• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► What are your favourite Disney canon animated films? And why?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Exin

Awards
Here are the Disney animated features up to date:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1938)
Pinocchio (1940)
Fantasia (1941)
Dumbo (1942)
Bambi (1942)
Saludos Amigos (1943)
The Three Caballeros (1945)
Make Mine Music (1946)
Fun and Fancy Free (1948)
Melody Time (1948)
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
Cinderella (1950)
Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Peter Pan (1953)
Lady and the Tramp (1955)
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
The Sword in the Stone (1963)
The Jungle Book (1968)
The Aristocats (1971)
Robin Hood (1974)
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
The Rescuers (1977)
The Fox and the Hound (1981)
The Black Cauldron (1985)
Basil the Great Mouse Detective (1986)
Oliver & Company (1989)
The Little Mermaid (1990)
The Rescuers Down Under (1991)
Beauty and the Beast (1992)
Aladdin (1993)
The Lion King (1994)
Pocahontas (1995)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Hercules (1997)
Mulan (1998)
Tarzan (1999)
Fantasia 2000 (1999)
Dinosaur (2000)
The Emperor's New Groove (2001)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
Lilo & Stitch (2002)
Treasure Planet (2003)
Brother Bear (2003)
Home on the Range (2004)
Chicken Little (2006)
The Wild (2006)
Meet the Robinsons (2007)
Bolt (2009)
The Princess and the Frog (2010)
Tangled (2011)
Winnie the Pooh (2011)
Wreck-It Ralph (2013)
Frozen (2013)
Big Hero 6 (2015)
Zootropolis (2016)

What's your favourite? And why? Please post your favourite animated film(s) and reasons why you consider it such. Thank you.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
My top 10

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Lion King
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4. Peter Pan
5. Wreck-It Ralph
6. The Little Mermaid
7. Aladdin
8. Tangled
9. Lilo & Stitch
10. Tarzan

Honorable mentions to Mulan, Zootopia, Frozen, Sleeping Beauty and Treasure Planet

Beauty and the Beast just really gave me the feels and continues to every time I watch it. The character development, storytelling, ballroom sequence, and emotion at end get me every time.

Last edited:

Master Exin

Awards
My top 10

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Lion King
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4. Peter Pan
5. Wreck-It Ralph
6. The Little Mermaid
7. Aladdin
8. Tangled
9. Lilo and Stitch
10. Tarzan

Honorable mentions to Mulan, Zootopia, Frozen, Sleeping Beauty and Treasure Planet

Beauty and the Beast just really gave me the feels and continues to every time I watch it. The character development, storytelling, ballroom sequence, and emotion at end get me every time.

Pretty good list these, mate. I actually enjoyed Beauty and the Beast, and now I regret missing the chance to see it in 3D.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
hercules
mulan
wreck it ralph
beauty and the beast
tarzan
hunchback of notre dam
big hero six

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I'll try my hand at ranking these, although my opinion may change later as I continue to rematch many of them.

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Lilo and Stitch
3. The Lion King
4. Peter Pan
5. Zootopia
6. Mulan
7. Hercules
8. Aladdin
9. Big Hero 6
10.Tangled

That was harder than I thought,many I'm unsure how definitive it is for me. The top 3 are my favorites for sure, but due to the quality of Disney movies, I found it tough to really pick through them all. Honorable mentions go to Frozen, Lady and the Tramp, Tarzan, and the Little Mermaid. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are great as well, and while I thoroughly enjoy them, I don't quite have a love for them like I do for the rest of these movies. Maybe because they're so princess-y? I'm not quite sure.

Overall, though, I feel like Disney rarely has any major misses as far as movies go. There's only a select few that I do not like whatsoever.

Side note: Mulan was the first movie I've ever seen. Dad had to take me out of the theater while my mom stayed to watch.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Sword in the Stone
3. Hercules
4. Pinocchio
5. One Hundred and One Dalmatians
6. Cinderella
7. Mulan
8. The Princess and the Frog
9. Frozen
10. The Lion King
Honorable mentions: Beauty and the Beast, Lady and the Tramp, Treasure Planet, Aladdin, The Great Mouse Detective

Outside of some of the films released in the '00s-now, I like most Disney films. TLM will always be number 1 though. Music, voice acting, main characters, story are all phenomenal. Ursula <3

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I changed many top 5 Disney lists from time to time. Less likely I'll keep this one xD

1. Beauty and The Beast
2. Tarzan
3. Aladdin
4. Zootopia
5. The Lion King

shady543

Awards
Top ten not in order:

1. The Lion King
2. Mulan
3. Treasure Planet
4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. Zootopia
6. The Aristocats
7. The Fox and the Hound
8. The Little Mermaid
9. Big Hero Six
10. Lilo and Stitch

in other words a lot of my favourites are the ones everyone ether hates or ignore lmao.

Honorable mentions go to Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Black Cauldron, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Tarzan and Robin Hood.

Master Exin

Awards
Top ten not in order:

1. The Lion King
2. Mulan
3. Treasure Planet
4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
5. Zootopia
6. The Aristocats
7. The Fox and the Hound
8. The Little Mermaid
9. Big Hero Six
10. Lilo and Stitch

in other words a lot of my favourites are the ones everyone ether hates or ignore lmao.

Honorable mentions go to Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Black Cauldron, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, Tarzan and Robin Hood.

Good list, but also type down your reasons why such films would make your list.

I changed many top 5 Disney lists from time to time. Less likely I'll keep this one xD

1. Beauty and The Beast
2. Tarzan
3. Aladdin
4. Zootopia
5. The Lion King

Fair enough.

1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Sword in the Stone
3. Hercules
4. Pinocchio
5. One Hundred and One Dalmatians
6. Cinderella
7. Mulan
8. The Princess and the Frog
9. Frozen
10. The Lion King
Honorable mentions: Beauty and the Beast, Lady and the Tramp, Treasure Planet, Aladdin, The Great Mouse Detective

Outside of some of the films released in the '00s-now, I like most Disney films. TLM will always be number 1 though. Music, voice acting, main characters, story are all phenomenal. Ursula <3

Good list, but also type down your reasons why such films would make your list.

I'll try my hand at ranking these, although my opinion may change later as I continue to rematch many of them.

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. Lilo and Stitch
3. The Lion King
4. Peter Pan
5. Zootopia
6. Mulan
7. Hercules
8. Aladdin
9. Big Hero 6
10.Tangled

That was harder than I thought,many I'm unsure how definitive it is for me. The top 3 are my favorites for sure, but due to the quality of Disney movies, I found it tough to really pick through them all. Honorable mentions go to Frozen, Lady and the Tramp, Tarzan, and the Little Mermaid. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are great as well, and while I thoroughly enjoy them, I don't quite have a love for them like I do for the rest of these movies. Maybe because they're so princess-y? I'm not quite sure.

Overall, though, I feel like Disney rarely has any major misses as far as movies go. There's only a select few that I do not like whatsoever.

Side note: Mulan was the first movie I've ever seen. Dad had to take me out of the theater while my mom stayed to watch.

Good list, but also type down your reasons why such films would make your list. Wait, your dad took you out of the cinema? Why?

hercules
mulan
wreck it ralph
beauty and the beast
tarzan
hunchback of notre dam
big hero six

I advise you type down your reasons why such films would make your list.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
My list hasn't changed much over the years...

1. The Lion King - easily one of my favorite film (animated or not). It was that good and it has aged well. The story while not original has all the components for greatness. Jeremy Irons as Scar is one of the greatest antagonist of all time. The music by Tim Rice and Elton John is magical, and the All-Star Cast was just that, All-Star.
2. Aladdin
3. Zootopia
4. Fox and the Hound
5. Beauty and the beast
6. Fantasia
7. Mulan
8. Big Hero 6
9. The Rescuers Down Under
10. Frozen (The music made this movie for me.)

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
1. Mulan, 2. Mulan, 3. Mulan.

Okay, kidding (BUT I REALLY LOVE MULAN).

1. Mulan
Simply because I love how this story is "the other way around". Mulan is not the damsel in distress or some kind of princess. SHE is the one who keeps her family safe, even risking her own life if anyone notices that she disguises herself, only to save her father. I absolutely love Mulan as a character and the movie rocks, too.

2. Hercules
It's kind of my "childhood disney movie". I watched Hercules like a million times. I love the songs, I love the story, I even accept the fact that an author I really cannot stand voiced Hercules in the german version of it.

3. Kind of split between The Little Mermaid and The Lion King. I kind of like both equally. They also had some of the best german disney songs of all movies.

4. Tarzan because. Phil Collins singing german alone is enough to kill me with feels. I neeeeeed to listen to that now!

5. Big Hero 6, probably, just because I LOVE BAYMAX. I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOVE BAYMAX.

Venx

1. Fox & the hound ( I don't know...the whole atmossphere and fight at the end, when they both help each other always gets me.)

2. The lion King (Amazing Villain, amazing music, great story and the only thing I could complain about is pumbaas part in hakuna
matata.)

3. Mulan (I love Shan yu and how he's just straight evil. To be honest, the english one wouldn't be in my top 5, but the german voice of mushu made this movie so amazing for me...I mean the rest is great, too but Mushu's killing it.)

4. Bambi (1 Word: Music. I love how the whole movie is about the music, I don't really care about much of the story. The thing I care about is the amazing storytelling in winter, when Bambi loses his mother. It's simply brilliant, especially for the time it came out.)

5. The jungle book (I don't think there is one character I don't like. The songs are great, the movie knows where it wants to go and the look is amazing. I talk about looks, because this is one of the movies you should never remake in real time. Never. Ever.)

It would take me to long to make up a top 10 list, but stuff like Robin Hood, hunchback of notre dame & beauty and the beast would be in there. Especially Beauty and the beast, because I love how the beast is screaming at belle the whole time.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I read this threadt title at first as "Where are your favourite Disney canon animated films?" and I thought this was gonna be a "Where are they now?" kind of thread and I was so confused.

Evidently, this was not the case. So I'll just list my top 6, since honestly my list can go pretty long but I'll limit it for now:

1. Lilo & Stitch
-This film is probably my favorite Disney film just because of the subject matter it deals with, and also a partial bit of nostalgia becaue I grew up with this series. Lilo and Nani's relationship is well done and strong, and their interactions border on either being sweet, funny, or cringing because of how awkward/horrible something went. I also really love Stitch's interactions with them, as well as his own development he goes through. Lilo's story itself that she tells Stitch before he leaves is one of the most heartbreaking moments in a Disney film, imo. The alien parts are cool too, and sometimes very lolsy, but for the most part, what always worked for me was the Lilo, Nani & Stitch parts. Plus, the soundtrack tho.

2. The Princess & the Frog
-This film is my second favorite for a lot of reasons, and really surprised me when I saw it, because I was expecting it really like the movie, but not nearly as much as I did. Tiana is one of the most well-developed female characters from Disney, and all her motivations and character qualities are relatable, especially since she is doing everything in her power to make her dream come true. Naveen is actually one of my favorite parts as well, which is odd since I tend to be meh about the love interests. But Naveen himself is an interesting character and very flawed but goes through his own development. Ray and Louis are amazing "Side" characters (though I consider them mains since they're in practically the entire film) and I love how they help the heroes along in their journey and even go through some of their own character development, granted to a much smaller extent. Dr. Facilier is one of the most badass Disney villains ever, and I love how menacing he is, as well as how good of a manipulator he is. On one hand, I'm sad it takes pretty much until the climax for him and Tiana to interact, but their scene together is one of the best parts about the film as well. Oh, and Charlotte is one of the best best friends I have ever seen in a Disney film. She wants to help Tiana's dream come true just as much as her own, and she clearly goes out of her way to make sure her best friend is happy.

3. Mulan
-This film, along with Hercules, are probably the first two Disney films I have the most vivid memory of seeing when I was a kid, so I guess nostalgia plays a tiny bit of a factor here, but not as much since a bunch of nostalgia titles didn't even make the list. I think as I grew older, I grew to love this movie more, be it from the social class challenges it presents for Mulan as a female in this society, the way Mulan is willing to endanger her own life and possibly be killed just to save her father and protect her family's honor, and the way she interacts not only with the comedy trio, but with Shang and the Emperor. Overall, Mulan is one of my favorite characters ever, and I love her personality. I guess I'd say she's the Lightning Farron of the Disney films, if only because they both share the rep of having "no personalities/emotions" from the fanbase of each character's source material, which is evidently highly inaccurate, but also just goes to show that some people automatically think reserved characters = non-developed character. The songs are also amazing, and Make a Man Out of You is just one of the best character development songs I have seen in a Disney movie. Mulan's transformation scene is just so well done, down to the music in it to the imagery and symbolism it keeps using, and the fact that the reason Mushu couldn't wake up the dragon spirit is because it was already awakened and was in Mulan from the very moment that scene started.

4. Hercules
-This is partially motivated by nostalgia, but mostly motivated by the fact that I love Greek mythology (even if the film kind of screws that up majorly), and the fact that this is one of the few Disney films with a male lead who is actually well-developed. Hercules is one of my favorite Disney film characters, and honestly, a pretty perfect example of how you could develop Clark Kent/Superman in a film seeing as how the film is clearly inspired by Clark which is ironic since the Hercules mythology helped inspire Superman. Meg is also one of my favorite Disney female characters, as well as one of my favorite "accessories to a villain," since she clearly doesn't want to hurt Hercules, and when she realizes things are getting too extreme, she goes to warn him and save him, and does everything in her power, even when he wants nothing to do with her anymore. Hades is one of my favorite villains because he's so sarcastic and sassy (is as everyone in this film) and charismatic, and honestly, I don't really hate him as a person nearly as much as other villains. He's a terrible person, but even then, he's such a fun villain that I forget sometimes how awful he is. Phil and Pegasus are also some of the best side characters I have seen in a Disney film, especially Phil. This movie also has a Disney soundtrack I can listen to even without the context of the film - I just love it.

5. Big Hero 6
-I was really surprised by this film. I went in hoping it would be fun, and was not expecting any of the emotion rollercoasters I went through since I only saw commercials for the film, and never trailers. I saw Tadashi getting killed off, but that didn't make it hurt any less, especially since they built up his relationship with Hiro so well. Tadashi's friends were also a great touch, and I was so glad they were main characters as well, because they each were so unique and had their own flair, and I loved the fact that this was probably one of the few Disney films with such a diverse cast. Baymax is also adorbs as hell, and easily understandable to why he was marketed so much. But if there's something about this film that really gets to me, it's Hiro's development. Even before Tadashi dies, he borders on dabbling in things that are sort of frowned upon, but as the film goes on, we see Hiro dealing more and more with his personal darkness, and then we see it fully unleashed in the Destroy Him scene, which is, in my opinion, the BEST scene from this movie. The music, the colors, the way Baymax doesn't just force his way through Hiro's friends but actually thrashes and beats them. The entirety of this movie was surprising and amazing and I really loved just how character driven it was.

6. Zootopia
-This is a very recent addition for me, evidently, but after seeing this film, I just could not stop thinking about it because of all the different things it tackles in this movie. Judy Hopps is one of the best developed characters in this film, as is Nick Wilde. I didn't really know what to expect from this film because the only thing I had seen for it was the Sloth scene they showed before practically every movie I saw. This movie tackles discrimination in such an amazing way, and something I honestly didn't really expect Disney to do in such a way because it's not like it's in your face, but it's not the kind of subtle you can ignore - it is clearly showing how awful discrimination is and how it can affect a person, and the way that it can be heavily engrained in people and how much you can play up fear on people's misunderstandings. I'd say this is pretty much the X-Men of Disney films just because of how well it deals with that. That being said, the characters were all wonderful, the score was great, the animation was phenomenal, and the plot itself I really expected to end after they uncovered what was happening to the predators in Zootopia, but it didn't and it kept going and it did surprise me, especially with that betrayal which I should have seen coming but I didn't. Also, Judy's apology scene is one of the best things in this film.

Honorary mentions go to Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, Frozen, the Lion King, The Sword in the Stone, Beauty & the Beast, Brother Bear, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
To keep this topic relevant, my favourite Disney Animated short is Paperman: I'm a sucker for a good romantic movie. I really hope that the Meander style is used for Gigantic.

ImVentus

Awards
My Top 11

1. Includes both Tarzan & The Lion King I can't choose if I like the other one better
2. Big Hero 6.
This was the movie that really brought me back to Disney after they had released modern fairy tales that I liked and enjoyed but I missed the heart of two characters and a deep bond. With Big Hero 6 I found that charming heart and friendship in Baymax & Hiro but also in Tadashi & Hiro's brotherly love. The movie really made itself special to me thanks to the amount of heart that was focused in the movie.
3. Mulan
4. The Jungle Book
5. Dumbo
6. The Fox & The Hound
7. Aladdin
8. Zootopia
9. Meet The Robinsons
10. The Little Mermaid
11. Brother Bear

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I've been, and still am, going back through a lot of old Disney movies as of late, and my opinions have changed as I've watched the films again. I figured I'd give this old thread a bump and see if anyone else's opinions have changed, too. My top 10 Disney movies, in order, are:

1. Moana
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. The Lion King
4. Lilo and Stitch
5. Hercules
6. Peter Pan
7. Tangled
8. Zootpia
9. Mulan
10. The Little Mermaid

Never would I have thought I would have seen the day when Beauty and the Beast wasn't my favorite Disney film, but here I am. I've let my thoughts settle for a couple of days after seeing Moana before posting, but days later I am yearning to see it again. It is the perfect of example of how far Disney has come and what they can do as filmmakers. The film broke many Disney movie stereotypes and cliches, all the while delivering a moving, authentic soundtrack and absolutely gorgeous visuals. I will always have a soft spot for Beauty and the Beast, but I simply am overcome with just how much I enjoyed Moana.

Additionally, my top three Walt Disney Animation Studios shorts are:
1. Inner Workings
2. Paperman
3. Get a Horse!

Muke

whatever
Awards
My Top 3:

- The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
- Tangled
- Zootopia

Rix

:)
Awards
My top ten:
1. The Lion King
2. Beauty and the beast
3. Pinocchio
4. The little mermaid
5. Mulan
6. Aladdin
7. Tangled
8. Wreck-it-Ralph
9. Cinderella
10. Robin Hood

It's not essy to just pick out a few movies since there are so many Disney movies I love and have fond memories of.

Malla

I recently started project of re-watching whole Disney canon with my son (one movie per week) and Snow White & Seven Dwarves remains my #1 favorite. It's perfect. Hand-drawn animation is so charming. And newer Disney films tend to go overboard with action scenes, but Snow White has just a couple (very short hunter scene in beginning and the climax on mountain in the end). And that's enough. Instead of action scenes, the slapstick and excitement are present in absolutely beautiful musical scenes. I could watch the cleaning scene and dwarven party scene over and over again. My son's favorite so far is Dumbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back