• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Happened to the Horses???

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

WILDMUSTANGX

This is a rather minor Kingdom Hearts thing that most people probably haven't even thought about, but that I, as an avid horse lover, can't help but feel troubled by.

Anyone who grew up watching Disney movies knows that, in a lot of the classics, the hero has a trusty steed, who they ride into battle, or use as a getaway vehicle. But I've noticed that quite often, in Kingdom Hearts, these beloved equine sidekicks are cut from the story. The only real exception being Pegasus's appearance at the Olympus Coliseum and the Underworld in Kingdom Hearts 2.

But where was Mulan's horse Kahn in the Land of Dragons? Why was Prince Philip seen charging in to battle Maleficent on foot, instead of on his noble steed Hans in the Enchanted Dominion, in Birth By Sleep? Where was Prince Charming's horse, when he came for Snow White in the Dwarf Woodlands? Why weren't Judge Frollo and Captain Phoebus ever seen riding their horses in La Cit'e Des Cloches, in Dream Drop Distance?

We know full well that the Kingdom Shader engine was more than capable of rendering and animating equine character models (i.e. Pegasus in KH2, the pegaslick and electricorn dream eaters in DDD and the horse-drawn carriage seen in the Country of the Musketeers), So what's the real reason for this nonsense? Personally, I don't think time constraints are enough to justify these tragic coincidences of absence. So then what? Pure laziness?

If you've been keeping up with recent Kingdom Hearts news, than you know that the Kingdom of Corona (the setting for Disney's movie Tangled) has been anounced as one of the worlds to be featured in Kingdom Hearts 3. What if, for some reason, they decide to leave out Maximus? To me, this would be a grave travesty.

I can neither understand, nor accept this appalling trend and I can only hope that it will end with DDD and that Square Enix will find ways to make up for this repeated mistake in the future of the franchise.

I know it may seem to some like I'm overreacting to something minor, but I think I've made it pretty clear why I feel this way. I really love horses and this is just a really strange and unfair coincidence and I want it to stop. Does anyone else out there share my frustration?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well first off, Kingdom Shader is only a thing for KH3 and it's not an engine, it's a... well... shader.

Secondly, this belongs in the KH sections.

Honestly, they probably just cut them out of desire to limit the amount of things they have to develop, especially for the handheld titles. If something can be cut without dramatically affecting the story they want to tell, they're going to do it.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
mlp_fim__kingdom_hearts_3d_sora_and_riku_by_wolfninja202-d5qck6o.png

I don't know, it might be tough to defeat Xehanort with 4 legs........Oh that's not what this thread is about

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
=
I don't know, it might be tough to defeat Xehanort with 4 legs...
I dunno, remember that one time when Sora was able to take down that massive Torterra-Heartless-thing in the form of a lion cub? I think anything is possible now.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
honestly the horses weren't story relevant like pegasus or maximus, so i'm sure they'll both be in III. i also didn't think anyone cared that much about horses and kingdom hearts?

WILDMUSTANGX

Well first off, Kingdom Shader is only a thing for KH3 and it's not an engine, it's a... well... shader.

Secondly, this belongs in the KH sections.

Honestly, they probably just cut them out of desire to limit the amount of things they have to develop, especially for the handheld titles. If something can be cut without dramatically affecting the story they want to tell, they're going to do it.

The Kingdom Shader is the name of the gaming engine Square Enix developed exclusively for Kingdom Hearts titles. They stopped using it and switched to the Unreal Engine 4 during Kingdom Hearts 3's early development, deciding that it didn't suit their needs anymore.

I thought that the foyer could be used for general discussions on all things Kingdom Hearts. There was nothing that said otherwise, but I'm sorry if this caused an issue.

Yes it's true that often, various minor story elements and characters are cut from the games, but it's just to strange and convenient a coincidence for all the horses in each story to disappear like that.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
The Kingdom Shader is the name of the gaming engine Square Enix developed exclusively for Kingdom Hearts titles. They stopped using it and switched to the Unreal Engine 4 during Kingdom Hearts 3's early development, deciding that it didn't suit their needs anymore.

No no, Luminous is the name of the in-studio engine Square was using to develop KH3. Kingdom Shader is a shader that's still being used.

Samson is the name of Phillip's horse, btw.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
not at all. the luminous engine was developed by square for next-gen, but was absorbed by the team working on FF XV. KH3 was moved to unreal 4, which then had the graphic augmentation tool called the Kingdom Shader created to give a paintbrush stroke visual effect to the game, i believe disney worlds in particular. it may be used for bbs v2 and Back Story, as they are in the next-gen graphics, but they might not.

WILDMUSTANGX

honestly the horses weren't story relevant like pegasus or maximus, so i'm sure they'll both be in III. i also didn't think anyone cared that much about horses and kingdom hearts?

It's kind of insensitive of you to dismiss them like that and say that no one cares. Not cool, man. You can't tell me that Mulan's horse Khan and Prince Philip's horse Hans aren't just as significant and story relevant as Pegasus and Maximus. If you watch the movies, you'd see that they are.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
^ Well, the Kingdom Shader (which everyone needs to just forget about, because it's been more trouble than it's worth) is the shading tool Square's using to made the models and environment look like a hand-painted movie, it's supposed to adjust depending on the art style of the worlds.

Nomura's saying for worlds that don't need it, they'll use a more realistic shader. So the chances of it being in 2.8 are a little lower.

It's kind of insensitive of you to dismiss them like that and say that no one cares. Not cool, man. You can't tell me that Mulan's horse Khan and Prince Philip's horse Hans

s a m p s o n

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Nomura's saying for worlds that don't need it, they'll use a more realistic shader. So the chances of it being in 2.8 are a little lower.
Except from the beginning he has associated the Shader with the KH original graphics, too. And I don't think he said there are "worlds that don't need it" but that the Shader can't be used for worlds that need a more realistic shader (as in worlds based on live-action films).

Not that any of this really matters on a player-level, lol. It's not like the game is going to flash text saying "THIS IS KINGDOM SHADER" when you enter certain worlds, lol. Ideally it will more or less be seamless and not be super noticeable, just like how the art style so far blends well together with the exception of some worlds.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It's kind of insensitive of you to dismiss them like that and say that no one cares. Not cool, man. You can't tell me that Mulan's horse Khan and Prince Philip's horse Hans aren't just as significant and story relevant as Pegasus and Maximus. If you watch the movies, you'd see that they are.

[NEIGHS INTENSELY INSENSITIVE]

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Now that I'm thinking about it he said there were worlds that wouldn't allow it. I had thought that was in reference to Twilight Town, but now that I'm thinking about it that doesn't make sense.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Pegasus got included because he's a winged horse, which makes him a much more unique mount than all those other horses (as well as some opportunity to be used in an aerial battle sequence). Maximus will probably be included because he was much more than just a mount, since he chased down Flynn on his own. Most horses in Disney movies... honestly, they weren't that memorable outside of being the typical "hero's brave horse." It's just not that necessary.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Just laziness really. Honestly, I was surprised they didn't cut Pegasus (but glad). Khan was hilarious in Mulan, but they'd probably just have stand there and not do anything even if they bothered to create a model for him. Zzzzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back