• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What happened this year that made you feel old as heck?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Meilin

Legendary Role Player of Water
Awards
Website
mayrlynray.tumblr.com
So much for me. Logging in and realizing I've been a part of this site off and on for 15 years did it, and before that it was the remake of Shaman King comign to netflix.

What is making y'all feel like ancient history, fellow olds?

giphy.gif

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Congrats on joining the 4th decade with me, fellow old. How's your back?
Not aching... yet.

And thanks. It still kind of feels like just yesterday we were teens sharing crazy ideas about Days and BBS on this forum.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
For me was getting into Tik Tok and seeing Zoomers being nostalgic about Disney/Nickelodeon shows that came out in the last decade.

Also my younger coworkers don’t get my movie/show references.

Meilin

Awards
Website
mayrlynray.tumblr.com
For me was getting into Tik Tok and seeing Zoomers being nostalgic about Disney/Nickelodeon shows that came out in the last decade.

Also my younger coworkers don’t get my movie/show references.
I am scared to join TikTok but I legit might have to now.

realizing today that the YuGiOh dub debuted 20 years ago hit me in the guts

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When I realized Channel Orange will be 10 next year...Like wtf I was listening to the album in college and that wasn't THAT long ago...except it WAS apparently.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
When I realized Channel Orange will be 10 next year...Like wtf I was listening to the album in college and that wasn't THAT long ago...except it WAS apparently.
Music is the real killer for me too, esp. with a certain electronic vibe that apparently had its heyday a decade ago now i.e. James Blake, Four Tet, Washed Out, Toro y Moi

Also been getting back into Yugioh lately—they released a "Ghosts from the Past" set this year with gorgeous re-prints of Dark Magician etc, but trying to catch up on 16 years' worth of meta-game development since I properly played is like poring through the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Sticking with my 2005 Goat format, thank you very much 😅

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
James Blake, Four Tet, Washed Out, Toro y Moi
Woah.. way to name drop and send me into an existential meltdown. 😂

Didn't even occur to me that I started listening to *all* of those musicians around 10 years ago. I even took a trip in 2011 to Athens, GA (relatively near some family), where WO and some other favorites got their recognition.

This year was the anniversary to some personal, decade old mile markers.

An impersonal, broad one I'm sure nobody has missed is the 20th anniversary of 9/11. It's hard not to look time in the face when that number glares at you. I'll be feeling the same "old feelings" next year for KH's 20th.

Meilin

Awards
Website
mayrlynray.tumblr.com
Music is the real killer for me too, esp. with a certain electronic vibe that apparently had its heyday a decade ago now i.e. James Blake, Four Tet, Washed Out, Toro y Moi

Also been getting back into Yugioh lately—they released a "Ghosts from the Past" set this year with gorgeous re-prints of Dark Magician etc, but trying to catch up on 16 years' worth of meta-game development since I properly played is like poring through the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Sticking with my 2005 Goat format, thank you very much 😅
I gave up after there were 15 card types in my extra deck. And your post reminded me that American Idiot is over 15 years old and it is more accurate the last 5 years than the 5 years after it was written.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Learning it‘s Pokémon 25th Anniversary and then remembering the fact that I’ve been playing every new generation of Pokémon game since Pokémon Red/Blue on the Gameboy Colour

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Learning it‘s Pokémon 25th Anniversary and then remembering the fact that I’ve been playing every new generation of Pokémon game since Pokémon Red/Blue on the Gameboy Colour
I just made the same realization yesterday. I always thought there was more time between my Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts obsessions, but nope seems it was just 5 years and that was 20 years ago.

AegisXIII

Awards
The craziest thing to me is how the time seems to accelerate the older you get.
The wait between KH1 and KH2 was 4 years and yet, it feels as long as the time between 3D and 3 (which is 7 years).

2 quid is good

Awards
I'm not that old, at least I'd like to think, but ironically, it was reminiscing with some friends about the time 4 wings and chips were £1.50, and then all of us realising we hadn't been in school for 8-10 years T.T

Another smaller moment was when I was talking with a teen who only got into the KH franchise this year about the chamber of repose/Xemnas stair ASMR cutscene, and he immediately dismissed it as not being important and internally I was thinking about how many hours were wasted theory crafting over these cutscenes for it all to be dismissed like that 😭

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Next year, 2022, will be the 25th anniversary of such games as:

- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Yoshi's Story
- Fallout
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Star Fox 64
- Goldeneye 007
- Grand Theft Auto
- Megaman Legends
- Harvest Moon
- Diablo
- Gran Turismo

Among others. I was 4 years old for most of 1997. Didn't know that it was such a big year for video games, a lot of which became huge franchises.

Meilin

Awards
Website
mayrlynray.tumblr.com
The craziest thing to me is how the time seems to accelerate the older you get.
The wait between KH1 and KH2 was 4 years and yet, it feels as long as the time between 3D and 3 (which is 7 years).
Looking back, that wait from 1-2, with only COM to fill the gap, felt much longer. I didn't feel as deprived from 3D to 3, what with the re-releases/remakes that included final mixes new to the USA, plus the mobile game, plus 2.8.

Back