• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What happened to the multiplayer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NeoMasterZX

At some point multiplayer for 3 was mentioned in an interview, what happened to this? It just kinda vanished. Do you think they might be saving it for a DLC or something? It feels like a kinda big thing to just, drop without a word.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
It's honestly probably something that was sacrificed when they lost the year of development because it's never talked about again post-2014

NeoMasterZX

That's a bit of a shame. I would have enjoyed a bit of multiplayer in some form or another. That is, if the idea was axed altogether.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

SerDuncan

It really does seem like this game's development ended up rushed. I know people like to joke about "har de har, how can it be rushed we've been waiting 13 years!" But when you compare old interviews to new interviews to the finished game, it's clear that large portions of the game were cut or had to be completed quickly. Especially considering the engine jump, that probably added to the development time.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It really does seem like this game's development ended up rushed. I know people like to joke about "har de har, how can it be rushed we've been waiting 13 years!" But when you compare old interviews to new interviews to the finished game, it's clear that large portions of the game were cut or had to be completed quickly. Especially considering the engine jump, that probably added to the development time.

There wasn't an engine jump. To my understanding, they went into some troubles as they furthered development under Square's in-house engine, and had to change into Unreal Engine 4, and they couldn't transfer the work. And I don't think an engine change would warrant any rushing, seeing as how they can just change the deadline. It's all about planification. I think the consensus is that they focused too much on non KH properties.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What happened was that Osaka was working under the belief that they would be using Luminous as their engine, so they made a ton of assets and systems in an API which is not a game engine by any means of the word. They expected this work to carry over, and I think they might have gotten their hands on a build of Luminous for a brief period of time although no interviews from that year of development seem to say as much.

When it was clear Luminous was not going to be ready to use as an engine, the decision was made that the FFXV team would get the engine and its engineers to work on both the development of the game and the engine at the same time. This meant Osaka had to find a new engine, learn how to use it, and find a way to get that work that they did to transfer over into that new engine. Safe to say that much of that work was probably rebuilt from the ground up...

It is pretty clear that in 2014 after the switch to Unreal Engine 4, they spent that time outsourcing models and assets to try and speed up development while the development team got a crash course on UE4. The work they got back from those companies was absolute trash, so that meant that not only did they have to rebuild their gameplay systems, they also had to do all of that outsourced work over themselves.

2015 is probably when they went through a huge period of restructuring and refocusing on what KH3 should have and what it needed to be in order for it to make its deadline of 2018. Multiplayer was likely a sacrifice in that plan.

With the game being out, though, I’m sure they still intend to revisit the idea later on or just intend to implement it in a future project. Verum Rex seems like it was especially built for online play, and I can’t help but see the Gummi maps and think that they are so massive because the plan was to have more ships flying around. If nothing else, KH3 would benefit from having Gummi Ship Blueprints be shareable online.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Hmm... online Gummi Ship really sounds like something they had in mind, seeing as how there is little incentive into utilizing the Gummi Ship beyond going to a world directly, and getting an Orachiculm+.

NeoMasterZX

I hadn't considered online Gummis. It'd be a nice way to have a proper dogfight. The obvious mode would be arena type thing. Given there isn't one in 3.
Thinking about it though, the customization feature in .2 may have been meant as a test for 3's multiplayer, since you can't just hide people behind armor like BBS.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Oh, yeah! I had forgotten about 0.2's customization aspect! :( Maybe it was part of the ideas that had to be scrapped.

I sure hope Nomura and the dev team can have the opportunity via DLC to implement all of the ideas they wanted. Well, the ones they can, haha.

NeoMasterZX

Yeah, it seems a lot got canned. I look at a lot of the formchange designs, and I can only assume that some of the little differences were meant to be selectable patterns and stuff.

NeoMasterZX

I mean, to be fair, I think the outfit changes are meant to more reflect the properties of the form, Yellow is the defense, Blue is the magic, and Red is strength. Akin to 2's drive forms. But I do agree, they could have used more variety.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I mean, to be fair, I think the outfit changes are meant to more reflect the properties of the form, Yellow is the defense, Blue is the magic, and Red is strength. Akin to 2's drive forms. But I do agree, they could have used more variety.

In a hypothetical Final Mix update, do you think they would add in yet another form?

NeoMasterZX

It would be interesting to see, but it would depend mostly on any new Keyblades that are added. And given the pervious Final Mixes in the series, it's pretty likely.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It would be interesting to see, but it would depend mostly on any new Keyblades that are added. And given the pervious Final Mixes in the series, it's pretty likely.

Yeah, but remember that Keyblades this time around have a deeper gameplay mechanic with the transformations. Maaaybe we might get one to three more Keyblades.

NeoMasterZX

One or two would be fine. That tends to be the average Final Mix addition anyway. KH1 had Diamond Dust and One Winged Angel. As far as I remember, 2 only had Winner's proof.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
0.2’s Wardrobe system was not intended for KH3. Nomura did say they’d look into implementing it after KH3’s development.

Back