• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► "What IS Love?" (FINISHED!!)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
Re: "What IS Love?" (UPDATED!!)

Xigbar shook his head. “Wow. You’re really going to take advantage of an innocent kid for gambling…unbelievable…a hundred munny on the Superior mentioning Kingdom Hearts more than once.

EPICNESS!! XD Love that last line right there by Xiggy!!

You did amazing as always Org! Great portraying all of them from the wimpy Demyx to the serious Saix and the sly Luxord. A work of art this fanfic is ^^;;

And miss you Org!! *glomps* Lent needs to end sooner!!

Guilded.Raven

Aw, man, this fanfic is hillarious!!! I really would liked to have heard more about that blind date thing, though. That had potential for some serious (and hillarious) screw ups...

Organization_42

Proud Demyx/Kairi Shipper
Awards

^ Oh, the blind date? That's actually the subject of another fanfic that I'm working on, but I haven't finished it yet!

Okay guys, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I'm done with Chapter 4! Yay! The bad news is that I'm having some serious trouble uploading it. No yay! It keeps saying the link is broken and stuff like that. I'm very sorry that I've kept you waiting so long, and I thank you all for your kind reviews! As soon as I can get the next installment up, we should be back in business!

Organization_42

Awards

I sure hope the post gets through this time...here goes nothing!

Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts or its lovely characters; they belong to Square-Enix and Disney, as always!
Beta Reader: Madammina! Shower her with love and cookies and gratitude!

Chapter 4

In general, there were three places in the Castle That Never Was in which you were likely to find Xemnas: his room, which no one but himself ever dared to enter, the Altar of Naught, where he liked to gaze at Kingdom Hearts, and the Round Room, where everyone gathered for Organization meetings. Roxas teleported to the Round Room first because that was the place that he visited the most often. But Xemnas wasn't there, so he tried the Altar of Naught. He really hoped that he found the Superior there, because he had no idea of how to find Xemnas' room.

Luckily, Xemnas was indeed at the Altar of Naught, staring at the newly-formed Kingdom Hearts with almost a dreamy expression on his face. Much to Roxas' annoyance, he was so deeply in thought that it took a lot of shouting to finally get his attention. "What is troubling you, XIII?" he asked calmly. He almost sounded bored.

"Sir, I want to know what love is, and Luxord said that you would be the best person to ask. So, could you please tell me the answer? No one else wants to."

"It is a mystery that is of no importance to you," said Xemnas, "Go concentrate your mind on other things, like collecting hearts."

"But Luxord said you'd help me!" Roxas protested, "And he also said that you should answer because otherwise I'm going to be too distracted from heart collection, or something like that."

That got Xemnas to turn around. For the first time since Roxas had met him, he looked exasperated. "Very well, I will try to explain the term 'love' in a way that you can understand. 'Love' is an emotion that humans feel towards a certain person, place, or object. It is when they value or treasure that person, place, or object amongst all others. That is the basic definition. However, there are many different forms of love. A person might say that he loves the tree in his yard, but he does not mean the same thing when he says that he loves his mother, his father, or his wife."

"What's a mother, a father, and a...?"

"Do not interrupt me."

"Yes, sir."

"Thank you. In the same way, when a man says that he loves his mother, he does not mean the same thing when he says he loves his wife or his children. There are different levels of love that a human can feel, all different, all complex. You cannot possibly fully understand that experience of love because you lack the required heart. But some day, Roxas, some day, we will complete our Kingdom Hearts, and on that day, we shall become complete beings once more! We shall finally remember what it is like to feel, and then you will know the answers to the questions that you seek!"

Xemnas turned back towards the large moon and threw his hands up to the sky. "Look at it, Roxas! Look at this magnificent structure that you and XIV have helped to create!"

Oh no, here he goes again... thought Roxas.

"How its radiance shines down on this desolate, incomplete city! How its power continues to grow each day! Its essence remains a mystery to us Nobodies, but that is what we, the Organization, must unravel! We must study the heart so that we can understand its power, and use that power to its fullest potential!"

He's never going to stop talking...I'm going to be here for hours! thought Roxas.

"Can you imagine what that will be like? To feel that power coursing through me, to rule over a new world, no, a new realm, shared by Nobodies, humans, and Heartless alike! I will have all the knowledge, all the power, all the..."

Roxas had officially stopped listening to Xemnas' speech.

"XIII? XIII, are you even listening to me?"

Roxas quickly pulled his head up and saw the Superior glaring at him. "Of course, sir!" he said quickly, "You've...um...given me a lot to think about!"

"Good. But do not dwell on it too long, my chosen wielder. Use all your strength to collect as many hearts as possible for our Organization."

"Yes, sir. I'll do that, sir." Anything that'll get you to shut up for five minutes...

"Oh, and Roxas? Tell Luxord that I wish to speak with him immediately."

"Yes, sir."

Roxas teleported back to the Grey Room and did as Xemnas instructed. To his surprise and confusion, as soon as he mentioned that the Superior wanted to see Luxord, Axel and Xigbar burst out laughing. "Cough up, Luxord!" shouted Axel.

"Quick, Roxas- tell us how many times he brought up Kingdom Hearts!" said Xigbar.

"I don't know," replied Roxas, "I lost count."

"HA!"

"Yes, yes," said Luxord, "That's two hundred munny for you, Axel, and one hundred munny for Xigbar, and...Roxas, did you, at any point, fall asleep during Xemnas' speech?"

"Well, no, but I stopped listening if that's what you meant..."

"Well then, it looks like you'll be giving all that munny back to me, won't you, gentlemen?" said Luxord with a smirk, "And don't grumble at me like that; I gave you excellent odds on that one!"

"Don't grumble- you just cleaned me out!" yelled Axel.

"Well, let the gambler beware," replied Luxord with a shrug, "Hand it all over now, before I have to listen to whatever lecture our Superior has in store for me."

Roxas didn't even try to understand what was going on in front of him. He was getting very tired and decided it was about time he went back to sleep in his room. So he left the trio of gamblers to fight out the winnings amongst themselves, and walked up the many staircases that lead to his room. Before he collapsed on his bed, he took off his long Organization coat and went to hang it up in his closet.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Roxas jumped away from his closet with a yelp and dropped his coat. "Demyx!" he yelled, "What are you doing in my closet?!"

Demyx folded his arms and glared at him. "For your information, this is all YOUR fault, Mr. Tattle-Tale!"

"What...Demyx, what are you talking about?"

"I'm hiding from Axel, because somebody had to spill the beans and tell Xiggy that stupid story about Axel and Larxene! Now he's gonna kill me!"

"Axel's downstairs in the Grey Room," replied Roxas, "I don't think he cares anymore. So get out of my room."

"Oh suuuuuuurrrrre, he's fine now, but as soon as he sees me, he's gonna rip me apart!"

"Okay, fine. Just get out of my room!"

"No way! I'm not leaving 'til it's safe! Don't worry, I'll be quiet; you won't even know that I'm here!"

"Demyx, I am not going to be able to sleep when I know that someone's hiding in my closet."

"Too bad, you should've thought of that before you blabbed to Xigbar!"

"You should have thought of that before you told me that stupid story! And it didn't even help me! I still don't understand love!"

Demyx sighed. "All right...look, man, what if I make you a deal? I know this girl who has a heart; maybe she'll have a better explanation for you. If I ask her to give me a good explanation about love, will you let me hide from Axel for at least one night?"

Roxas thought it over. He was surprised by this new information; the Organization generally discouraged any interaction between Nobodies and the people with hearts. Was she a friend from Demyx's past, or something like that? And did he really want to know the answer this badly? He shrugged. "All right, deal."

~ Tune in next time for THE EPIC CONCLUSION OF THIS SAGA...okay, not really, but next time it will be the final chapter! As always, reviews of any kind are appreciated! Thanks! :D

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
Re: "What IS Love?" (CHAPTER 4 IS UP!!)

*Rolling on the floor literally laughing out loud* XDDDDDDDDDDDD

And does that ending imply a certain bit of KaiMyx, wifen? ;D

HeartOfTheHero

rotfl, omg that was GREAT!!! i loved it!
xemnas' explanation of love turning into a rant about kingdom hearts, lol, excellent
ooo, and let me guess, kairi's going to be the one who finally explains it in an understandable way
can't wait for the next update! :)

Organization_42

Awards

Thanks Virgil and Heart of the Hero!!! Yeah, in the end I decided I couldn't NOT have something in there about Kingdom Hearts, cause Xemnas has such a beautiful relationship with it...*gigglesnort*

Incidentally VT, did you happen to catch my shout-out to a certain Xem/Tree pairing...?

As for Kairi and Kaimyx...ALL SHALL BE REVEALED IN DUE TIME...

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

Thanks Virgil and Heart of the Hero!!! Yeah, in the end I decided I couldn't NOT have something in there about Kingdom Hearts, cause Xemnas has such a beautiful relationship with it...*gigglesnort*

Incidentally VT, did you happen to catch my shout-out to a certain Xem/Tree pairing...?

As for Kairi and Kaimyx...ALL SHALL BE REVEALED IN DUE TIME...

I did notice the XemTree reference! I think my plans are beginning to work! >:D

s1narutos1gildragonin30years

I'll be taking that as a "Yes, expect FULLBLOWN KaiMyx!!! >8DDDDDDD" ;D

Organization_42

Awards

What plans?! I wasn't aware that you had any plans! O_O

And no, not FULLBLOWN Kaimyx...not that I'm saying it's Kairi, lol! ;) I write pairing fanfics all the time, so I'm trying to keep this story relatively low-key for once. Which is ironic when it's a story about love!

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t

Ha ha ha!!! That was so funny!!! My favorite part was Xemnas' Kingdom Hearts rant; seriously, he can't talk for thirty seconds without mentioning Kingdom Hearts a million times. So, is Kairi the one who is going to explain love to Roxas? I have a feeling that she is the girl Demyx knows. Anyway, great job, and I look forward to more.

Organization_42

Awards

Wow, I am one pathetic shipper...all I do is have Demyx mention knowing a girl and EVERYONE says Kairi...well, it COULD be Kairi...or maybe it ISN'T...but maybe it IS...I love messing with you guys! s1gildragonin30years

Anyways, thanks TwilightRiku! I'm glad you liked it!

Passion

Silver Member
Awards

Haha DJ is going to love that Xem/Tree reference there.
And I'm suspecting our curious traveler is going to meet Kairi?
*Waits for next chapter*

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman

A person might say that he loves the tree in his yard

Haha DJ is going to love that Xem/Tree reference there.

Love can not begin to describe how great it feels to see Xemtree referenced xD Very well done chapter Org!! Xemnas' rant was perfect and overall another great one! Look forward to the final chapter, though it will be sad to see it end at the same time!

Organization_42

Awards

It had to be done.

s1demteeth

Thanks guys! I'll try to have the final chapter up sometime this week!

Organization_42

Awards
Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts, but you already knew that. I don't own the infamous "The Legend of Zelda" reference either. ;)

Beta Reader: Madammina! Thank you! :D

Chapter 5​

The next morning, after telling Demyx that it was time for him to come out of the closet, Roxas walked to the Grey Room, figuring that he would go on his mission, have ice-cream with Axel, and hopefully get an answer to his question from Demyx’s mysterious friend. But when he reached the lounge, he found Luxord waiting for him with two messages: they were going on a mission together, and Xion had fallen into a deep sleep and wasn’t waking up. After that, the question of love went right out of Roxas’ head. He spent the following week going from his mission, to eating ice cream with Axel, and then spending the rest of the day by Xion’s bedside. As the days passed and her condition didn’t change, he stopped paying attention to what the other members did as he spent all his time worrying about her.

Finally, Demyx looked up from his sitar one day and said, “Man, can you stop pacing around like that? I can’t concentrate on my music!” Roxas shrugged and sat down on the couch across from him. “So I’m guessing she’s not awake yet?” asked Demyx as he went back to tuning his instrument, “That’s so weird, isn’t it?” Roxas nodded. “Dude, are you feeling okay? You’ve been acting a little weird too.”

“I don’t know,” replied Roxas. He didn’t really want Demyx asking him questions, though he hadn’t really talked to the guy in a while. In fact, the last time they’d ever had a conversation was about a week ago… “Oh yeah,” said Roxas, sitting up a little bit and feeling eager to briefly get his mind off of his own problems, “Did your friend ever tell you about love?”

Demyx winced. “Oh yeah…right…about THAT…”

“You forgot, didn’t you?”

“No, I did not!” said Demyx in an offended voice, “Geez Roxas, give me some more credit than that!”

“So what happened?” asked Roxas curiously.

“Well, I went to visit her, and we were sitting on this dock and just talking like usual, and then I said, ‘Hey, how would you define ‘love’?’ And she was like, ‘Huh? Demyx, is this your weird way of hitting on me or something?’ And then I was like, ‘WHAT? No way!’ and then I made up this excuse about how my clueless little brother had asked me and I had no idea what to tell him, and then SHE says, ‘Demyx, you dork, you couldn’t explain something simple like ‘love’ to him?’ and I said, “Well, excuuuuuuuse me, princess…’”

“Demyx?” Roxas interrupted, “Would you just get to the point?”

“I’m getting there, I’m getting there! So then she starts waxing lyrics about how love is the most important connection that you could ever have with a person and that you’ll always be there for each other and how it’s full of sunshine and rainbows and puppies and passion and longing and she was going on and on and on. So…I kind of, sort of, well, I spaced out a bit, and the next thing I knew, she was asking me what I thought. I didn’t want to tell her that I’d basically stopped listening to what she was saying, because then she’d probably smack me over the head, so I just told her that she was a genius and thanked her for helping us out.”

“But she didn’t help us out,” said Roxas slowly. Forget love, he thought, I barely understood a word of what he was saying!

“Yeah, but SHE doesn’t know that!” said Demyx proudly.

“So…that’s it? You never found out the answer?”

“Nope. Sorry, man.”

“It’s okay. Forget about it.”

“Roxas?” The two boys looked up in surprise and saw Saïx standing over them with a stern expression on his face. “Aren’t you supposed to be collecting hearts in Twilight Town?”

Roxas jumped up. “Oh, right, the mission! Yeah, I didn’t forget or anything…” He did not like Saïx bossing him around, but nowadays he found himself feeling eager to get out of the castle and away from the others when he wasn’t with Axel or watching over Xion. So, in a weird way, he liked being sent out on missions. “I’m on it!” he told Saïx, “‘Later, Demyx!”

As he teleported away, he could have sworn he heard Saïx growling at Demyx, “Have you been rubbing off on him?

Twilight Town was just as calm and peaceful as usual, at least when there were no Heartless around. But somehow, they always seemed to show up as soon as Roxas took out his Keyblade. He fought off his enemies with ease and relished the ability to let off some steam. Xion wasn’t waking up, nobody cared except Axel, Saïx was acting like a jerk…

…and Demyx STILL couldn’t tell him what “love” meant? Not that it really mattered, but how was it that nobody in the Organization could answer a simple question? He’d thought they were wise and intelligent, that they knew everything! Were they really stupid after all, or were they just hiding something from him? What was it about “love” that they didn’t want him to know?

“OW!”

Roxas jumped and stopped swinging his Keyblade to see who had made the noise. The culprit was a familiar-looking brunette girl in an orange shirt and khaki pants. She was glaring at him and rubbing her shoulder. “I was trying to get your attention!” she cried, “And you whacked me with that key-thing that you’re using!”

“Oh!” said Roxas, as he blushed a little, “Sorry, I didn’t hear you!”

“Yeah, yeah,” grumbled the girl, but she still smiled a little, “Boys are all the same. Completely deaf to everyone when you’ve got weapons in your hands and you’re in the ‘zone,’ or whatever Hayner calls it.”

“The what?”

“What I was trying to ask you was why you’re back in town? Are you staying long?”

“Huh? No, just for the afternoon.”

“Oh. Well, if you change your mind, there’s a Struggle tournament going on at the end of the week, and I was wondering if you’d like to sign up? It’s not official; it’s just a practice run for the real thing at the end of the summer. You looked like you’d be great at it!”

“Really?” He had no idea what “Struggle” was, but hey, a compliment was a compliment. “Thanks! But I think I’ll pass.”

The girl nodded thoughtfully. “You look like you’ve got a lot on your mind.”

Roxas shrugged and looked at the ground. “You could say that.”

“Anything that I can help you with?”

“I don’t see how you can,” replied Roxas, “Unless…wait. Maybe you could at least answer one question for me.”

“Yeah?”

“Can you describe love to me?”

The brunette stared at him with wide eyes. Then she stared some more. “That’s what’s bothering you?” she asked, “Wait, this isn’t a lame pick-up line, is it?”

Roxas shook his head. “I don’t even know what a pick-up line is.”

“It’s when you try to…wait, you really don’t understand love?” Her voice sounded a little more sympathetic, though no less confused. “How is that even possible? I mean, I knew boys were clueless, but not that clueless!”

“I’m not clueless!” he practically shouted.

The girl put her hands up. “Sorry, sorry, I wasn’t trying to offend you or anything! Hang on, let me think of how I could answer this…hmm…” She turned her back on him and pondered the question for a few moments. When she finally turned around again, she had a little grin on her face. “Actually, maybe it would help if I just showed you an example of love.”

“How would you do that?” asked Roxas. And why hadn’t anyone in the Organization thought of that solution? He hadn’t realized that love could be demonstrated.

“Well…there’s a new movie that just came out that’s all about love, but Hayner and Pence won’t see it with me! Want to come with me instead? Not as a date or anything, but it’d be great to finally get to see this movie, and it might help you! Please? I’ll buy the popcorn!”

What’s a movie, what is a date, and what is popcorn? wondered Roxas. “Um, okay,” he said out loud, “By the way, I forget your name.”

The girl smiled. “Olette. And you’re…Rocco?”

“Roxas,” he corrected.

“Roxas! That’s right! Ok, I’ll lead the way!”

***​

Several hours later, Axel arrived in Twilight Town and sat on the clock tower, waiting for Roxas to appear. Said boy showed up a few minutes later with his ice cream in hand and a thoughtful expression on his face. “Hey, Roxas!” called Axel, “How was your mission?”

“Weird,” replied his friend.

“Weird? You were here, weren’t you? How weird could it have been?”

“Well…see…I met this girl…and we went to the movies together…”

Axel spit out his ice cream. “Say that again?”

“Yeah, her name was Olette,” explained Roxas, “She saw me fighting Heartless and we started talking. Then I asked her what love was…”

“Uh-oh.”

“…and at first she didn’t believe me…”

“Oh boy.”

“…but then she said it would be easier if she demonstrated love to me…”

Sweet Kingdom Hearts!” Axel slapped a hand against his face. “Roxas, what did you do?

Roxas shook his head innocently. “I already told you. We went to the movies because she said that there was one about love that she really wanted to see anyway. She bought us some popcorn- which tastes really, really good, by the way, you should try some- and then we talked some more and then she went home. And I bought ice cream and came here.”

“That’s it?” asked Axel warily, “No kissing or…anything?”

“No, that happened a lot in the movie that we saw, but we didn’t try anything like that. That would’ve been weird.”

Axel let out a huge sigh of relief. “Good. Because that would NOT have looked good on your report to Saïx. You know we’re not supposed to interact with people unless absolutely necessary, right?”

“Hey, she invited me!” protested Roxas.

“All right, all right, I promise I won’t say anything. Just be more careful next time, okay?” Roxas nodded, and Axel yawned and stretched. “So…are you finally satisfied? Did you ever get an answer to your question?”

Roxas nodded again. “Yeah, I think I did…and I can see why you guys had such a hard time explaining it to me.”

“Oh? What do you think love is?”

Roxas frowned for a moment, trying to come up with the right words. Then he said, “Well, like you told me, it’s a strange, special relationship between two people.” Axel nodded. “And it sounds kind of dangerous. I guess that’s why nobody wanted to tell me about it.”

“Yeah…wait…dangerous?

“Well, yeah,” said Roxas, “I get it now, why Xaldin called it foolish and Demyx said that people have trouble admitting when they’re in love. It’s a really strange emotion where you suddenly feel like sucking your friend’s mouth all the time, that “kissing” thing that you and Olette mentioned. And it makes you cry a lot for some reason. And once you love someone, you start acting really stupid, especially the girls. But the guys are also pretty stupid because they can never understand why the girls are crying and they seem to lose their shirts a lot too. At least in the movie they did, because they hardly ever wore any. I don’t know, it’s kind of hard to explain now, but to me, love is when you spend a lot of time with somebody that you’re not supposed to spend time with, and you suck each other’s faces when no one’s looking, and unlike what Xemnas told me, you’re not allowed to love more than one person because otherwise everyone gets really mad.” Roxas stopped to take a bite out of his ice cream. “It’s a very weird emotion, and I hope I never experience it even if I do get my heart back.”

He looked at Axel, expecting to hear some kind of confirmation. Instead, Axel threw back his head and laughed. For a long time, he laughed and laughed and laughed, harder than Roxas had ever heard a Nobody do so, until it almost looked like tears had appeared in his eyes. “Wow!” he gasped, “Oh wow…that was…I can’t even…” He couldn’t go on because he was still laughing too hard.

“What’s so funny?” asked Roxas, feeling a little peeved by this reaction, “Was I wrong?”

Axel needed another moment to control himself. After taking several deep breaths and making sure that no more laughing fits were about to come up, he said, “Roxas? I have no idea why Xemnas thought it would be smart to put me in charge of you when you first got here, but for once, I think he might’ve made a smart decision.”

Roxas blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“Nothing. But wow, that’s the best definition of love that I’ve ever heard. I can’t remember the last time that I laughed so hard…” His voice trailed off, and he looked away from his young friend as if to watch the sunset.

Roxas didn’t know what to say, but it didn’t sound like he’d done anything wrong. “Okay…” he replied, “Thanks…I guess.”

And so ended Roxas’s epic quest to understand the definition of love!

“So, there you have it!” said Demyx, taking a bow, “That’s one of the crazy things that happened in the Organization while you were asleep!”

Xion stared at him. “Um, okay. That was a good story and I’m glad things worked out for Roxas. But do you realize that we’ve just wasted a lot of time when we could’ve been doing our mission?”

Really?” gasped Demyx, “No way! Well, unfortunately, telling you that story and acting out all the parts has really tired me out…soooooo…you think you could help me out by doing most of the work here?”

“…you’re just trying to get out of work again, aren’t you?”

“Yes. Yes, I am.”

Xion sighed. It would’ve been smarter to blow off Demyx’s attempts to distract her in the beginning, especially when she could’ve simply asked Roxas to tell her about that incident later. But the pair had already wasted twenty minutes and Demyx was more likely to be a hindrance now. “Fine,” she said to her lazy colleague, “But just this once!”

Demyx punched a fist in the air and followed her through the mazes of Wonderland. And he silently thanked Roxas for being unable to grasp the concept of romance.

THE END!

A/N: At LAST, this fic is finally done! It wasn't even that long, which shows how lazy I am. But I just wanted to thank everyone who reviewed; this was the biggest response that I've ever gotten for one of my KHI fanfics! I really enjoyed reading your comments, and as always, if you have any criticisms, let me know, because I want to improve! Thanks so much!

TwilightRiku_13

HIT THE DECK!!!!!
Awards
At my house with Riku, Saix, and Zexion, rocking t
Oh may God, that was so hilarious!!! I busted out laughing at Roxas' definition of love; that was the funniest part of the whole chapter. I also laughed at the part where Demyx was talking about his conversation with Kairi; man, his stupidass would space out in the middle of her love explanation. Anyway, great job on the story, and I look forward to more of them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back