• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What got you into the Kingdom Hearts series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
When I first saw the commercial as a little mega, I assumed it was some sort of Super Smash Bros for disney, and it confused me, so I wasn't interested.

Years later, after my sister kept showing me KH comics, I figured I should give them a try. All I had was a DS, and I wasn't aware that KH1 wasn't on any handhelds, so I just got the KH game I saw for DS and assumed that was the KH I was supposed to get.

I was really confused because I didn't see that Sora kid or Kairi, and the Org members acted way differently than the comics, but I loved Days, so I really got into the series after I finished it.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
When I first saw the commercial as a little mega, I assumed it was some sort of Super Smash Bros for disney, and it confused me, so I wasn't interested.

Years later, after my sister kept showing me KH comics, I figured I should give them a try. All I had was a DS, and I wasn't aware that KH1 wasn't on any handhelds, so I just got the KH game I saw for DS and assumed that was the KH I was supposed to get.

I was really confused because I didn't see that Sora kid or Kairi, and the Org members acted way differently than the comics, but I loved Days, so I really got into the series after I finished it.

I saw a commercial for Kingdom Hearts back when it first came out. It looked interesting, but my family never seemed to have the money for a PS2. So, I eventually lost interest.

This was the commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=7uMMKDd1Fr0). The commercial is about a young boy going into some top secret lab to find information out on a video game, in this case Kingdom Hearts. He is informed by the computer about the game and when he asks for cheat codes, the alarm starts going off. He heads out of the secret lab and before the camera cuts off, some people had spotted him. The computer mentioned 'The Lion King,' maybe at the time I thought it was a world, but now looking back I know that it was just a summon. Anyways, I was really hyped when this commercial appeared and I wondered if Disney would continue this type of commercial with another game.

I eventually came back to it when Days first came out.

Last edited:

TheOtherPromise

I saw a commercial on disney channel back in 2002 and I had to buy it because disney characters were in it. I actually remember going to the store to buy it. I got the last one :D

HK Motendra

Awards
None of you are going to believe this ( hell, I cant even believe my young, 7-8 yr old self for actually thinking it)

I saw the commercial and somehow mistook Sora for Roy from Smash Bros . Hahaha... Yeah.... :/

CasCrow

I'm not sure what it was. I wanted to play Kingdom Hearts 2. I didn't start with Kingdom Hearts because when i was in elementary school some kids i didn't like would walk around reading the strategy guide and i'd say so many bad things about it because of the disney characters.

I'm pretty sure it was seeing Mickey in the Org XIII cloak that made me want to play it.

chenoehii

Awards
I'd seen some commercials for KH1 and I thought "Hmmmm..." But it wasn't until the COM spots that it caught my eye enough to want to play it. "Simple and Clean" and Riku and Mickey wearing coats and walking in that crossroads area really caught my eye. I played around a bit on my Gameboy but it just wasn't my favorite. I would have stopped and played KH1 but I didn't have a PS2, so I just KHWikied it and got the story. I ended up buying and playing KH2 before I even finished the other two. So really, not counting COM, Roxas really started the series for me. Possibly one of the reasons I prefer him over Sora, and then when I got to the end of his prologue and realized that was it, I was like ".........ok, what did I spend so much time running around earning munny for?" And then when he went back to Sora my indifference turned to deep sadness... Also, I would take "Passion" and the entire KH2 intro over KH1's any day, but I still think that overall KH1 is better. Like, the story is great and all, but KH2 dropped the ball on the delivery I think. Awkward pauses, stilted voice acting, some weird storytelling, and...just some oddities.

Sorakh212

Awards
It's one of the few franchises I can say I've been a fan of since its inception actually. I remember seeing the commercial for it back in 2002 not too long after I turned 10 and managed to save up enough allowance money to go rent it at first from BlockBuster at the time. I remember seeing Sora point up in one of the shots and thought it was some kind of Buzz Lightyear weapon or something like that and was very excited to play seeing as how I was a huge Disney fan growing up. The other worlds in the trailer also did it for me at the time. However being the noob that I was back then I couldn't even beat or really figure out Traverse Town and sort of gave up at that point due to frustration and the menus were a bit confusing for me at the time as well. Luckily though a good friend of mine at the time who had beaten it not too long after it came out and while we were shooting the shit once he asked me if I had beaten Sephiroth and all these other questions about the game and I cold him I couldn't even beat Traverse Town. He laughed and then gave me a few tips about the game and also gave me a copy not too long after that as a sort of early X-Mas gift. The rest as they say is history. Still to this day I'm one of the biggest KH fans having played and now watched every installment as they came out and am eagerly awaiting KH3. It's a cool time to be alive and a KH fan as well especially since it's had such an impact on me for more than half my life now. It helped mold me not only as a gamer but to some extent as a person as well. Good times.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I don't remember much but I do know Chain of Memories(GBA) was my first KH game. I didn't beat it because I was young and still learning English so I couldn't understand a bunch of it. I was stuck in Monstro.

Then one summer I stayed over at my cousin's, who had the first game and the rest is history.

Precursor Mar

I can't really remember. I think it was the Disney characters, I watched a lot of Disney movies at that age. All I remember is that my dad's girlfriend at the time gave it to me for Christmas. I got stuck at one boss (I think it was Chernabog) and didn't return to it until years later when I finally beat it.

namine_ftw

I saw the commercials for the first game on TV when I was 11 or 12, and thought it looked awesome because of the Disney characters, but since I didn't have a PS2 (the only game systems I had were Gameboys) I couldn't buy it and forgot about it. The I saw a commercial for Chain of Memories a few years later and got excited since I actually had a GBA. So I bought it, but one of the boss fights was way too hard for me (I think it was one of the Repliku fights) so I ragequit and never went back to it. Then when KH2 came out I saw the commercials and thought "this looks amazing." There was some interview with the voice actors (I think I saw it on AOL or something) that I saw with my brother and I got interested in the series again. My brother and I came up with this plan to raise money for our "Kingdom Hearts Fund," where we basically did all these odd jobs (helping our grandpa with gardening, babysitting, etc. for cash). Then, when we were finally so freakin' close he decides to pull out at the last minute to buy something else (I wish I could remember what was so "important").

So now I was down half the money and it was about the middle of July. I didn't want my whole summer to go by with no Kingdom Hearts, and once school started I knew my mom wouldn't want me playing it every day. Then I remembered: I had a crapload of birthday money stashed away somewhere in my room. So I basically turned my room inside out looking for it and then I finally found it. It was enough for the system and the first game. I think my mom was impressed by my dedication, because she said she'd get me the second one as an early birthday present. So we drove the next day to Gamestop (I think?) and bought a used PS2 and the two Kingdom Hearts games. My brother wanted to play it but I told him he'd have to wait until I finished >:) I let him watch the cutscenes with me though.

I played and adored the first two games. The first one felt...magical, I guess. It was my first console RPG, as well as my introduction to Final Fantasy. I thought the FF characters were so cool and badass. After I beat the games I bought used copies of the Final Fantasy games, and loved them all (except VIII). Although I can easily see its flaws now, I thought KH2 was amazing when I first played it. The gameplay was fun, the camera wasn't crap, and I loved Org XIII and thought there was a lot of moral ambiguity (which of course is no longer an issue since DDD >_>)

This series will always have a special place in my heart. If you see me criticize the series, know that I do so out of love.

Last edited:

TheKeybasHGirl

Website
marielkeybash96.deviantart.com
My Brother had the first game i remember watching him play but i wasen't really interested in the series. My sister got into the series in 2009 but i finally got into the series arround 2013. So i'm two years into the KH Series.

Sgtsarge

Way back in the summer of 2002, I only had recently received my PS2. Having been brought up on Nintendo in my early childhood, playstation was entirely new to me. Only being ten years old, I'd never heard of Final Fantasy before and it was more through chance that I saw and rented Final Fantasy X. It had me absolutely hooked, so it was the first thing I requested for my birthday that year. FFX luckily came with a preview disk and there was a trailer for Kingdom Hearts. With Disney being such a big part of my childhood and how much I loved FFX at the time, kingdom Hearts instantly grabbed my attention. Then came the long wait until Christmas 2002. I had requested Kingdom hearts for Christmas that year for months on end and when I opened it with a strategy guide, I was overjoyed. I started my initial playthrough on Christmas Day and it took me just over a month to complete. There was something special about the first Kingdom Hearts that will always stay with me and it's the reason why it is my favourite game of all time.

All of that made me a fan of the series. I even went as far to import chain of memories and Kingdom hearts 2 from America, being based in the UK! I used to pour over the videos from KH2 Final Mix and it was fantastic to finally be able to play it with the release of 2.5 remix. it was the first time I got to play Birth by Sleep as well. You can imagine my joy at the Kingom Hearts 3 announcement at E3 2013. The announcement of versus XIII reamerging as FFXV also made me just as happy, with versus XIII being something I'd followed for its close ties to the Kingdom Hearts team. Kingdom Hearts also introduced me to the World ends with you, another personnel favourite.

As as you can see, Kingdom Hearts has formed a massive part of my youth, teenage years and still to this day. I went to my first comic con yesterday and to see people dressed up as Sora and Ventus was absolutely fantastic. To see Kingdom hearts artwork on display and people walking round with keyblades was brilliant. It's great to see other people share the same love and admiration for Kingom Hearts. I also purchased my first keyblade (the Kingdom Key) now sitting proudly in my bedroom. Here's to many more years of Kingdom Hearts!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The KH1 commercials with the Disney characters + "Simple & Clean." The song was amazing, and the Disney characters looked amazing (which surprised me for a video game). Seeing Ursula and Maleficent specifically locked me down to buy that game.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
KH2 was the first game I played. I remembered the commercials for KH1 but I never played the game when it came out. In 06 I saw magazine outlining all the worlds in the game and I got hooked. A few days later I went onto the NA website and I was even more hooked. I saw that you could play through Mulan, PotC, Steamboat Willie Etc., summon Stitch, turn into an lion and my 11 year old self couldn't resist.

Emperor

I started off with the first Kingdom Hearts. Back when it first came out I had no idea it existed until one of my friends introduced it to me. We were hanging out in his room and he asked if I wanted to play it. I remember thinking that the game sounded girly because of the title, lol.

But he popped the disk in and started a new file for me. While I went through the tutorial he explained what the game was about, and by the time I got off Destiny Islands I was hooked. Sadly, he had to move before I could get any further, and my parents didn't have enough money to get me a PS2. It wasn't till around the time KH2's commercials started airing that I got the console, so when I saw that KH had a sequel I decided I had to go out and get both games.

When I got to GameStop I learned that CoM was a thing, and since I had a DS I decided to get that too. I got a week off of school a day after getting the games because the roads had frozen over. I spent the entire week beating KH1. Good times.

FEZeldalord12345

Out of curiosity, what shortcomings?
Well, each game has a lot that I love, and a lot that I'm indifferent to. The most common of the latter is the story. I either don't care about the ideas, or really love the ideas but think the pacing is terrible. Each of the games have one part that stands out to me while another seems to drop the ball. Even my favorite so far, Birth By Sleep, REALLY gripped me with Terra's story, but I found Aqua's story to be dull.

sora x kairi

I got into the game series because i loved the story lines in each game of Kingdom Hearts and mostly Sora :) the KH series is the best out of the games ive played

HugoDipper

I saw a game review of Kingdom Hearts I in websites and got really excited for the gameplay, the combination of Final Fantasy and Disney and everthing about the game looked awesome, it took some years for me to have the chance to play Kingdom Hearts and I started with Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories when I was in high school.

It's cool that the series gets better and better with every new game, I just hope they don't get so dark like in BBS the one that I don't like so much like the others in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back