• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Final Fantasy is the best to start off with?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Although if you go with four, it is much more difficult than most games. Prepare to scream. A lot. Especially at the end where you will die over and over

FFIV was my first main FF game (FFT was the first in general) and I found it extremely easy. I don't remember dying at all, and I wasn't even particularly good at RPGs back then. He would probably be fine if he chose to start with FFIV, which would probably be a good decision.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
I had downloaded ff 5 free through PSN plus and gave it a try.I really got into it and loved the story and gameplay,the "jobs" feature was something new and unique.I already bought the famed FF7 even though I haven't finished 5(mainly because it was on sale though ;p).But I gotta say,im a pretty impatient guy at times and when you go through areas and have to face enemies after every two steps or so is pretty annoying.

But still,this game is pretty awesome and doesn't feel like it has aged that much.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I always thought that all the games were similar when it came to random battles (with the exception of the ones after X). That's part of the system, and I agree that random battles can be ridiculously annoying sometimes.

tri-blade

Start with 10. Believe me, FF7 brought up a fandom that became obsessed over that game and blew it out of proportion. There were people in which stopped playing the franchise altogether after FF7 came out. 10 is the place that connects the bridge of change between the franchise's direction. There are few people I know who played FF7 and said that they enjoyed the games after 7. If you have a PS2, then you are good to go. If not, then just wait.

Best place in numbered titles: FF10
worst place in numbered titles: FF7

JustSnilloc

from a gameplay perspective, I'd say start with FFXII... It's an easy way to get used to a turn based combat system if you've never experienced it before- as it presents psuedo-turn-based combat

But... for any other reason, I'm willing to side with everyone else :)

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
honestly, just dontplay any of theem. its a mediocre series, created by an idiot who doesnt even know how to game. its filth. play better games. give up final fantasy for far better things, like, such as, etc. you know? knock it off, stop asking about final fantasy. you don't deserve it.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Start with 10. Believe me, FF7 brought up a fandom that became obsessed over that game and blew it out of proportion. There were people in which stopped playing the franchise altogether after FF7 came out. 10 is the place that connects the bridge of change between the franchise's direction. There are few people I know who played FF7 and said that they enjoyed the games after 7. If you have a PS2, then you are good to go. If not, then just wait.

I lol'd at this post.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
from a gameplay perspective, I'd say start with FFXII... It's an easy way to get used to a turn based combat system if you've never experienced it before- as it presents psuedo-turn-based combat

But... for any other reason, I'm willing to side with everyone else :)
Wouldn't it be easier to just play a FF with actual turn-based gameplay? XII was rather complicated, what with all the setting up of gambits among other things.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards

I thought the number seven was meant to be lucky. Well, enjoy your opnion sir.

I started off with X myself, it was good to play, Auron was a badass and just a good game all round.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Wouldn't it be easier to just play a FF with actual turn-based gameplay? XII was rather complicated, what with all the setting up of gambits among other things.

XII may be a bit difficult to get into for casual players unless they know what they're doing. I found my second playthrough of XII a lot more enjoyable than the first because I had a better understanding of how gambits worked and I gave characters specific stats and weapons to focus on. I even restricted them with exclusive abilities until I was confident with it; it personally felt messy if I just gave them everything. If I had to advise anyone, spend lots of time exploring and that's one of the strongest charms I've had of XII. Exploring should be encouraged first and story progression second.

JustSnilloc

Sure, if you're feeling up to it. I felt XII was rather simple, my first playthrough of it I didn't realize what the gambits even did until about 2/3's of the way through the game ^_^

I wasn't accustomed to turn based games in the least- in fact for a while I was playing the game as if it were an action game lol... But, as time went on, I became accustomed to the psuedo-turn based combat, then (much later) I became aware of the gambits... The game was my first FF game and set me up pretty well to like the rest of the series (Thus far I've played I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, X, XII, XIII... I've only actually had time to play most of and beat I, II, VII, XII)

But yeah, from a gameplay perspective I obtained a taste for turn based combat- something that I previously lacked

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Although if you go with four, it is much more difficult than most games. Prepare to scream. A lot. Especially at the end where you will die over and over

FFIV was my first main FF game (FFT was the first in general) and I found it extremely easy. I don't remember dying at all, and I wasn't even particularly good at RPGs back then. He would probably be fine if he chose to start with FFIV, which would probably be a good decision.

Personally, I say it holds the middle ground. Sure, you'll find yourself suffering if you're rushing through the game - finding yourself at low levels in dungeons where save points are scarce, but I thought the difficulty setting was a nice balance between fun and challenging. There's not a whole lot of customization, so the augments were a nice addition. Either way, no boss in that game ever rivaled the likes of KH's Mysterious Figure, Vanitas Remnant, or Sephiroth battles. If you can handle those guys, you can handle IV (and all turn-based battle systems).

The more I think about it though, either VII or X would be more suitable for a KH fan being inducted into FF, strictly on account of their respective characters having most permeated the KH series.

tri-blade

I lol'd at this post.

OF course it's the worst place. If you start with the most hyped up FF game, then you will not be able to truly find any fun with the others. Afterwords, you will be just comparing every game to FF7 and setting yourself up for dissapointment. Get some background on the FF series first and then go into FF7.

Thanks to a butt-load of nostalgia and overhyping the crap out of the game, FF7 has become practically impossible to get a remake from Square Enix. That is why FF10 is getting the remaster for the PS3 and not FF7. FF10 is hyped up, but it's not impossible to get on the PS3. Square said themselves that it would take 10 years for FF7 to be remade for the PS3 and I agree because of nostalgia ridden fanboys and their practically impossible standards.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
XII may be a bit difficult to get into for casual players unless they know what they're doing. I found my second playthrough of XII a lot more enjoyable than the first because I had a better understanding of how gambits worked and I gave characters specific stats and weapons to focus on. I even restricted them with exclusive abilities until I was confident with it; it personally felt messy if I just gave them everything. If I had to advise anyone, spend lots of time exploring and that's one of the strongest charms I've had of XII. Exploring should be encouraged first and story progression second.
I agree, and that's what I did in my other playthrough as well. Setting individual jobs felt like I was really getting the most out of the gambits and the game.

Sure, if you're feeling up to it. I felt XII was rather simple, my first playthrough of it I didn't realize what the gambits even did until about 2/3's of the way through the game ^_^
What I'm saying is that XII is not a good game to get familiar with the series because of its unusual gameplay compared to other simpler titles. But hey, as long as they're enjoying the games.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
FF IX or FF X imo.

FF IX is pretty much a mix of all the final fantasies before it and X is well.. X was my first Final Fantasy game and I've been playing a lot FF since then so I think that's a good game to begin with.

X also has very enjoyable gameplay (to me it's a bit more strategic than the final fantasies before it) and it has a nice story.

I really recommend that one!

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
OF course it's the worst place. If you start with the most hyped up FF game, then you will not be able to truly find any fun with the others. Afterwords, you will be just comparing every game to FF7 and setting yourself up for dissapointment. Get some background on the FF series first and then go into FF7.

Thanks to a butt-load of nostalgia and overhyping the crap out of the game, FF7 has become practically impossible to get a remake from Square Enix. That is why FF10 is getting the remaster for the PS3 and not FF7. FF10 is hyped up, but it's not impossible to get on the PS3. Square said themselves that it would take 10 years for FF7 to be remade for the PS3 and I agree because of nostalgia ridden fanboys and their practically impossible standards.

The FFVII comment wasn't the reason that I was laughing at the post; it was the comments about FFX.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Final Fantasy newbie

So this is a series that i've always disliked because I hated the idea of turn based combat,until I gave it a try that is,and now im in love with it.Beyond that,I'm looking to fully immerse myself with the universe

Anyways,i wanted to know the average time for completing FF games.Note that im talking about finishing the story,not reaching lvl99 or beating side quests or optional bosses.
I started out with FFV about a month ago and finished it with 35 hrs.Now im well on my way to finish FFVII reaching the last boss with 31 hrs locked in.
So I guess im averaging 30-40 hours per game.

Also,I've been wondering;since i've played the famed FF7 which alot seem to regard as one of the best-if not the best-,then will I find the other FF's below expectations?

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: Final Fantasy newbie

I'd say the average playtime through an FF's story is 30-40 hours.

Like you will undoubtedly find out, people's opinions on FF differ greatly. FF7 is thought to be remarkable by many because at the time it was so revolutionary. It's still a great game today but the game's graphics don't look so great today compared to how they used to.

Critically many people point to FF6 and argue that it's actually hands down the best FF game in the series so I'd recommend you try that one out too.

Then we have FF8, which has gotten a mixed reception. It's graphics hold out very well still today and it's emphasis on realism paid off. Some people love the game, it's characters and story while others absolutely hate it at the same time. I recommend you try the game out and find out on which side you belong. I personally love the game.

FF9 is a kind of back to the roots and basics kind of a game. While FF7 and FF8 aimed for a more modern setting, FF9 actually went back to the NES and SNES eras and had an older, medieval/17th century kind of a vibe. It's a very decent game and it's main goal was to capture all the classical aspects which defined a Final Fantasy game, including all the faults of the series too. Nevertheless, it has gotten a great critical reception with many people thinking of it as the best in the series. The game's creators often say that this one is their favorite.

FF10 is a kind of a change from the norm, appearing on the PS2. It's noticeably more linear and it doesn't include things like a world map and some other classic FF aspects and it includes voice acting for the first time, albeit kinda bad voice acting. Otherwise it's a great game, filled with great characters and an interesting and enjoyable story. Many people like to think of this one as the best in the series, though that's often because this game (like FF7 for others) was the first FF title for many people.

It's these games (along with VII) which have been considered to be the best in the series. I recommend you start with any one of those, since I think they're all great in their own way. Have fun!

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Since you've already finished V and soon VII as well, I think you should try to play through IV, VI, VIII, IX, X, XII and XIII to see which ones you like and which ones you don't. Who knows, you might end up liking all of them.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards

I'd say the average playtime through an FF's story is 30-40 hours.

Like you will undoubtedly find out, people's opinions on FF differ greatly. FF7 is thought to be remarkable by many because at the time it was so revolutionary. It's still a great game today but the game's graphics don't look so great today compared to how they used to.

Critically many people point to FF6 and argue that it's actually hands down the best FF game in the series so I'd recommend you try that one out too.

Then we have FF8, which has gotten a mixed reception. It's graphics hold out very well still today and it's emphasis on realism paid off. Some people love the game, it's characters and story while others absolutely hate it at the same time. I recommend you try the game out and find out on which side you belong. I personally love the game.

FF9 is a kind of back to the roots and basics kind of a game. While FF7 and FF8 aimed for a more modern setting, FF9 actually went back to the NES and SNES eras and had an older, medieval/17th century kind of a vibe. It's a very decent game and it's main goal was to capture all the classical aspects which defined a Final Fantasy game, including all the faults of the series too. Nevertheless, it has gotten a great critical reception with many people thinking of it as the best in the series. The game's creators often say that this one is their favorite.

FF10 is a kind of a change from the norm, appearing on the PS2. It's noticeably more linear and it doesn't include things like a world map and some other classic FF aspects and it includes voice acting for the first time, albeit kinda bad voice acting. Otherwise it's a great game, filled with great characters and an interesting and enjoyable story. Many people like to think of this one as the best in the series, though that's often because this game (like FF7 for others) was the first FF title for many people.

It's these games (along with VII) which have been considered to be the best in the series. I recommend you start with any one of those, since I think they're all great in their own way. Have fun!

ty for the info
Personally,I have never cared about graphics so far while playing the games.Have to say though that there was a huge graphical leap between the two.The things that annoy me the most about VII was that there were areas where you can hardly see the exit,or it was hard to move.V,on the other hand was just like a pokemon game with those 8-bit graphics.

I will be sure to check the ones listed,the linearity might kill it though,I like roaming freely and sometimes having to figure things out on my own.But if it has a good story and gameplay then im all up for it.

I also noticed the change of leveling system in both V and VII,where one uses jobs and the other materia,so it seems like they experiment with new things in each game which is fun.

Since you've already finished V and soon VII as well, I think you should try to play through IV, VI, VIII, IX, X, XII and XIII to see which ones you like and which ones you don't. Who knows, you might end up liking all of them.

I plan on playing each FF from the beginning as much as time allows,so whatever number is on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back