• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you think about Namine / Riku shipping?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Roxas x Namine stopped being a thing after Xion was introduced.

Riku x Namine feels more like another jab to FF15 from Nomura because they look like Noctis x Luna. I'm curious to see how further he will go with this.

Oh, I see the connection now. I hope this doesn't continue beyond KH3. Screw Nomura if he takes a fantastic character like Riku and dumps his XV bitterness onto him.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Luna wasn't a character Nomura made so I don't know why he would be trying to emulate that here?

I was thinking the parallel was more Noctis x Stella instead of Noctis x Luna. Stella was Luna's Versus incarnation.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
By the way, why do we still have spoiler filters here when this is the proclaimed Spoiler section? I don't mind doing such, of course, just confused. :S
latest

Nah, at first not everyone has seen everything, so it's good to have spoilers for those who want to talk stuff, but want to avoid what they don't know yet.

At least...I think that's why we've been doing it. I dunno know now. lol

I suppose we don't need to at this point, but it's become a habit.

I always got the impression Nomura includes Kairi because he's under some sort of obligation to, and gives the barest minimum screentime he can manage, then moves on to what he does care about (which is ice cream!).
Nomura has an obsession with having trios in this series. That's for sure. Too bad he doesn't know how to handle them all.

Ice cream is the best character.

D

Deleted member 246005

I saw the last shot with Riku and Namine as a reference to KH1. It's a call-back to Riku reaching his hand out to Sora in the opening movie.

I didn't see the Noctis X Stella parallel till now. Ironically Namine reminds me more of Luna than Stella but maybe in the next saga, Namine becomes closer to Stella:cool:.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Nomura has an obsession with having trios in this series. That's for sure. Too bad he doesn't know how to handle them all.

Ice cream is the best character.
But wait, there's Mickey and Riku! That's a duo! So he can accept non-threesome friendships!

phoenixmiko

Awards
I prefer Riku with Xion and Roxas with Namine but I could see it if RikuNami became a thing. There is a bit of basis for it as they got to know each other and have interacted. I do not mind the pairing.

Rael_Oblivion

I saw Namiku fics way back during and after CoM, so it's not like this is an all-new pairing? Although back then people probably paired them off just to have a second couple in SoKai fics. I didn't mind it then and I don't mind it now; it makes sense as a pairing. Tbh the Roxas/Namine pairing was the one that came out of left field for me. But I guess that makes me in the minority.

D

Deleted member 246005

My headcanon for Riku was he had an unrequited crush on Kairi before KH1. So him getting with Namine is an interesting quandary for them and dovetails into the theme of Identity.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Ya know thinking about it, it would be pretty cute. I do wish Riku and Namine has gotten more screen time together to interact and develop chemistry. Riku needed that with other people besides Sora and Mickey. I’ve seen cute fan art of Namine looking after a sick Riku. He should have brought Namine with him around in 2 or Mickey could have at least let her stay at Disney Castle to keep her safe. Sora could have met Namine sooner and she could have had some agency when Kairi got nabbed. Heck Queen Minnie And King Mickey could have taken her in as their own child, at least she’d feel loved. Kairi and Namine could have, should have talked more. I find the Sora Riku interactions to be boring and they’re the most frequent. Anyways Riku and Namine, I’d ship it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This franchise needs to pass the Bechdel test.

That will never happen. Bet in whatever KH game comes next, the main girls will solely discuss the men. There is no other reason for them to talk beyond that given how the series is developed. It would be nice if they discussed training or their PTSD or their grief or their sense of purpose/lack of purpose/hopes/dreams/aspirations...I doubt that will happen.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
That will never happen. Bet in whatever KH game comes next, the main girls will solely discuss the men. There is no other reason for them to talk beyond that given how the series is developed. It would be nice if they discussed training or their PTSD or their grief or their sense of purpose/lack of purpose/hopes/dreams/aspirations...I doubt that will happen.
It's kind of already leading to that with X having apparently motivated Lea and Isa.

kaseykockroach

Awards

I'm somewhat kidding. Aqua and Kairi chatted a bit, while Namine and Xion are hanging out at the end.
Kairi is kind of a blank character in that she was only there as obligatory token girl at first, but now that we have female characters that are vastly more of interest than her (even Olette got to be more proactive in this game than her!), they're clearly struggling to pretend they care about her. Even in the "Sora's girlfriend" role, Sora doesn't seem all that into her. He just seems more confused than anything with Kairi makes advances on him with the magical fruit thingy (I can't remember how to spell it). Why does Axel forget Kairi exists once he reunites with Roxas and Xion? Why is no one except Sora devastated by losing her (Riku was pissed at first and then just...got over it)? D&G did a better job comforting him than anyone, and they weren't even there to see what happened to her!
It's like Nomura's not as good as he thinks he is at pretending he cares about Kairi. Which is kind of fine by me as I don't care about her either, but I still sympathize with fans that do care.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
This franchise needs to pass the Bechdel test.
Aqua and Kairi talk to each other about how when Kairi was little, she was rescued by Aqua from Unversed and had a spell put on her.

Boom, it passed. Unless ya'll gonna say it doesn't count because the Unversed were created from an edgy teenaged boy's hormones.

But, yeah, anything can pass the Bechtel Test as long as two women talk to each other about something other than a man at least one time.

It's fun seeing what passes.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
What do I think? It needs a fucking fan club already. Rikine forever.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Ugh, the mention of the Bechdel test and Kairi just rammed the reality into me how Naminè's sole triumphant return is now plagued with shipping nonsense that no one asked for with a guy friend who couldn't even breath her name or think about her the entire game until the person who actually gave a shit reminded him she exists o.o. It's just another strike with Nomura's endless bs. Instead of the attention being on HER, now the attention is whether this random forced shit means anything. I would have rather it be done differently or not at all.

Maybe this wouldn't be so out of left field if there was actual basis of romantic interest through 7+ games, hell, even KH3 itself, but we're left with...this. I mean, call Roxas and Naminè, even Sora and Kairi, whatever you want fam, but at least they were set up in previous titles and weren't forgotten with this one.

And all it did is overshadow the fact that Naminè came back. All that's left is her role being a missable cut scene.

With Sora being Riku's most important and precious person, no matter how it's interpreted...if Riku/Naminè is actually a thing, Naminè will more than likely get the Kairi treatment due to the mere fact of who's handling it all :|.

Nomura is just so much on my shit list that I think he'll decay there until his questionable decisions can justify otherwise.

And I can't even be happy about Larxene either because now we have her entire motivation and goal possibly being because of Marluxia.

giphy.gif

Good gawd, it befuddles me how anyone can be okay with this.

silentmusic16

Unlike what some people want to believe. The Japanese line from Sora emphasized that Roxas was the most or second most to miss her, and she's important to him enough that once he spotted the Old Mansion's window where her room was, he stood transfixed gazing at it through Sora. He even flashed over him for a few seconds.

Considering the build up from the previous main entry and that Girl of My Dreams trope that popped up in Days, I just don't understand Nomura and his implications. If he didn't add any of the above for this game, it would have been fine I think.

Do you have a link to the Japanese scene with that "missed the most" quote? I'd love to see if that's true.

As for that window-gazing scene, I felt the same - it felt like, at the very least, Nomura hadn't forgotten what he seemed to have been setting up in II between the two of them. But then, I thought, throughout the game, that we'd get more on SoKai too, considering what seemed to be building, and then it was ignored through 90% of the game and still not given an actual conclusion in the end.

It feels like Nomura either A) doesn't know what he wants to do with any ship even though he's setting a number of romances up, B) is saving things for future releases, but ignoring what we have right now, C) is confused in his feelings on trios and romances or D) something of all of the above.

Back