• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What are some of the worse aspects in the KH series.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAuronSavior

What do you believe are some of the flaws that all the games in the series pertain to? For me, it would be the lack of cohesion in the plot and how convoluted and all over the place it is. Also,( gameplay wise ) in games after KH2, the removal of equipment really bothered me due to the fact that I would have to probably grind to get my stats up and ( in the case of DDD and BBS ) abilities have to be unlocked in the most inconvenient way.

h.e.hassanein

Dialogue. For years I've played these games because I love the characters, the story- all of it. But in some games more than others the dialogue can get cringe-worthy and a little minimal. Strong, lasting bonds are formed between characters that hardly talk to each other. I get that the game isn't supposed to be too text-heavy....I feel like the games don't follow the 'show don't tell' rule. Characters say how they feel instead of experiencing those emotions, and a huge example of this was BbS with the three supposedly best friends.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
For me it is empty worlds. The lack of NPCs can be really distracting. Take for example city of bells were Esmerelda was the only gypsy in the gypsy hideout.

Last edited:

h.e.hassanein

For me it is empty worlds. The lack of NPCs can be really distracting. Take for example city of bells were Esmerelda was the only gypsy in thengypsy hideout.

tumblr_n05c26bA7g1sxrwepo1_500.jpg

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
- emptiness of worlds
- dialogue
- janky and floaty game mechanics

Kaweebo

Awards
The Rule of Cool taken to the extreme.

Follow this with me. The main cast make it up to the top of Xemnas's stronghold, a giant castle that has floating weird platforms for no reason, giant rooms that nobody even needs to visit since every member of the Organization can just teleport and it's situated high above a giant canyon for no reason in a city that is completely devoid of life and we have no idea what or how or why about anything. So, the cast makes it to Xemnas, who 'enters' Kingdom Hearts and disappears.

Then, 'the worlds' themselves open a doorway for the heroes to enter which leads them into some bizarro version of the Dark City that Xemnas controls for some reason, where he stands atop some giant structure that's completely separate from the Castle that they blow up somehow. Action ensues. At one point, they're all teleported onto some giant dragon thing that I guess is supposed to be the castle and Xemnas is wearing huge armor. Xemnas gets defeated and everybody is transported back to the top of...the castle...as if none of that just happened. Maybe it was just an illusion from being inside of the false Kingdom Hearts that Xemnas constructed, idk

Then everybody leaves except Sora and Riku, who then tumble over onto a speeder bike that just exists now as the castle the...turns into another giant dragon thing. They blow it up and do the exact same fight against Xemnas in his stupid armor and then get transported to the realm of Nothingness...I guess? Where Xemnas is now sporting a coat that would make even Cruella deVille blush. And then he's beaten and they make it to the realm of darkness.

AND THEN, everything is returned to normal in Dream Drop Distance! The castle is the same, nothing seems damaged and we are assured that that is the real world and not a dream. I can forgive a lot but this seriously pushes my limits on what I can swallow. Granted, this is mostly only a problem in KHII as every other game in the series seems to have some sort of explanation for why things are happening the way they are, but still.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
^ Well... when it comes to Rule of Cool to the point of absurdity, it's go big or go home. That entire sequence was pretty over-the-top, but it's also pretty memorable.

Least favorite... ummm... minigames. That's really the only aspect that I really dislike that shows up in more than just one specific game.
Oh! And final bosses that make you use a different set of controls out of nowhere. Ansem's Gutship and Xemnas' Blue Eyes White Dragon can go straight to hell.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
It's hilarious* in Re:Com where the two Marluxia final boss fights basically require two different strategies/decks in order to win and you can't change mid way through

*(it's not actually very funny)

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I feel that the first KH was kind of an exception if you look at worlds like Traverse Town or Wonderland.

KH1 wasn’t great either with NPCs, it just looks better in comparison to everything after (especially KH2 and BbS, where both games would deliberately draw attention to the emptiness). It might also be that there was more story reason for places to be empty because the Heartless felt like a real threat in the first game.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
osprey is completely right about minigames. i fucking hate them all.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
This is something that not only affects Kingdom Hearts, but MANY Japanese games.

Awkward pacing/cringey pauses in cutscenes. Every Japanese game, anime, whatever suffers from this at one time or another whether it is in the Japanese dub or the English dub (although the English dub could usually be worse in this regard). You know what I'm talking about, when those cutscenes happen and a character says a dialogue and it is clear they are supposed to get an immediate response but instead there's an awkward short pause before the other character says their piece. Or when characters say a line and it is clear they are meant to be interrupted and so their sentence ends abruptly, but then it still takes a second or two for the other character to speak.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
100-acre wood.
I know it's my own fault that I'm such a trophy hunter but DEAR GOODNESS, Re:Com made me HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE Pooh bear SO MUCH. I just hate mini games like the "sort-vegetables"-shit which would be super easy but then there's Pooh getting in your way on purpose. I. HATE. IT.

I'm also not a big fan of the empty world and the senseless reasons why you can't go to some places.
"Oh no, it's to early to report to the master."
"Oh, there's nothing back here to see."
Damn, at least take the time to block the way or anything.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
"Oh no, it's to early to report to the master."

I just re-experienced this "gem" again on BBS FM in my Terra playthrough.
Y'know, I just fuckin' learned where the Unversed come from and who's responsible for spreading them.

Idk I would think that this is some significant information that would be logical to report to the Master.

Plays directly into the "worse" aspects of the series with the fact that logic and common sense is thrown out of the window when the plot demands for a certain thing to happen.
Forced "Plot-induced stupidity" is certainly one of the worse aspects of the whole series.

Smithee

Awards
Nomura's retcon addiction, as well as too many Informed Attribute moments (e.g.: We're told that Light and Darkness don't necessarily equate to good and evil, but then we're shown Light vs. Darkness constantly equating to good vs. evil anyway).

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Nomura's retcon addiction, as well as too many Informed Attribute moments (e.g.: We're told that Light and Darkness don't necessarily equate to good and evil, but then we're shown Light vs. Darkness constantly equating to good vs. evil anyway).

That sounds like a double standard, which the Kingdom Hearts franchise seems to be full of.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That sounds like a double standard, which the Kingdom Hearts franchise seems to be full of.

Double standards such as?

The whole Light vs Dark-issue is often misinterpreted and/or tweaked to sound more appealing for Darkness fanboys/-girls in the context of the series' lore anyways, including the clamoring for "evil light" examples in order to make Darkness look better, which is ironically exactly what Xehanort himself also does with his ridiculous blabbering of a "tyranny of light".

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Nah, it's not. Darkness is dangerous, yes, but it's no more "evil" or "good" than fire or radiation. Yeah, it will harm or even kill you, and it's used by power-hungry megalomaniacs to get ends met, but that doesn't make darkness itself evil; that quality's on the bad guys.

Light's usually thought of as "good" because it generally doesn't devour and destroy everything nearly as easily as the darkness, and has been able to inhibit darkness' corrosive nature. People generally favor a force that allows them to keep living, after all.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Nah, it's not. Darkness is dangerous, yes, but it's no more "evil" or "good" than fire or radiation. Yeah, it will harm or even kill you, and it's used by power-hungry megalomaniacs to get ends met, but that doesn't make darkness itself evil; that quality's on the bad guys.

Light's usually thought of as "good" because it generally doesn't devour and destroy everything nearly as easily as the darkness, and has been able to inhibit darkness' corrosive nature. People generally favor a force that allows them to keep living, after all.

That's a pretty decent and down to the point explanation for it.
People really seem to get way too much hung up about the "good and evil" aspect when the actual aspect to look out for is the level of danger coming from these elements and on that front Darkness has been proven to be the more dangerous of them more than just once and except lunatics like Xehanort no one in-universe actually argues otherwise.

It's like getting to choose between a highly volatile bottle of nitroglycerine and one of comparably stable milk for example.

It is also funny how often Riku then gets brought up as an example when even he, while accepting Darkness, does not overly embrace it and goes all "Darkness is cool"-bullshit over it.
Heck, DDD's dialogue outright makes Riku denounce the Darkness, only taking it on to return it to light.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
guns aren't evil; they're just used by evil people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back