• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is love to you?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
I'm awesome like that.

j00r philosophical ways have inspired me.

((BTW, that comic in your sig friggin rocks.))

Ok, back to the convo. Seriously, were did the word orginate? Or what was its purpose. The meaning is so lose, so I wouldn't have a clue.

T

TwilightExternal

^It's a simple emotion that can make one happy and take his/her loneliness away for some people, and the complicated relationship-bonding of two people or more for other people.

Personally i don't think its just an emotion. If it was, it wouldn't be so intellectual and difficult to understand =\

I don't know

What about the psychological aspects of it? Talking about the chemicals in the brain still only counts as physiological.

The psychological chemicals that explain how you feel when you are in love is a mixture of Testoserone, Oestrogen, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Vasopressin, which explains the desire, happiness, and lust when you feel when you are in love, what is even more interesting is how after 12-24 months after being in love with someone all of those levels return to their same level as they were when the person was not in love.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
^It's a simple emotion that can make one happy and take his/her loneliness away for some people, and the complicated relationship-bonding of two people or more for other people.

Happyness =/= Love. Love dosn't make you happy, its the person/thing/item. It is neither a complicated bond. All it is is complicated.

For example. A couple gets married. They stay married for 5 years. By year 5, they just can't stand each other. So, they get a divorce. Even though they can't stand each other and make each other "unhappy", they still "love" each other.

Personally i don't think its just an emotion. If it was, it wouldn't be so intellectual and difficult to understand =\

We understand it, but don't know the "true" meaning.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Dogen, those fun thoughts in your post, you got them from where?

I'm talking about "love" in the brain, not "lust". Are you jumping to conclusions again?

Once again, I never said I directed this towards you. This is towards the grumpy old people I knew at my school. And a few people on this forum definitely, but I didn't name anyone.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Sometimes it wasn't just limited to people with money.

Exactly. So, of course, the concept of love was different, as it was, dare I say it, on the male's terms.

Excellent point; at the same time, would this imply that modern love is a feminine concept adopted by males purely for the purpose of getting a girl?

All I can say is that most men dislike writing poetry, yet some do it anyway to get the girls. End > means. It's not purely feminine, though, as most guys don't fantasize about what would be considered the dream life and family "back then".

If you would specify "back then" for me, I will attempt to provide an answer. Though your speaking of arranged marriages does certainly play a role in courtly love's development; C.S. Lewis provides a rather fascinating theory on this matter.

I'm.... not sure, actually. When were arranged marriages the norm? Middle Ages?

If people are willing to kill themselves for another, or do anything for another, and sacrifice for another, I'd hardly call love a "simple" thing or emotion. To me, it's more than that.

Why isn't it simple? Bees go on suicide bombings to protect the colony, yet I don't see many people analyzing bee patterns. Self-sacrifice is seen on lesser organisms, and just because we can think about it doesn't make the chemicals shooting through our nervous system any different.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
The psychological chemicals that explain how you feel when you are in love is a mixture of Testoserone, Oestrogen, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Vasopressin, which explains the desire, happiness, and lust when you feel when you are in love, what is even more interesting is how after 12-24 months after being in love with someone all of those levels return to their same level as they were when the person was not in love.

That still only explains the physiological aspcet. All that you're saying is what kind of chemicals are released when you experience it.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Isn't it the other way around? Shouldn't it be the kind of chemicals that your brain releases so you can experience it?

LordMune

ANTHEISTNOSTIC
Awards
After some thinking, the only reasonably simple explanation of "love" I can come up with is one word; synergy.

I think it sums it up rather well.

super_ninja_star

you are the beautiful unicorn who leaps through th
Well we had a pretty interesting discussion about this in my English class yesterday. We were comparing the greek heroine Antigone and her engaged Haimon, to Romeo and Juliet. And my teacher brought up the point that Romeo and Juliet's "love" was more of a lust (considering they were just teenagers ahem hormones and the entire play was over a course of three days) So then someone brought up the question "What is love?" And we all made suggestions but we found that no one could answer the question completely. Some said that love was true and lasted forever, but then what about cases when they don't and people still classify that as love? Or was that not love simply because it ended? And then there was what is the difference of love and lust. Some made the valid argument that lust was more of a physical attraction to a person rather than taking the time to know them as a person. But someone mentioned that you cannot have love without lust. So a descion was never really reached to that point.

I found it amusing that this one question occupied most of our time and that no one came to a true defenition. Yet, I believe we found an answer. There is no defenition of love. So it's almost your call as to wether you're in love with someone or not. Love is what you make it to be

T

TwilightExternal

Happyness =/= Love. Love dosn't make you happy, its the person/thing/item. It is neither a complicated bond. All it is is complicated.

For example. A couple gets married. They stay married for 5 years. By year 5, they just can't stand each other. So, they get a divorce. Even though they can't stand each other and make each other "unhappy", they still "love" each other.

We understand it, but don't know the "true" meaning.
They only get divorced because their love for each other ends or breaks or is hidden and they don't know it [another reason why love is so confusing].

I guess it's also confusing because of the many meanings people say it has/is. [Chemical reaction, emotion, action etc].

Athletics Legend

*The Future Athlete*
umm, real love is when you want some desperately because you care for them

Fake love is that you want their money or your in it for sexual lust and crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back