• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Final Fantasy is the best to start off with?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMNOP

I "THINK" I started with FFX im not sure if it was that or 8 but either way it lead me to play every game in the series (Excluding FF3, FF11, and FF14)

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Re: In what order should I play FF?

VIII is written by a 14 year old with a veeeery bad romance and lines and an even worse pacing.

Hahahaha

The only issue I remember having with VIII was that Squall's development felt kind of forced.

But yeah, it's been months since this thread was made and FFX is still the one I'd recommend to start with. Especially if you're getting into it because of KH.

IIMaxII

I never played final fantasy before...

I play kingdom hearts obviously, but I hear good things about FF, what do you guys recommend I start with to get into the series?

Razael

Personally, I feel starting off with FFVII, FFVI or FFVIII might be good. I played through FFVII and know a bit about FFVI and FFVIII so yeah xD. This is only cuz I really only know of them and not the rest so, this is based on my knowledge.

~ Raz

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Personally, I feel starting off with FFVII, FFVI or FFVIII might be good. I played through FFVII and know a bit about FFVI and FFVIII so yeah xD. This is only cuz I really only know of them and not the rest so, this is based on my knowledge.

~ Raz

I don't know, VIIIs gameplay seems a bit too convoluted for someone who has never played the series. Its easy for a fan to pick up and play, but I don't know if it would be a good one to start with.

Red Sage

From one who's played I-VI, X, XII-XIII, and about half the spinoffs, I'd personally recommend IV as a good starting point. It's got just about every trope and theme the series is known and loved for, as well as a fairly steady difficulty curve and straightforward story. Of course, for the perfectionists out there, you can't go wrong with starting from I and working forward. It's just that unlike many franchises, entry point for this series is nearly pointless as far as narrative is concerned.

start with crisis core or dirge of cerberus or final fantasy xiii-2
What the hell do you think you're doin m8.

Red Sage

~ Raz

VI is a personal favorite of mine, and VII/VIII have a style all their own, but as an entry point, I feel that the PSX ones would make one miss 3D graphics when playing oldies. Also, VI is a bit heavy to start out with, storywise. If someone is 100% new to the series, I think any of the 2Ds would be the preferable starting point so that they can appreciate the evolution of the series from S/NES to PS1 (this is coming from someone who started with XIII). Can't feed a man a doughnut on Sunday and expect him to be satisfied with bread the rest of the week.

Axel2178

I'd say Final Fantasy X, great graphics for it's time and the storyline is amazing. Not to mention Blitzball and the characters are both brilliant.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Definitely FFVII. It's a classic for many reasons. Enjoyable storyline, great soundtrack, and it uses the FF formula of gameplay.

The only ones I'd recommend staying away from are FFX and FFXIII. Those games are both horrible.

Vəntus

Awards
Website
the-gapra-whitewood.tumblr.com
In contrast to other people, I would actually go and say start with FFXIII, it was the first one I started with and it's what got me into the series. Also my favorite, in all elements. I can't see any huge faults besides linearity. Additionally, it shares a similar battle system to KH. Overall, though, I recommend playing any of them and playing them with an open mind because, the majority of the FF fanbase I've seen, they've played VII and aren't open to anything other than that. Just my opinion, of course.

Neo

^^ Same here, Final Fantasy XIII was the first game I started out with and I was hooked from start to finish even with all the game's faults. I guess the thing is that my mindset wasn't contaminated with bias about previous games As I hadn't played an FF before and FF XIII proved to be an exhilrating experience.

Decrith

@ Vəntus
and
Neo
, I have noticed that everyone I know who had XIII as their first Final Fantasy love it. So naturally it goes to show that a lot of bias goes with nostalgia (seriously my first is FF8, and is still my favorite [even with the horrible junction system])

Anyway, I for one believe that it doesn't matter which FF you start with, if you're REALLY new to the series, go with what your gut tells you, you'll enjoy the game either way, because every FF is awesome.

Neo

^^Yes, Nostalgia can be a strong factor in a long running franchise like Final Fantasy which also makes alor of radical changes to the formula with each new iteration - now even more so than before - I think it's best to judge each game on its own merits. When you're playing a new FF game don't compare it to the others, don't even think about any of the other games and just enjoy it for what it is. The Player will ultimately win this way.

Roxas21691

I would definately say Final Fantasy IX, a brilliant game, great story and characters, and gameplay-wise i would say it's one of the easiest in the series.

nxtgarnett5

I'd either start off with VII, X, XII, or XIII. It all depends on what you're looking for. VII is obviously the one everyone goes gaga over, X is great for story, XII is just all around great, and XIII has ridiculously amazing graphics. Can't really go wrong with one of those though

Master Ultima

Awards
Id go with Final Fantasy IV. It has a really good story and is worth replaying. It also has a sequel which is also good for those who want to continue on and play it as their second final fantasy title played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back