• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What even IS Maleficent's motive at this point? Like...seriously?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

disney233

Awards
Her motives and her priorities are just all over the wall after 1. Let me break it down:

It starts with Birth by Sleep, where her motives are basically trying to harass and capture Aurora just like in the movie. Evidently, Xehanort came in and he (at least I hope to god it's him that's telling her) tells her about the worlds outside of his own, and evidently, the 7 Princesses of Light to set up his scheme. She (just like everyone else in this goddamn game) is just a pawn in Xehanort's worldwide game of chess.

Then KH1's motives were as clear as day. Her goal is to capture the 7 Princesses of Heart and conquer all the worlds with the help of the Heartless. And by doing this she rallied together the other Disney villains around the world, for her plan that benefits both her and them. In the mix, she manipulated Riku and captured Kairi. Although I don't know what drove her to Radiant Garden, but I assume after Ansem...or Xehanort? summoned the Heartless to the RoL, dooming the world, Maleficent stepped in and...I assume, took control of the Heartless and made Radiant Garden...or Hollow Bastion her empire.

After all of that...I don't know what the hell her plans are. So, she gets revived through the Fairies' memories of her, and she...wants to take over Disney Castle...for some reason. Like...I don't know what interest she has with it. Anyway, basically her motives in KH2 were...just to hunt for a new castle? I mean...she hasn't done much that would prove otherwise, like...she WANTS the Castle that Never Was, if it's any indication.

And then her motives become even more wonkey in Re:Coded and DDD. Pete went into Disney Castle...for some reason (How the hell did he even get in? I thought the Cornerstone of Light protects the town from darkness...and doesn't Pete basically have dark powers and darkness in his heart) and then got sucked into Jiminy's Journal. She called Maleficent...who teleports in...and they make it out as if she can't teleport out...I guess? And then comes her motive throughout Re:Coded and DDD to...try to take not only the castle, but to take the data within Jiminy's Journal?

Is...there some sort of reason she WANTS the data? Or even know HOW she can get the data? Or HOW she could work it? I highly doubt someone from the middle ages would know something like that. I'm assuming she wants the data so she could...make copies of the data within the journal so she...I'M LOST HERE. I legit don't really know what's her game with the datascape.

And FINALLY, we've gone to her current motive in KH3: To...completely forget EVERYTHING that happened in Re:Coded and DDD, and move on to get to box. HOW DOES SHE KNOW ABOUT THE BOX IN THE FIRST PLACE, ANYWAY? AND WHAT DOES SHE EVEN WANT WITH IT? Is there some KHX thing that makes her want the box? Because...I don't even WANT to touch her motives in KHX. It doesn't even make any sense JUST LIKE HALF, IF NOT ALL OF THE SERIES.

So like...what the hell does she even want at this point? I've lost track. Her story is just...a MESS.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Her motives and her priorities are just all over the wall after 1. Let me break it down:

It starts with Birth by Sleep, where her motives are basically trying to harass and capture Aurora just like in the movie. Evidently, Xehanort came in and he (at least I hope to god it's him that's telling her) tells her about the worlds outside of his own, and evidently, the 7 Princesses of Light to set up his scheme. She (just like everyone else in this goddamn game) is just a pawn in Xehanort's worldwide game of chess.

Then KH1's motives were as clear as day. Her goal is to capture the 7 Princesses of Heart and conquer all the worlds with the help of the Heartless. And by doing this she rallied together the other Disney villains around the world, for her plan that benefits both her and them. In the mix, she manipulated Riku and captured Kairi. Although I don't know what drove her to Radiant Garden, but I assume after Ansem...or Xehanort? summoned the Heartless to the RoL, dooming the world, Maleficent stepped in and...I assume, took control of the Heartless and made Radiant Garden...or Hollow Bastion her empire.

After all of that...I don't know what the hell her plans are. So, she gets revived through the Fairies' memories of her, and she...wants to take over Disney Castle...for some reason. Like...I don't know what interest she has with it. Anyway, basically her motives in KH2 were...just to hunt for a new castle? I mean...she hasn't done much that would prove otherwise, like...she WANTS the Castle that Never Was, if it's any indication.

And then her motives become even more wonkey in Re:Coded and DDD. Pete went into Disney Castle...for some reason (How the hell did he even get in? I thought the Cornerstone of Light protects the town from darkness...and doesn't Pete basically have dark powers and darkness in his heart) and then got sucked into Jiminy's Journal. She called Maleficent...who teleports in...and they make it out as if she can't teleport out...I guess? And then comes her motive throughout Re:Coded and DDD to...try to take not only the castle, but to take the data within Jiminy's Journal?

Is...there some sort of reason she WANTS the data? Or even know HOW she can get the data? Or HOW she could work it? I highly doubt someone from the middle ages would know something like that. I'm assuming she wants the data so she could...make copies of the data within the journal so she...I'M LOST HERE. I legit don't really know what's her game with the datascape.

And FINALLY, we've gone to her current motive in KH3: To...completely forget EVERYTHING that happened in Re:Coded and DDD, and move on to get to box. HOW DOES SHE KNOW ABOUT THE BOX IN THE FIRST PLACE, ANYWAY? AND WHAT DOES SHE EVEN WANT WITH IT? Is there some KHX thing that makes her want the box? Because...I don't even WANT to touch her motives in KHX. It doesn't even make any sense JUST LIKE HALF, IF NOT ALL OF THE SERIES.

So like...what the hell does she even want at this point? I've lost track. Her story is just...a MESS.
Well after KH2, it's confirmed that her main goal is to get a castle that she can move in to - she will take any castle she can get (Disney or The World That Never Was). They could have furthered this plot point in KH3 by having her try to take over Elsa's ice castle.

Her minor goal is to get the Black Box. I think that "Darkness" told her about the box and also the power of data. We see the power of data in KHUX, so Maleficent may have wanted the data from Jiminy's Journal for some soon-to-be-revealed reason (probably in connection to what's in the box).

I'm hoping in KH IV that they refocus Maleficent on finding her forever castle and she appears in Agrabah to try to steal the palace. This will introduce us to a part of Agrabah that we never explored and also further Maleficent's plot. Maybe the first portion of KH IV can be Disney worlds with castles and we encounter Maleficent in each world trying to steal the castle until we kill her off? This would allow Beast's Castle, Land of Dragons, Agrabah, Atlantica, and Kingdom of Corona to reappear. They can also do BRAVE.

Foxycian

Awards
I feel like it is Just an excuse to have a Disney villain around, tbh I’m ok with That I like maleficent as the main disney villain that can travel to the outside world as she pleases.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I feel like it is Just an excuse to have a Disney villain around, tbh I’m ok with That I like maleficent as the main disney villain that can travel to the outside world as she pleases.
I'm hoping Hades becomes another Disney villain that is roaming about the worlds. After the events of KH3, I want to see him leave Olympus, determined to get revenge on Sora and company. At this point, they've caused more trouble for him than Hercules.

I would actually love a team up of Hades/Jafar, so maybe Hades can visit Agrabah and revive Jafar. I feel like Hades/Jafar can also have a feud with Maleficent/Pete, they can chase after the box and see who will get to it first, while also trying to get revenge on Sora.

D

Deleted member 252753

The reason Maleficent wants the Journal's data and is looking for the Black Box is that her true goal is obtaining the Book of Prophecies. She assumedly learns of it in UX and is led to believe the Box contains the Book by a someone in black. She believes the the Book of Prophecies will allow her to conjure worlds into being, warping reality to her wishes (Coded), and she notices the similarity between this and the Datascape and so wants to get the data to find a connection with the BoP. In KH3, she has apparently switched to finding the Box to get it.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The reason Maleficent wants the Journal's data and is looking for the Black Box is that her true goal is obtaining the Book of Prophecies. She assumedly learns of it in UX and is led to believe the Box contains the Book by a someone in black. She believes the the Book of Prophecies will allow her to conjure worlds into being, warping reality to her wishes (Coded), and she notices the similarity between this and the Datascape and so wants to get the data to find a connection with the BoP. In KH3, she has apparently switched to finding the Box to get it.
What about her main goal in KH2 to find a castle to live in? I'm racking my brain trying to connect owning a castle and the data/black box. How are they connected? Or maybe she doesn't want any castle, she wants Disney Castle for time travel capabilities (connected to KHUX) or she wants The World That Never Was because of Xehanort's information on KHUX?

legacier

Awards
I mean, she's the self-proclaimed "Mistress of all Evil," so what do you expect? She's a Disney villain, so her motive is being evil.

To answer your question, it's like others have said. It's all a means to an end, and her ultimate goal is to rule all worlds. Regarding the Castle That Never Was, the organization was her enemy, too, because she knows Xehanort (and by extension, Xemnas), has the same goal in mind. In other words, they're competition. And not for nothing, it also has Kingdom Hearts.

Re:Mind implies that Sora's memories have some hidden significance, so that's probably what she was after in Re:Coded and DDD. Remember, those games take place after she returns from the past, so she likely knows things we don't yet. Not to mention she learned a lot of things from Xehanort, who was also after Sora's memories for unknown reasons.

She learned about data worlds in KHUX because she was sent into one. "Darkness" explained it to her. By the way, you're right that she doesn't understand it—she calls the datascape the "date escape," but presumably she knows it's important because of whatever she learned in the past. That's the same reason she knows about the box. Although we don't know exactly why yet, she believes it contains the Book of Prophecies (which, again, she learned about in the past), which she believes can be used to rewrite destiny. As "Darkness" noted, she wanted to erase her failure from history—that is, create a future in which she achieves her goal of world domination.

As for her motive in KHUX, it's explored a bit more in quests that don't yet exist in the English version, but I'll say that obviously she would want to escape from the simulation that was created exclusively to prevent her from achieving her goals. Some details are intentionally vague for now because we haven't seen her full story, but you can use your imagination and figure they're probably related to her overarching goal of world domination... that doesn't need to be spelled out.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Maleficent's goal is sequel baiting. I'm sure in KH4 she and Pete will be looking for the "magic robe" a device that will be relevant in Kingdom Hearts 5 and she'll spend all game looking for it only to fail.

Being serious Maleficent's role has diminished over the years. Ever since KH1 she's become less threatening, even by KH2 she had no presence. But now that she's tied to this Darkness character there might be some hope for her in the future. Her main objectives seem to be the Bop and the Box and they are probably tied together.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I thought KH3 would be the one that would make her relevant to the story again, but that didn't happen, so.... I don't expect it to. If the treatment of Disney's greatest villain KH2-onwards is anything to go by, maybe Disney is right to limit Square from allowing characters to leave their individual film universes.

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
Maleficent's ultimate goal has always been universal domination. That's been consistent throughout the series. All of her escapades have merely been direct or indirect means to that end.
In KH1, she wanted to gather the Princesses of Heart to open the Door to Darkness and obtain power over Kingdom Hearts.
In KH2, she still was after Kingdom Hearts, but with her forces and resources severely diminished, and with her old haunt of Hollow Bastion having been retaken by its original inhabitants, the priority for her was first to A) obtain a new base of operations, any that would suffice, and B) re-amass her Heartless army, which she and Pete spent the first half of KH2 doing only to be foiled at the halfway point by Sora and Organization XIII.
In Coded and DDD, Maleficent's options have become severely limited, as she still has no HQ and absolutely no Heartless, leaving Pete as her only henchman, a truly pitiful situation for the Mistress of All Evil to find herself in. I believe her primary intention in Coded was to try and use the Data worlds as a means of digitally creating a Heartless army that she could bring out into the real world and use to conquer the Realm of Light again. I know she mentions the Book of Prophecies in the Coded movie, but I believe that was only a Plan B that she and Pete resorted to after being foiled again in the Datascape. Of course, the fact that she returns to Disney Castle AFTER that scene in DDD implies that she hadn't yet given up on that plan by that point, but we must remember that Nomura is a retcon machine, and he only introduced that BoP scene AFTER DDD's release.
In UX, she tried to go back in time and rewrite her defeat in BBS, perhaps hoping to re-enact her search for the Princesses from a much stronger position of power being in control of her home world. But when that failed, her only goal in that game continues to be just her trying to escape out into the real world and back to her own time.
And of course, at this point we can assume that her hunt for the Box and the Book of Prophecies in KH3 is yet another means to her final end of world domination, and to be frank I'm not even sure SHE knows what's inside it. She's just so out of options at this point that she seems willing to go on a wild goose chase on the slim possibility that she'll get what she's looking for.
The infuriating problem with Maleficent's character in this series is that she's never really had any true agency. Even in KH1, which saw her at her most influential and intimidating, the end of the game proved that she was little more than a pawn acting unknowingly in the service of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness. Since KH1, she's been nothing but an unwitting tool for people like Master Xehanort and Darkness who have much grander goals and more sophisticated schemes than she does. Like a lot of other people, I yearn for her to be a more prominent force in the games to come, and we might get that depending on how her arc with the Box unfolds, but to be honest I think it's just going to end up being another situation where Maleficent finds herself being used to fulfill someone else's goal, with her getting nothing out of it and looking like a total fool.
Personally, I'd love to see Nomura bring more Disney villains into the fray, but Disney is so unreasonably stifling when it comes to their IP that I don't think it'll ever happen. I doubt that Nomura has some grand plan for her that will actually see her return to a height of importance again; the difficulty of working with Disney's suits seems to just be too painful to deal with for her sake. I think he only keeps her and Pete around because maybe he's obligated to have at least one prominent Disney villain in the franchise at any given time, given that it is supposed to be a Disney property and all.
All I'll say is, KH4 better darn well have this lady gettin' fierce again, because she's been nothing but a blue-balling disappointment for well over a decade now, and they need to step up their game with her or else cut her loose.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I think it’s easy to forget that Maleficent is Disney’s Big Bad or at least up there. From novels to park events, she is the go to big bad and it is somewhat disappointing to see her lose relevance in the series. We all complain about Disney’s shackles on Nomura but we have to remember that these IPs are Disney’s, and I personally don’t see the proper respect given to certain characters.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
A popular thing many want is Maleficent to revive the Disney villain court she had in KH1, but more updated with different villains. That could have been a thing. Too bad she didn't have villains like King Candy or even Clu to take over digital worlds for her.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
A popular thing many want is Maleficent to revive the Disney villain court she had in KH1, but more updated with different villains. That could have been a thing. Too bad she didn't have villains like King Candy or even Clu to take over digital worlds for her.
That is actually a really cool idea. King Candy/Turbo would be a perfect way to combine a Disney film and the main plot. He could be connected to the "virus in the system" that is mentioned in KHUX.

Personally, I always felt like Maleficent despised Xehanort more than anyone else due to him actively using her to get his goal in KH1. Which is why Maleficent's desire to take over The World That Never Was made sense. I would love to see that as her new base and have a scene with her and Pete going through Xemnas' things, mocking Xehanort's demise and emphasizing that her patience was to get him out of the way and have him do all of the work, so that she could step in and claim the "real prize" (black box). It would be a cool way to have her get revenge on Xehanort, like have her as the one with the last laugh.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
That is actually a really cool idea. King Candy/Turbo would be a perfect way to combine a Disney film and the main plot. He could be connected to the "virus in the system" that is mentioned in KHUX.

Personally, I always felt like Maleficent despised Xehanort more than anyone else due to him actively using her to get his goal in KH1. Which is why Maleficent's desire to take over The World That Never Was made sense. I would love to see that as her new base and have a scene with her and Pete going through Xemnas' things, mocking Xehanort's demise and emphasizing that her patience was to get him out of the way and have him do all of the work, so that she could step in and claim the "real prize" (black box). It would be a cool way to have her get revenge on Xehanort, like have her as the one with the last laugh.

I got that impression as well, especially because I've been thinking about the overall structure of the series' narrative and I realized that Maleficent's character archetype is one that almost always focuses on playing the long game. Related to that, I realized in the course of my analysis that her goal is the exact same that it's always been: she wants dominion over all the worlds using the power of Kingdom Hearts just like in KH1, the only thing that's changed since then is the methods she's using to accomplish this.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Honestly I just wish Maleficent stayed dead in KH1. If Nomura never brought her back nothing would have changed from KH2 to KH3.
I feel the same honestly. I also kinda feel Pete works just as well as his own bad guy getting the Heartless rather then a henchmen.

disney233

Awards
I feel the same honestly. I also kinda feel Pete works just as well as his own bad guy getting the Heartless rather then a henchmen.
There are villains LEAGUES better than Maleficent that could work as a stand-in for her. But with such crap treatment on the Disney side in a wider perspective than just world-seclusion ....I highly doubt those villains would be explored. Why kill off the Evil Queen or Lady Tramaine and the Stepsisters so early, when they're the NEXT best choices? Would've also explored Anastasia's redemption arc in the midst.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
There are villains LEAGUES better than Maleficent that could work as a stand-in for her. But with such crap treatment on the Disney side in a wider perspective than just world-seclusion ....I highly doubt those villains would be explored. Why kill off the Evil Queen or Lady Tramaine and the Stepsisters so early, when they're the NEXT best choices? Would've also explored Anastasia's redemption arc in the midst.
Personally I'm glad they killed off the stepsisters so I don't have to look at their ugly mugs ever in high def...lol joking of course.

The thing is I'd question if we'd even be allowed to fight another Disney bosses like that anymore given how strict KH3 was. Hades, Maleficent, and Pete did not get boss battles even though we've fought them before (and I personally love fighting Pete) it makes me curious if Disney forbade that too. Maleficent now having that live action version and all. So even if they replaced Maleficent I doubt that next villain would reach her heights from KH1. Not when we have other villains that don't have any restrictions at all.

disney233

Awards
Personally I'm glad they killed off the stepsisters so I don't have to look at their ugly mugs ever in high def...lol joking of course.

The thing is I'd question if we'd even be allowed to fight another Disney bosses like that anymore given how strict KH3 was. Hades, Maleficent, and Pete did not get boss battles even though we've fought them before (and I personally love fighting Pete) it makes me curious if Disney forbade that too. Maleficent now having that live action version and all. So even if they replaced Maleficent I doubt that next villain would reach her heights from KH1. Not when we have other villains that don't have any restrictions at all.
That's just about everyone's fear at this point. With how shafted Disney and Final Fantasy have been for the PAST GAMES, it makes me wonder what even was the point of this...Disney crossover with 'Final Fantasy cameos' they both have potential but both companies don't even WANT to see it.

Back