• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you think of the newer Resident Evil games?

• Thread starter Deleted member 32967
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 32967

I've not really prepared anything I want to write about specifically, so apologies if this sounds like one big rant. But anyway, part 7 of this series was released back in January; I say 'part 7' but it's not really at all indicative of the amount of games Capcom has been churning out over the past few decades. Most of which haven't been that good by any means. I'm sure lots of people here have played 7 by now, and likely completed it. Whether they did it with or without the new virtual reality headset thing, I have no idea.

But anyway...

I first got into the franchise starting with 2 around 1999 or 2000. The first four games including Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast are the stuff of nightmares. Everyone loved those games back in the day. I'm not exactly sure when I started out with this series, but I just know it was something like early 2000 when I became enamored with the survival horror genre, which I think peaked around that period. My sister let me borrow it, and the rest just followed thereafter. I've always liked creepy horror movies, and I was never a big game guy until I took notice of this series, in particular. Well, I played Nintendo games and stuff in my bedroom before, but I had never really ever sampled any major story based games before, so this was all-new to me at the time, and vastly exciting.

The game still looks great even now, despite being almost 20 years old. It has quality replay value as well. When you end one scenario as Claire, it lets you assume control of Leon, or vice versa. There is tons of stuff to do. It's one of the games that I believe the original PlayStation console was built for. At least I feel that way. Then we got the beautiful remake of the original just a few years later, and sweet mother of God. Does that game still look amazing today? The zombies and other creatures are just so horrifying and realistic looking, and it was a remake done right, because I'm sure we can all agree that in general, many remakes out there are just awful and they deserve to be set on fire. But this one was magnificent. It's kind of sad though, because they didn't quite follow up on this new found momentum. We got the prequel (Resident Evil: Zero) less than half a year later, which was superb too, I guess, but I felt it was kind of lacking in some ways. It's a pretty solid game, don't get me wrong, but many parts just dragged in my opinion.

Then 4 finally came out, and everybody was foaming from their mouths over how cool it was. Capcom kept on changing stuff because they were not impressed with it, but when 4 actually came out, I did truly enjoy it for what it was. It got various 'game of the year' awards in 2005 which were well deserved. But looking back on it now, it just wasn't a real survival horror game. There was no real tension any longer. There was new enemies that behaved like homicidal people, and they were killed with enough guns to rival the likes of Rambo, and the villagers that you dispatched left money on the ground so you could find a weird merchant guy, and sell him treasure. That was just insane and nothing like the older and far better games, where you were afraid of what might have been lurking in the shadows. Resident Evil 4 seemed like a cheesy homage to multiple movies, and it was more like an action game than a horror one, but as far as I can tell, it's when Capcom sold out. At the time though, no-one even really cared at the fact it was not a true horror game, because we had gotten so engrossed in how visually stunning it was. But I must say, it's Resident Evil 4 that is to blame for all the BS those companies put out in later years which have disgraced this genre. Then we got Resident Evil 5 which despite being the best selling game in the series sales-wise, was just a piece of trash overall. 6 was way worse, and I cannot believe how crap that game actually was.

I loved Revelations 2. In my book, this was one of the better prequel type games put out by Capcom in recent memory. While it looks like it's cut from the same cloth as 4, 5 and 6, it's got a great story and I was glad that Capcom gave us a game that still sort of represented a scary story. Some parts were indeed scary and playing as Barry Burton (a minor character from the original game) was excellent, as it was something fans wanted to see for a long time. Better late than never, I suppose.

But 7: Biohazard is not a true sequel, in my eyes. Capcom definitely stole the basic ideas from the unreleased Silent Hills game which also has a first person style camera angle, and now that latter series is probably going to stay dead forever, which is so sad. Again, please take my opinion at face value here. It seems Capcom backed away from making this a stand alone title because you know how people can get cold feet when it comes to using a name that is not instantly recognizable. Even though it's essentially a stand alone title in terms of where it fits into the general timeline, if you think about it, the game could have and should have been labelled something entirely different. However, Capcom slapped the brand name on it to hype it up, as usual. They have always had a bad track record when it comes to milking the hell out of their top titles. Like before downloadable content was a standard practice, they kept on doing ports of the same games, just with a few new chapters and other worthless crap, so people got all excited and then paid top dollar to have a "complete" game because the initial release omitted all that stuff.

Like I said, it's just my opinions on the series as a fan, and I'm sure lots of people are on board with it, and love it so much. I've finished the game. It's been a fun ride, and I'm eagerly awaiting the 'Not A Hero' free update coming when the heck ever, where you allegedly will be playing as Chris Redfield. I'm not buying into this nonsense that he's even the real Chris, but we will see soon enough if it's actually him. He could even turn out to be that Hunk guy, or some other mystery agent we haven't had in any other title up to this point.

So, what do you think? Feel free to agree to disagree, or leave stinging comments justifying why you think I'm wrong, or whatever. Peace!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back