• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► What if Kingdom Hearts Remake was a thing?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
When I say Kingdom Hearts Remake, I mean a game setup similarly to Final Fantasy 7 Remake but with Kingdom Hearts 1. Basically, it would be the story of Kingdom Hearts 1 but with several changes to the plot and a narrative device involving these changes being noticed by the cast. Feel free to comment on this idea but I thought it’s get it out there

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I personally think it's likely... Especially since I started to think Yozora could be an AU Riku, I almost think this whole Yozora and worldlines stuff was introduced so that Nomura could make a remake of KH1 and still have it be somewhat relevant to the current plot. I'd so be here for it, tbh. A KH1 remake could be GLORIOUS with current technology. So many of the best Disney properties were in that game, and all at once. I think it had something to do with them not knowing if KH1 would even have a sequel or simply remain a one-off, they really put everything in that one.

Plus, it would scratch the itch of seeing those old worlds in the same graphic style and unlimited world scope as 3. I want that for Atlantica so bad (especially now they have swimming controls the fanbase won't whine about). Halloween Town, Agrabah, and Wonderland would be so interesting in that style, too. Neverland and Monstro wouldn't be bad. You would think they could make more 100-round tournaments with the technology they have, too, which would be a bonus to KH's Coliseum. And think of the original worlds for that matter... I mean, 3D made Traverse Town massive, imagine what they could do with Hollow Bastion and End of the World. Imagine being able to go from the falls to the peak of the castle in Hollow Bastion all without fades in and out...!

The downside would be no Tarzan unless Disney buys the rights again in the next few years for a live-action remake. And part of me would worry they'd use a remake to "re-cast" Riku and Sora with new voices, and I don't want that....

Chie

Awards
What this actually comes down to is "the next KH game would be marketed as a replacement for the original even though it's a completely new game". And given how people reacted to Rebuild of Eva, FF7R, etc. and how people are already constantly mad at Kingdom Hearts for being "too confusingly named to follow", this seems like a great way to piss people off.

So it seems extremely ill-advised to actually do this. Maybe a fanfic though.

Also it would still cost like triple KH3's budget to make if you included the same disney worlds. Even beyond KH-specific comparisons, I've seen a lot of people talking about other games (Xenogears for example) getting the "FF7R treatment" which is bizarre since FF7R is taking a very long time to make, being three full games + at least one side game dlc (yuffie's).

Sonofjafar

Awards
Fair points on both ends. I did concoct something similar to a KHR in the form of an au where all the main cast (both Square and Disney) either have their roles switched around or are switched with different characters. One example being that each trio has one character from each swapping with each other.
List of trio swaps:

Xion with Sora

Sora with Aqua

Aqua with Vanitas

And Vanitas with Xion

Also Jafar would replace Maleficent as the leader of the Villain Council and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Darkwing Duck, and Bonkers D Bobcat would be the new Mickey Donald and Goofy

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Maybe if they did it as a what if scenario with the unused earlier ideas IE Mickey as protagonist, the other princes coming to help, Chernabog as final boss.

Elysium

Awards
Also it would still cost like triple KH3's budget to make if you included the same disney worlds. Even beyond KH-specific comparisons, I've seen a lot of people talking about other games (Xenogears for example) getting the "FF7R treatment" which is bizarre since FF7R is taking a very long time to make, being three full games + at least one side game dlc (yuffie's).
Well, let's see, KH3 had around 7 huge worlds and three tiny ones (100 Acre Wood, Twilight Town, and Keyblade Graveyard).

With KH1, there would be 9 huge worlds since Tarzan would be out (Traverse Town, Wonderland, Agrabah, Monstro, Halloween Town, Atlantica, Neverland, Hollow Bastion, End of the World) and three tiny ones (100 Acre Wood, Coliseum, Destiny Islands).

Idk, I think two more big worlds than 3 would be do-able considering 3 did lose a year of development. *shrug* Plus, they should have some building blocks to start with for most of the worlds already because of 3 (Destiny Islands appears in cutscenes and Olympus has so much made including the character models) and MoM (the world maps that are shown as you go through a song). They wouldn't have to split a re-make into parts like VII; those older Final Fantasy games were really long in comparison to KH. You're right about remakes being all the rage right now. I'd love one for both KH1 and Final Fantasy IX.

Awards
As I've said before, I really hope the remake craze ends before this can happen. In my opinion they're getting out of hand. Remaking FFVII and the PS1 Resident Evil games is fine, but RE4 remake? Dead Space? The Last of Us? Demon's Souls? Destroy All Humans? Lollipop Chainsaw?!?!? (Seriously WTF). The Video Game industry is getting just as bad as Hollywood and I think they need to be stopped.

Chie

Awards
As I've said before, I really hope the remake craze ends before this can happen. In my opinion they're getting out of hand. Remaking FFVII and the PS1 Resident Evil games is fine, but RE4 remake? Dead Space? The Last of Us? Demon's Souls? Destroy All Humans? Lollipop Chainsaw?!?!? (Seriously WTF). The Video Game industry is getting just as bad as Hollywood and I think they need to be stopped.
FF7, RE1-4 remakes are all completely new games playing on your expectations of the original.

A lot of the others (esp. Demon's Souls) are just super HD texture packs made by randos on top of existing games and are essentially valueless.

These are not comparable, but the entire industry talks about 'remakes' when they mean like ten different things.

AR829038

Awards
The original Kingdom Hearts is not the kind of game that's really fit for a remake. The old PS2 era gameplay and level design are incredibly fitting for the story and atmosphere that the original game was going for. If they remade KH1, they would have to completely and utterly revamp it, i.e. make it a lot bigger and more flashy. And that's not what KH1 is supposed to feel like. With FF7, a remake was considered a good idea because FF7 was always supposed to be this big, sprawling, epic story that just barely managed to relay its narrative through the limited technology of the late 90's. The FF7 Remake fully realized the original vision behind the PS1 game, because it was a PS4 story constrained within the body of a PS1 disc.
KH1 is a PS2 game in a PS2 disc. So it fits perfectly.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
Nomura can make weird decisions sometimes, if KH1 were to be remade - he'd do major changes and have it be part of Phase 2 or if this happens during Phase 3 - Phase 3 then.

Story changes I could see:

• Master of Masters confronts Sora instead of Ansem in the cave
  • Deep Jungle being replaced with a different world
  • BBS references
  • A different endgame boss - maybe Ansem doesn't exist in this worldline? Maleficent is the final boss? Or...the Darkness?
  • Master of Masters secret boss instead of Xemnas

Sonofjafar

Awards
As I've said many a time, Kingdom Heart in particular seems to be going down the Foruth Wall Breaking rabbit hole and a FF7R style retelling of the first gajme would be an interesting way to experiment with that. Perhaps Sora and Co begin to see flashes of the original game's plot every time they deviate from deviate it

Elysium

Awards
To the Deep Jungle stuff. There are several ways to deal with that if Disney never gets the rights for Tarzan again.

1. You could move one of the other worlds there to replace its function. Halloween Town seems like the easiest one to do that with since Halloween Town was always the most superfluous of KH1's worlds and could easily be given a plot that supports Donald and Sora arguing with one another. It would make sense with what sparce plot it had in KH1, too, since Donald didn't like Jack using the Heartless and wasn't sure if he was trustworthy even though Sora did/was. Plus, Oogie never really fit in as a heavy hitter type boss for the second stage of worlds the way Jafar, Ursula, and even Hook do.
2. Put another film there to replace its function. I think that's less likely because it sort of ruins the idea of it being a remake, plus that would mean one more world they'll have to build. That said, it would be a way to include something popular that came in the years after KH1 was released. I did always think it was a shame Moana (or Raya even) didn't exist then, because its plot suits KH1's story of encroaching darkness coming to destroy the world to a T.
3. Simply have Donald and Sora's conflict take place during the Traverse Town re-visit instead.

I just hope they wouldn't retroactively shove Pete into a remake. He's so awful.

Last edited:

Daisuki

Awards
I think you could potentially replace Deep Jungle with something from Jungle Book. Finally a way to get that film into the series

Granted it's a vastly different jungle set in India rather than an African one, but I I'd assume this remake wouldn't already be 1:1 with the original game so I don't think it matters too much.

Awards
I think you could potentially replace Deep Jungle with something from Jungle Book. Finally a way to get that film into the series

Granted it's a vastly different jungle set in India rather than an African one, but I I'd assume this remake wouldn't already be 1:1 with the original game so I don't think it matters too much.
Ok I'm gonna stop being negative for once and I'm going to borrow your idea and go all out with it. What if, instead of just replacing Deep Jungle, all Disney worlds get replaced? Atlantica gets swapped for Atlantis, a Coco world in place of Halloweentown, Agrabah becomes Kumandra etc. If Nomura decides to go in the FFVIIR direction and does an alternate timeline/timeline altering remake then I say go for it. You can still have the same basic story of Sora looking for his friends, Donald and Goofy looking for the King and so on, but with all new Disney worlds and characters to explore/interact with. It would also give Nomura an excuse to introduce another set of Princesses of Heart, an opportunity I think he'd probably leap at without hesitation.

Back