• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Grinds Your Gears?(a pet peeves thread)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
We all have them. Minor, sometimes illogical things that just rub us the wrong way. Could be a look somebody gives you, or your blu-ray player not cooperating, or something your cat does. We may not always know why, but it doesn't make them less annoying.

This thread is not for long intellectual discussions about these things. It's simply an outlet for civil rants or mini-rants.

One for me is Character vs. Battles. The type that takes two characters from different unrelated franchises, and pits them against each other, ala Sora vs. Superman or Gandalf vs. Iron Man. They start off ok, albeit completely without context, but soon suddenly Sora uses Genie and suddenly he's more powerful than god, or Supes is swapped out for an AU version who once moved planets. Then the rules are debated and ignored and it becomes so senseless and OOC for both parties that by that logic, Harry Potter could kill both of them, and somehow would.

The worst part is how everyone participating is too stubborn to just move on when it's clear, especially by this no rules type of fighting, there's a stalemate.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Hypocrisy is probably the thing that bothers me more than anything. Probably because I've been surrounded by a lot in my life, and thus I always try to think about what I'm saying/doing, so that I'm not a hypocrite. LOL.

For instance, recently, some of my friends and I have been complaining about Mockingjay in front of our one friend who likes it. And we're not being hateful about it or to her or anything. I'll just be like, "I don't like how Collins had Katniss pass out a lot for the transition scenes."

But upon realizing I've had my feelings hurt when she says things about one of my fandoms (and she legitimately pokes fun at it, though I don't mind it that much), I've decided to stop talking about Mockingjay in front of her. Just because I felt bad, you know?

And actually, I'm probably overreacting--and it really didn't even bother her--but better safe and sorry, and to take the high road, right?:)

Noel

Awards
People who always like to be right and are generally think they are better then anyone. Also anyone who cusses consistently for no reason. Aka. My dad. Also some other people.

Not much to say about it but, he always considers himself to be right and never acknowledges anyone's opinions. If for once he actually is proved wrong he goes on a rant for the rest of the day and it aggravates me. He's old fashioned and doesn't take kind to new, cultural things. I know he's my dad and all but, I honestly wouldn't want to grow up to be him.

A

I shoot first there is no shooting back
Awards
Hypocrisy and Self-Righteousness

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
waking up at 7-8 in the morning on a day off or a weekend to some guys mowing the grass outside

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
One of my pet peeves is inconsideration.

I just really don't get able-bodied people who refuse to give up their seats for those who need it more on board the public transport, those who cut the queue, and those who litter, among others. How difficult could it be to hold onto your used tissue paper for a while before coming across a trash can? Or does it really take too much of your energy to sit up and offer an elderly person your seat on the train?

moonstar_xo

I can't stand people who are pretentious. I have a friend who is an English/Film major and you can tell that he thinks he can tell others that certain books and films they may like are stupid because he's "educated" on that kind of stuff. Ugh.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
People that speak very low in presentations, but are loudmouths outside the class. Also when people don't look at you when you're speaking to them.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
Teachers who only follow rigid text-based teaching methods without considering the sort of flexibility a varied class may need [for example my history teacher taught mainly thru assigned chapters and the occasional powerpoint with very little classroom discussion until students vocally requested it towards the end of the year which, unsurprisingly, showed an increase in grades after we were able to start having those discussions].

In the same vein, people who don't bother actually clarifying stuff they've said when asked, instead repeating the same thing with only a word or two changed as tho it'll make everything crystal clear.

I also have begun to get really irked when people brush aside a person's gender or sexuality, like trying to figure out if a person is a boy or girl by stalking them around and trying to guess by very stereotypical "signs" instead of simply asking that person what their preferred pronouns are.

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
It peeves me when people expect you to be non-politely casual when your at their place/with them, but then do a 180 and be overly polite when your hosting them. It's as if they expect you to have everything planned out for their visit every time they come over. It's jarring and puts unnecessary pressure on the host. Practice what you preach, y'know?

Also, when some fool decides to register his/her CTA train card JUST AS SOMEBODY ELSE is using the train door, effectively un-doing their transaction....and they then get to go in.

And Tenyas, I feel ya. My Humanities 101 was essentially a busywork class under a false pretense of learning the material. The teacher knows the material, but expects us to do EVERYTHING ourselves. Most auto-pilot bullshit I've ever been a part of.

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
It peeves me when people expect you to be non-politely casual when your at their place/with them, but then do a 180 and be overly polite when your hosting them. It's as if they expect you to have everything planned out for their visit every time they come over. It's jarring and puts unnecessary pressure on the host. Practice what you preach, y'know?

Interesting. It's in contrast to how it is here where I live; when you're host, it's the norm that you make your guests really at home, but when you're guest, it's expected that you be as polite as comfortably possible especially when the host's family members are around.

I'm not attacking you or trying to change how you think about this, because things like these are personal and must be respected. I was just pointing out a cultural difference.

Anyway, another of my pet peeves are keyboard warriors. They will always criticise bad and good news alike. For example, there was this news of someone in distress and nobody helped him, and this person started ranting how it was selfish of those around the poor person to just ignore him. A few days later came news about a good Samaritan, a nurse, helping a person who had fallen down a flight of stairs, and this same person again spewed vitriol toward the nurse, saying that she might not know what she was doing and could just make the condition worse. What the hell, man?

But I guess as long as the Internet is still up and about, those people will still linger around.

Gram

Banned
Awards
In a nutshell: hypocrisy (which is very prominent in many of the "religious" people where I live), bitchiness, standardization (mostly in schools), arrogance, close mindedness, smugness, but what truly peeves me off more than anything else in this world is ignorance.

And I dont mean like lack of knowledge, as we're all smart and dumb in specific areas, but ignorance in way of how people act/state/think.

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
Interesting. It's in contrast to how it is here where I live; when you're host, it's the norm that you make your guests really at home, but when you're guest, it's expected that you be as polite as comfortably possible especially when the host's family members are around.

I'm not attacking you or trying to change how you think about this, because things like these are personal and must be respected. I was just pointing out a cultural difference.

I understand. I take no such offense, 'specially since we take a similar stance here in the States. :D

I meant it more as a peeve specifically to me. With new people, you have to do that to get a feel for them and their family. But on a purely preferential level, I like people at their most base and honest not bogged down by adherence to etiquette.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Yet another one of my pet peeves are people with authority who use it to flout the established rules, showing off that they are above the law since they hold power.

Based on my experience, those in this group tend to be conceited and abusive, finding faults where there aren't and speaking in such a holier-than-thou manner that would drive people away and won't even care to elaborate their point, which often comes off as really unfriendly. When a few of those people are around, they can actually gang up on a poor someone just because he or she says something they (or any of them) don't like, or just because they are "mightier" than him or her.

Wow, I think I've just described the general attitude of a number of traffic police officers in my hometown...

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ You've described nearly every cop, teacher and "religious" person where I live. lol

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Three things grind my gears and they have to do with people driving:

1. People that spontaneously push the break when they see a police car. Just yesterday my sister was taken by surprised because a lot of cards did this. *grunt*

2. Individuals that drive their new and luxurious brand car slowly because they want people to see it or do not want to ram it against another car, tree or something. *rolls eyes*

3. People that drive slowly because they are on the freaking phone. Our legislature passed a law prohibiting this. You want to talk while driving? Buy a handsfree.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
- Atm Fees: I try not to be cheap but charging $3.25 to withdraw my own money is robbery...
- Music channels: there really aren't music channels anymore
- people who use instagram only to post memes... (I'm gonna start unfollowing people who do this...)

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
- Atm Fees: I try not to be cheap but charging $3.25 to withdraw my own money is robbery...
Meh, at least when I utilize ATMs sponsored by my bank they do not charge me at all. But I feel for ya: one time I had to withdraw forty dollars and a Scotiabank ATM in a train station charged me $1.50. :/

- Music channels: there really aren't music channels anymore
This is understandable since many people just purchase songs through iTunes, download MP3s, watch videos on YouTube, download those videos or utilize the vast tools of the internet instead of watching television.

- people who use instagram only to post memes... (I'm gonna start unfollowing people who do this...)
I do not have a problem with that, but it kind of "irks" me of people that post half-naked pictures of themselves. "Oooh, look, I'm hot, horny and well endowed, admire me." Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back