• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is a Furry?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
Now some or most of you might have heard this term flying around the interwaves over the past few years. It is something that has been slowly surfacing into the light. Some people hear furry and think of someone who is very hairy. Some people even think furry means someone who likes animals. But the term is much more broad than that. In fact the term furry is a simple sentence of understanding, someone who shows an interest and personifies themselves as an anthropomorphic animal with human personalities and characteristics. Anthropomorphic or Anthropomorphism centers around giving a non human object or being and giving them more human like characteristics. Take for instance Bugs Bunny or any of the Looney Toons, Micky Mouse, Tony the Tiger. All of these are examples of Anthropomorphism in society.

Well in the case of a furry, a person has taken it a step further and has created for themselves an image of an idea of what they may look like as a certain animal. In most often, these cases represent something in the people who see themselves as these characters. The character may have a different attitude, a different shape to their body, personalities may seem different. And in most cases these changes are characteristics that the users of these forms would like to see in themselves.

As a matter of fact there is an entire fandom centered around the furry population. Just like there is a fandom for Star Trek, Doctor Who and comics of all sorts. There are people who get together and holds get togethers, conventions solely around meeting with others that share their enthusiasm in personifying themselves as these furry characters. Now furries have actually gotten a bad rap from the news media since they started surfacing. Of course the media wants all the details about this specific group and of course they want to be left alone like any other group. this has given the media a field day. Now furries are often associated with sexual mediums, some even more outlandish thoughts of beastiality. This is not the case. Most furry fans are regular everyday people who like to see themselves as another form and even will go to the extent of dressing up as these forms. The furry fandom is a very creative and artistic group. If I have enlightened you into curiosity, I would recommend looking around for more info. Maybe even taking a look at some art or taking a glance at what sort of people are included in the fandom. I will admit that like with any fandom there is going to be sexual themes. but we have to remember that sex is a natural part of the human psyche.

I myself am one of these furries and I wouldn't doubt there are some on this forum. I would like to know how many there are. How many are hiding amongst the Kingdom Hearts fans. I would be astounded if I was truly the only furry in this large group of fans.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
MGS3-Fury-Face.jpg

FURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I don't know. The term doesn't really sit well with me, because, and to be frank, I would never use it in a casual nor professional discussion. I mean, honestly, how often would you use the word? How many people would understand the word's context??

Why redefine a word to create a depiction of an event that seems to have no real definition according to people's perspective?

The definitions on Urban Dictionary seem to use more delicate and intricate writing to give the word "furry" value. Isn't that something worth noting?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
The term has a lot of connotations (mostly negative); but in its broadest sense, it's pretty innocuous. Just another among an ever-expanding list of things that people can be into.

While I enjoy media that contains anthropomorphism to one degree or another (and I think most who grew up with Disney and Don Bluth films is the same way); I separate myself from it as I do with everything else, enjoying the enclosed events merely by virtue of what they offer me in and of themselves. So I wouldn't really call myself part of the fandom, as it were (unless, again, the mere enjoyment of things anthropomorphic qualifies me as such).

I'd think that the reasons for the attraction to anthropomorphism could include growing up with it, an extension of liking animals (in a non-romantic sense, of course), an attraction to the exotic, its inherent escapist qualities, etc.

Not to say that romantic interest in animals can't also be a reason, of course :p

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
You don't have to personify yourself as an animal or partake in the events that proceed the fandom. Just simply enjoying what comes of it can technically classify anyone as a fan. I brought this topic up on a fan based forum because I figured that fans of one fandom could understand a bit better the ideas and nature of another, even if they don't understand it in it's entirety.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
[video=youtube;y_TKgWDZiv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y_TKgWDZiv4[/video]

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
I have to tell you I hadn't seen that video. Though I will say I personally don't like Steve Brule.

blksabbath74

I knew a guy who tried to sell some plushies on Craigslist and inadvetantly sent out a party invitation in 'Furry Code.' He thought people were coming to look at the plushies and ended up with an apartment full of cosplayers sniffing each other's crotches...

He was scarred...

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
Now the fact that they were sniffing each others crotches would probably be dramatized a bit. But I can't honestly vouch for every person out there that cosplays as their fursona. I do know there are those out there that take the whole thing a step beyond what most would consider reasonable activities and such. so I will have to say sorry your friend had a bad experience.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I've never really considered myself to be part of the fanbase, but I'd be lying if I said that wanted the chance to turn into a wolf at will as a kid. I can definitely see how it permeated into society from things like "Sonic the Hedgehog" and such.

The only place I have ever seen the term "furry" is Encyclopedia Dramatica. It was an amusing read.

Lol, I haven't been there in years.

blksabbath74

Now the fact that they were sniffing each others crotches would probably be dramatized a bit. But I can't honestly vouch for every person out there that cosplays as their fursona. I do know there are those out there that take the whole thing a step beyond what most would consider reasonable activities and such. so I will have to say sorry your friend had a bad experience.

That was a little poetic licesnse on my part.

No, IIRC, he said a guy came first, and he showed him the plushies, then the guy asked to use his bathroom (and was carrying a duffel bag. Then his doorbell rang and a couple of catgirls came in. Then the dude comes out of the bathroom dressed as a dog and they start 'interacting, eventually the dogboy chasing the catgirls around the living room, and it just continued to devolve from there. More people showed up in furry costumes and it continued to get out of hand.

Now, he was a con guy who sells plushies, so it wasn't entirely an alien concept for him, but just the fact that it happened in his home and he had no idea...

Really, funny though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back