• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Final Fantasy is the best to start off with?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy newbie

You should skip out on the first three games though. They're just terribly outdated. Of course, if you end up becoming a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you will probably want to try them out eventually, but they're more a reminder of how it all began than they're fun to play.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy newbie

You should skip out on the first three games though. They're just terribly outdated. Of course, if you end up becoming a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you will probably want to try them out eventually, but they're more a reminder of how it all began than they're fun to play.

yea i figured i'd play them last

and btw,looks like i was dead wrong on me finishing ff7,bizarro sephiroth is beatable but the second form apparently needs some serious preparation.I just spent about 8 hours today breeding some chocobos in order to get Knights of the round materia which has been one of the most tedious things I have done in any game in recent memory.

I don't mind level grinding,but this........

Apostle

Silver Member
Awards
I think I had about 80 hours clocked in on FFVII before I beat the game. Probably way over the norm, but I put off beating sephiroth for along time with grinding, chocobo breeding, etc.

I've so far played I, II, IV, VI, VII, and XIII. I've always been more drawn to the older, turn-based, medieval-esque FFs. I'd recommend IV for sure; if you have a PSP, definitely look into the FFIV Complete Collection. The overhauled graphics are really great, not to mention it's practically 2 games in 1 with FFIV and The After Years. While I'm on the topic of PSP remakes, I and II were remade very well also. They're still great games, and I wouldn't let the fact that they're such early entries in the series turn you off to them.

I've heard really great things about IX, it's probably next on my to-play list once I completely finish VI.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I've played through IV, VII, IX, and X. I got towards the end of VI and VIII, and I played about half way through I and XIII. I found III to be tremendously difficult right from the beginning, and I just had no interest in II at all. Still never touched V or XII.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
if you have a PSP, definitely look into the FFIV Complete Collection. The overhauled graphics are really great, not to mention it's practically 2 games in 1 with FFIV and The After Years. While I'm on the topic of PSP remakes, I and II were remade very well also. They're still great games, and I wouldn't let the fact that they're such early entries in the series turn you off to them.

That's good to know.But before that,since you brought up the psp,is crisis core worth it? If I should go for the full story of VII,there seems to be a movie and alot of games across different platforms....not to mention,mobile phone games *shivers* (oh god this is KH all over again).

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
To be honest, the "Compilation of Final Fantasy VII" games are mostly about nostalgia. Since you're new to VII, a lot of their appeal is lost on you. Crisis Core is a decent game though, but it is pretty much to VII what X-2 is to X. Chapters, missions, sidequests the story is good but rather short. The only difference is that you play as one guy and not three girls. Definitely worth trying, but like with the first three games in the series you should save it until you've played through the other games. The only sequel that's actually worth putting a lot of time into is XIII-2. I'd say that if you do want some more VII after beating the game, watch Last Order and Advent Children as they won't take up that much of your time before moving on to the next proper game in the series.

impart

Climb The Sky
Id say to start off with X

its a bit easier to adjust to then the earlier RPGs
my first FF was IX, and I had a really hard time learning to manage my party and figuring out how to get around because it was a bit more traditional then the later Final Fantasys

that being said its not rocket science and I was able to figure things out after some time, FF IX is my favorite game and I HATED playing FFX with a passion because it was too different then FF IX

but FFX is closer to KH in terms of graphics and voice acting
its a little less if an adjustment
I hated the sphere grid tho, that was horrible no matter how you look at it

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
start with crisis core or dirge of cerberus or final fantasy xiii-2

Terrible suggestions. I recommend something like Ehrgeiz and then the FFIV interlude. Then I'd say it's safer to test the deeper waters by trying out Dirge of Cerberus.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
TERRIBLE SUGGESTIONS
TERRIBLE SUGGESTIONS
TERRIBLE SUGGESTIONS
TERRIBLE SUGGESTIONS
TERRIBLE SUGGESTIONS

idk you should try x-2

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
FF X-2 is playable, as long as you turn of the volume and remember to close your eyes every now and then.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Please don't, not over that ;~; (voices were annoying, is all)

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
the first one because you'll never understand the plot of the rest
okay
21ec84n.jpg

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
ff6 is the unsung hero of FF. Great game.

All of the numbered titles are pretty disconnected, though. Where you start doesn't matter at all.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
The one that you have a console for. None of the stories are connected, different story, different characters... etc. So you can really start from anywhere. If you still have a PS2, get Final Fantasy X and X-2. PS3 or Xbox, get FF XIII and XIII-2. DS: FFIII or IV. And I don't remember where you can get I and II. But V, VI, VII, VIII and IX, are all on the PSN.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
So i finished the whole ffvii compilation (minus the shitty mobile game ofc,which i read up on it's story online).and i actually enjoyed dirge of cerberus so i dont know what you all are on about(and the reviews,for that matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back