• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is it with Nomura's nitpicking with Donald and Goofy's redesigns?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Noivern

Awards
I know I have mentioned how I did a replay of the franchise in a lot of my posts, but seriously: going through all of the games at once only highlighted how weird it is that Sora's companions, the co-protagonists of the franchise who are besides us at nearly all times in the 3 main entries of the series and one of the spin offs, and also show up in every other title... use the same design in all games besides their official position outfits used in BBS and a few other times in other titles.
Also the Chain of Memories intro where they use their classic Disney outfits for some reason before switching back to the KH attire, lol.

While we could probably excuse this as Disney characters needing a iconic look specific to KH to keep up with their brand, Mickey has gone through 4 different outfits: he first gets a original KH outfit in CoM, then changes to another outfit in 2, shows up with a different outfit in the past in BBS and then gets ANOTHER new look for 3 to match Riku. There's also the Org Coat look.

So seriously, why can't our lifelong companions get new outfits? Am I the only one annoyed by this?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It wouldn't be so glaring if Mickey didn't change outfits every game like you said, and to make matters worse he's not even in the games for as long as Donald and Goofy are most of the time, minus BBS. It didn't bother my in KH2 because Sora got a change of clothes for a real reason. In KH3 there is no excuse as to why they wouldn't get new clothes too. I guess since they aren't Keyblade users, new clothes for them isn't a top priority. Even though they change clothes in certain Disney Worlds like Pirates and Toybox.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yeah, KH3 should have given them new outfits as well, they'd be fighting a long side Sora and Co. so they'd need new clothes to guard them from darkness just as much as everyone else did.
Also Donald looked disappointed he didn't get anything.

While I do like their designs, i feel it's time to mix it up, maybe next Saga we can start with new outfits for all that didn't get them in KH3?

Noivern

Awards
While I do like their designs, i feel it's time to mix it up, maybe next Saga we can start with new outfits for all that didn't get them in KH3?

That part specifically, yes to this. I will be extremely disappointed if Roxas and the Wayfinder trio keeps their current outfits going forward, specially Ventus and his twin.

Roxas outfit was a parallel to Sora's KH2 outfit (even though his technically came first), while Ventus is supposed to be a combination of the two. Roxas already grew into his own character personality wise, while Ven is still progressing (UX Ven is very much a standout while BBS Ven is another take on Sora, really) and not only do they need that to become less associated to Sora, they need to be able to stand out from each other, lol.
A change in their haircuts would be cool too; I love the artwork used for the announcement of the spin off trilogy (the pannel with Coded, BBS and Days) where they have slightly different haircuts (Roxas having slightly longer, unruly hair).

Also please for the love of god please let Naminé get proper clothes so she's not walking around in that skintight white dress, please?

disney233

Awards
I guess since they aren't Keyblade users, new clothes for them isn't a top priority. Even though they change clothes in certain Disney Worlds like Pirates and Toybox.
Seeee....I would buy that excuse....IF IT WASN'T FOR HAYNER, PENCE, & OLETTE. If THEY can get new clothing, there's REALLY no excuse to exclude Donald & Goofy at this point.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Seeee....I would buy that excuse....IF IT WASN'T FOR HAYNER, PENCE, & OLETTE. If THEY can get new clothing, there's REALLY no excuse to exclude Donald & Goofy at this point.

Pretty certain making designs for original characters is much easier for Nomura than it is for Disney characters. As I mentioned above you, perhaps Nomura did not want to deal with the approval process.

Mickey alone was probably hell to get approvals.

disney233

Awards
Unless it’s a Disney interference thing
As said above shouldn't they get new clothing while Mickey gets a new wardrobe almost every game? I mean...I get that Mickey's the star of the show, but...REALLY, in this case, Donald & Goofy have far more important than him. Given that they've been with Sora since the beginning of the game, while Mickey has at least a few seconds of screentime, a new wardrobe for them's warranted at this point.

Pretty certain making designs for original characters is much easier for Nomura than it is for Disney characters. As I mentioned above you, perhaps Nomura did not want to deal with the approval process.

Mickey alone was probably hell to get approvals.
I...suppose that makes sense. Somewhat.

Noivern

Awards
I wonder if Nomura just didn't want to bother with the approval process...
Not sure how that would work considering they got new forms for Toyhouse and Pirateworld, although I could see Disney being nitpicky over the main design that gets promoted compared to niche worlds because of merchan.
But we get merchan of specific world forms, so really, what's the point there?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'm pretty sure SDG's toy forms were meant to resemble Yozora, Magia, and Aegis, hence why Rex thought them as such, except they really...don't, so sometimes I wonder if their toy forms were based on new outfits they were meant to have.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Not sure how that would work considering they got new forms for Toyhouse and Pirateworld, although I could see Disney being nitpicky over the main design that gets promoted compared to niche worlds because of merchan.
But we get merchan of specific world forms, so really, what's the point there?
I feel like merchandise would actually be a reason for Disney to encourage it. Like sure you have KH1 Donald but don't you want Donald in his KH4 outfit?

Eonstar890

Awards
A change in their haircuts would be cool too; I love the artwork used for the announcement of the spin off trilogy (the pannel with Coded, BBS and Days) where they have slightly different haircuts (Roxas having slightly longer, unruly hair).

I’m curious, where is this artwork from? I don’t ever remember seeing such a panel, is it an older piece?

On the topic of outfits I was hoping the Destiny trio would at some point get Keyblade armor outfits but that’s most likely not happening now with KH3 outfit decisions.

Roxas could definitely use an update to match all his companions more darker aesthetics. And does anyone remember how Ven had a minor outfit change in 0.2? Did we ever get an explanation for that one??

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I’m curious, where is this artwork from? I don’t ever remember seeing such a panel, is it an older piece?

It was used a lot when promoting KH BCD, but has since fallen off the face of the earth, as if it never existed. Wasn't even included in the anniversary Ultimania. I dunno if Nomura like, forgot about it or if he didn't like the artwork, but it's a shame this piece doesn't get shown off much these days.

KHBCD.png

Eonstar890

Awards
Ohhhh I do remember seeing this piece before. It definitely has some different approaches to certain character looks. Most notably Aqua’s hair and Roxas’s ... well everything lol

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
I know right? I saw the look they have in Toy Box and thought maybe that was going to be a new design for them, then I thought I saw the same hats from the Toy Box design on the Monster forms and I thought maybe that's why they only showed scenes from those so heavily was as a way to keep their new outfits a secret but then it turned out they weren't. I think someone could make a good concept for new outfits (including the plaid) based on those Toy Box outfits and Donald and Goofy could have a new cool look.

Back