall experience, but the fact of the matter is that I platinumed this game in 13 days while playing side-by-side with my buddy, and we had a hell of a journey together.

I did watch both Brotherhood and Kingslglaive first, as well as played A King's Tale and enjoyed dissecting trailers along with people. So I was immersed and took in everything someone should to get the most out of the day 1 experience, and I think that helped.

I also played every DLC and update along the way with the exception of the Royal update. I played the new quests, the 14 crossover, the Terra Battle 2 crossover, Assassin's Creed, Chocobo Festival, and then I played Comrades to completion both as part of the game as well as when it went solo with new content, and finally all 4 story DLCs and Ardyn's anime episode. I even listened to the incredibly short little Gladio and Noctis Audiobook, which may not be canon? But was enjoyable nonetheless.

While I loved the game initially, it's absolutely way way better now, they did a hell of a job updating it, fixing things, and fleshing it out. Should chunks of it have been locked behind DLC? Absolutely not, the things they released as DLC felt like they really should have been there. But the crappy practice aside, looking at what we have as a whole now, I think it ended up being a fantastic game for anyone willing to jump into the spread out journey that it is.

I'm excited for whenever I decide to play it again and get to experience the royal update, as well as play the DLCs at their intended story spots just for fun. I also plan on finally reading the Dawn of the Future novel after I do play this next playthrough.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
God, its world is vast. Granted, this is coming from someone who has barely dipped their toes in MMOs.

I honestly do think it is a right proper Final Fantasy. I've managed to 100% complete a lot of the side content (A King's Tale, Comrades, Pocket Edition, Episodes Gladiolus & Prompto) and there's still a wealth of FFXV yet left for me to do. I have yet to 100% the main game, play two of the character DLCs, read the new novel, NG+, etc. I've been wanting to play Episode Ignis and Ardyn for a while, but other games keep preventing that for the time being. I think the only piece of material created for FFXV that's now inaccessible is the remake King's Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon.

While it's not my favorite, it might just be in my top 5. The total package is solid and merits a once-through at least. I haven't had time to replay it yet but when I do I'll be consulting the Reddit oracles for stuff like this FFXV Completion Guide.

AegisXIII

Awards
I have a weird complaint with it that I finally managed to grasp:

in order to understand the lore of the game, you need to watch brotherhood and kingsglaive,
but in order to understand the lore of brotherhood and kingsglaive, you need to play the game.

There is no proper start to enter the universe smoothly.

Same with the dlc. If you play them after finishing the game, you are confused by the ending of the game. But if you play them during your playthrough it spoils you the ending of the game.

Does that make sense?
It's like a giant puzzle. The first time you experience it you have to be confused. Only by experiencing it a second time do you get the full picture.

Reactions: Max
Awards
I think it's pretty good. Not one of the best in the series and it's far from perfect, but still a solid and enjoyable game. In my opinion, it's an improvement over XIII, and that's good enough for me.

Back