• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What does this mean?

• Thread starter Deleted member 235902
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 235902

I understand time travel in Dream Drop Distance for the most part, but there's always been this one thing that I don't really understand. in the game, we are told that the Robed Figure passed on the ability to time travel to Young Xehanort, so that Young Xehanort doesn't have to get rid of his body or something like that. I was confused as to how you can just simply "give" someone the ability to time travel, so I looked into it. I found a Nomura interview where he says this: "to transcend time one must ‘first’ discard their form. As a result of the actions of the Brown Robed Figure, they all were in a state where they had gained the power to transcend time. The Brown Robed Figure explains the facts. The thirteen were summoned at the same time, this time thanks to Young Xehanort who borrowed that power."

What does this mean exactly? Am I the only one who has no idea what he's saying here? Could it be the translation that's making it more confusing that it actually is, because I'm not sure what he's trying to say? It seems like he's saying that they all gained the ability to time travel because the Robed Figure was Xehanort reduced to just a heart, but how does that make it so they all have the ability to time travel? Sora and Riku have both been reduced to just a heart before, but they can't just randomly time travel as they please, they need Yen Sid's magic in order to time travel. I thought that you actually need to be a heart while you're time travelling, because that's what Yen Sid said, but Nomura's making it sound like all you need to do in order to be able to time travel is you have to have been just a heart once in your lifetime. That seems way too OP. Plus, it completely contradicts what Yen Sid said. Since this is the case, it makes me believe that's not really what Nomura's saying here, so is there any other way to interpret what he's saying?

EDIT: After doing some more digging, I found this in the KH Ultimania:

• Discarded his body and became able to travel through time.
  • Traveled back in time to the Destiny Islands and gave Young Xehanort some of his own power.
  • Due to discarding his body and becoming the Robed Figure, all incarnations of Xehanort gained the ability to travel through time. However, the only ones actually able to do so were the Robed Figure and the one he had given his power to, Young Xehanort.

I guess it sort of works like how Keyblades work. Just because you have the ability to wield a Keyblade, doesn't mean you have a Keyblade/doesn't mean you know how to summon a Keyblade.. Similarly, just because you have the ability to time travel, doesn't mean you can time travel/doesn't mean you know how to time travel. And what the game really meant by "the Robed Figure gave Young Xehanort the ability to travel through time" is "the Robed Figure shared some of his powers with Young Xehanort".

So, it all makes sense...I guess? It "makes sense" in a very Kingdom Heartsy kind of way lol

EDIT: Just found this interview with Nomura. What he says he throws me back into confusion:

"Nomura: First off, when Young Xehanort made contact with the Brown Robed Figure, that is to say, the Xehanort who called himself Ansem, his abilities were transferred to him. As a result of Master Xehanort tossing his physical body, he was able to exceed time, and this power was carried into the Brown Robed Figure. Thus when Young Xehanort made contact with him, he gained this power. Possessing this power. Young Xehanort functioned as a “portal”, summoning Xemnas and Ansem each time they appeared. That’s why Young Xehanort was there whenever they appeared. Additionally, when Sora and Riku dropped into the worlds of sleep, simultaneously Young Xehanort himself goes into the world of sleep."

I have no idea what Nomura is saying at this point. I really really really hope this gets cleared up in KH3.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Don't overthink it,

Essentially, the time travel thing is very vague and confusing - probably on purpose, but from what we know, once you've lived an existence of being without a body, you gain the ability to travel across time, and once you gain that ability you can never lose it.

You can travel across time, but a version of yourself has to be at the destination, so in theory once you meet yourself, I suppose this power rubs off on you. Once Young Xehanort begins time traveling he can bob and weave through time using his other selves and the realm of sleep, which exists outside of time, as a sort of intermediary.

Hirokey123

Awards
What is being said there is just like a fancy way of saying that YX is basically driving the proverbial time bus. So let's reimagine DDD a bit to something more clear....

Young Xehanort is driving his time bus and he stops at KH2 times to pick up Xemnas, Xemnas hops on and YX drives to their next destination which is "Prankster's Paradise". He opens the door to let Xemnas get off here to screw with Sora then gets back on the bus and YX drives to the next stop which is "The Grid". Xemnas gets off to torment Sora some more then gets back on the bus and YX drives off to their next location "TWTNW Sora's Dream" where Xemnas gets off and does battle with Sora then is dragged back on before he collapses by YX. Finally YX makes his final stop for the day at "Where Nothing Gathers" and Xemnas gets off for the big meeting of the thirteen darknesses. At the end of all this then YX turns the reins of his time bus over to the universe and it forces them to all get on so it can take them back home, like a bunch of unruly children at the end of a field trip.

Every time Xemnas is getting on the bus he's exiting time and existing in basically time limbo.
Every time Xemnas is getting off the bus YX is summoning him from time limbo using his time powers.

As for the dive thing it basically means when Sora and Riku dived into the sleeping worlds from Destiny Islands YX appeared there and went in after them, which he could do because AnsemSoD was there watching them enter the sleeping worlds that night. From there every time Sora goes to sleep YX dives into sleep and every time Riku goes to sleep YX goes back to the dream world where Sora is.

D

Deleted member 235902

Don't overthink it,

Essentially, the time travel thing is very vague and confusing - probably on purpose, but from what we know, once you've lived an existence of being without a body, you gain the ability to travel across time, and once you gain that ability you can never lose it.

You can travel across time, but a version of yourself has to be at the destination, so in theory once you meet yourself, I suppose this power rubs off on you. Once Young Xehanort begins time traveling he can bob and weave through time using his other selves and the realm of sleep, which exists outside of time, as a sort of intermediary.

I think I see what you're saying. It makes sense, it's just sort of difficult to put into words. Since there needs to be a version of yourself at the destination, Young Xehanort is sort of like a "portal" like Nomura said. Xemnas and Ansem time travel to where Young Xehanort is in the Realm of Sleep.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
God, Chu needs to make a Dream Drop Distance drinking game at this point. Take a shot every single time your brain hurts from confusion, or a villain character says something super vague and foreshadow-y, that oughta kill ya by the end of the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back