• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is "Kingdom Hearts" exactly?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaRay

In KHI, Ansem summoned the door to darkness and called Kingdom Hearts.

In BBS, Xehanort called Kingdom Hearts and it was a heart shaped.

In KHII, Xemnas was trying to collect his own Kingdom Hearts. Heck, he even talked to it.

So what excatly is Kingdom Hearts, and what the point of it existing? I dont think it ever been addressed in a game (not sure about interviews/novels.)

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Someone will probably reply with more sources, given time, but the short answer is this:

"Kingdom Hearts" can be used to refer to both an existing thing - the original Kingdom Hearts - and to any old collection of Hearts large enough to serve as McGuffin. The original KH is something Nomura calls the "proof of life" and someone will no doubt link that interview when they reply, which should answer your question about what it is and why it exists. At least as well as we can answer!

Ansem and Xemnas' Kingdom Hearts have both been confirmed in-game as the artificial kind, just a bunch of Hearts stuck together with superglue. Xehanort is trying to find the original Kingdom Hearts by reforging the X-blade, so the one in BBS is presumably the original Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited:

MegaRay

^ So the orginal "Kingdom Hearts" never shown in any game?

thanks for the reply btw.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Well, again, it might be the one in BBS. There's no reason to think it isn't, Xehanort does have the X-Blade's two halves on-hand, and he certainly hasn't been collecting Hearts on the apocalyptic scale required to make a fake. But on the other hand, the X-Blade existed for all of five minutes before being destroyed, so we just can't know for sure. Maybe that was just a vision of Kingdom Hearts, or a connection to it, or that's what it looks like locked up. We can't really say for certain at the moment - hopefully we'll see in KH3.

Other forum members probably know the specifics better than me - certainly the interviews.

MegaRay

I see. Hope we can see it in KHIII as well, and yeah I agree that the BBS ver was a connection to the orginal or a vision.

It would be nice if anyone can link me to the interviews tho.

Anagram

Banned
I saw this on tumblr today concerning the kingdom hearts in BBS:

tumblr_inline_njh34ekw9w1s7ucmw.jpg

Someone posted a picture of some entry in the timeline section of Trinity Archive. If Xehanort didn't make it like the others then was it just there?

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
It might be. I mean, as a weird metaphysical concept, it doesn't have to be anywhere, but maybe it does have a physical location, and that location happens to be by the Keyblade Graveyard? Why not have a big climactic battle right in front of Kingdom Hearts? Alternately (and perhaps more likely), it "arrived" when Ven and Vanitas got ready for their final battle.

Though if you want my actual opinion on this, it's: FM+'s secret ending showed him summoning Kingdom Hearts for dramatic impact and they decided to keep it without thinking about it too much.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Well, it is possible that the KH shown in BBS was the real one, or at least a part of the real one as it is said that it responds to the pieces of the X-blade. In BBS, two of the pieces clashed and formed a pseudo-X-blade.
During BBS itself Vanitas states that the Keyblade Graveyard is "the one and only place to spawn the X-blade" so while the KG may not be the location of the true KH (that is the Realm of Darkness), it may be the place where the X-blade was originally located.

In DDD, both Yen Sid and Xehanort explain what happened with the original, true KH at least from what they know of the legends surrounding it:

Yen Sid said:
Long ago, in the age of fairy tales, the World was filled with light--a gift, many believed, from an unseen power known as "Kingdom Hearts."
You see, Kingdom Hearts was protected by its counterpart, the "Chi-blade," so that none could ever lay hands on its mysteries.
But in time, the World was overrun by legions who wanted the light all for themselves, and the first shadows were cast upon the land.

These warriors crafted "Keyblades" in the image of the original Chi-blade, and waged a great war over Kingdom Hearts.
We call this the "Keyblade War." But though the war extinguished all light from the World, the darkness could not reach the brightness inside every child's heart.
With that light, the World was remade as we know it today, with countless smaller worlds shining like stars in the sky. As for the real Chi-blade, it did not survive the battle.
The two elements that created it, one of darkness and one of light, shattered into twenty pieces--seven of light; thirteen of darkness.
And as for the source of all light--the one true Kingdom Hearts--it was swallowed by the darkness, never to be seen again.
As long as it remains there, even the brightest world will have its dark corners. After all, light begets darkness, and darkness is drawn to light.

For this reason, some decided to use the Keyblade-- a weapon designed to conquer the light--to defend the light instead. These were the first heroes of the Keyblade.

Master Xehanort said:
In ancient times, people believed that light was a gift from an unseen land by the name of Kingdom Hearts. But Kingdom Hearts was safeguarded by its counterpart, the Chi-blade.
Warriors vied for that precious light, thus beginning the "Keyblade War." The violent clash shattered the Chi-blade into twenty pieces--seven of light, and thirteen of darkness.

And the only real Kingdom Hearts was swallowed by the darkness, never to surface again.
I once tried to create my own pure light and darkness to forge the Chi-blade, but the attempt ended in failure.
In my eagerness, I had lost sight of the correct way to achieve my goal. I acted rashly. I can admit that now.

The glossary in DDD explains at least the KH's shown in KH 1 and 2:

DDD said:
[h=3]Kingdom Hearts[/h] According to legend, the source of all true light is known as "Kingdom Hearts." We know Xehanort has created two Kingdom Hearts now, both artificially, by amassing enough hearts. One was made from the hearts of worlds, and the other from the hearts of people. The Kingdom Hearts made from the hearts of worlds had a door that led to the realm of darkness; its depths were never fully charted. The Kingdom Hearts made from the hearts of people was believed to have the power to recomplete someone whose heart had been lost.

MegaRay

Wow. That kind of information i was seeking, thanks sephiroth and everyone else who replied.

I read bbs/1/2 reports and yet I didnt get the answer. It all make sense now tho. Ansem called Kingdom Hearts through the world hearts thus it was different than Xemnas'.

Veritas7340

True Kingdom Hearts = The Source of All Hearts from Every World and Every Inhabitant. Every heart is connected to it, because they all originated from there.

This is my opinion, but Sephiroth0812 posted the answer; the DDD glossary is considered to be KH law lol

rodx

I think in the possibility of kingdom hearts be like the tower in the dark tower series of stephen king (who read the ending of the first book can have a idea of what I saying). every level of the tower is a universe.

The Castle Oblivion is a kind of Kingdom Hearts thinking in this way, but with memories besides hearts,and nomura said that heart and memories is connected...

That place in the ending of the world in the first KH whem you re enter in various worlds,

for those who play Super Smash Bross Brawl, think in the Great Maze in the ending of Subspace Emissary mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back