• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Are Some Of The Changes You'd Make To Your Favourite Games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
We all have our favourite games and the games that spoke to us the most, but no game is really perfect. What are some of the changes you'd make / what would you have done differently when it comes to some of your favourite games and why? How would these changes better the work?

I'll start with Persona 5. Now, it's not really my favourite game or even close to it, but it is a very well made game in a lot of ways and yet it just kinda fell flat for me. One of the biggest things to me was how inconsistent it used its theme and central premise and the sorts of characters it chose to embody it. The whole game is about society's outcasts and people who are oppressed trying to break free from that oppression and change society. And yet the types of characters it chose to stand for that concept left a lot to be desired. For instance, the game's total lack of queer characters in its central cast is nothing but a blight in my opinion and it kind of just illustrates how the game's central theme is shallow in its execution when some of the most oppressed peoples in society are nearly completely excluded. What makes it even worse is that the only queer characters that are in the game are stereotypes used for homophobic and gay panic jokes. It just came across as incredibly tone deaf for me and sullied the experience.

Similarly, the game doesn't have a consistent message or stance on pretty much anything. The game will open with a very serious tale about sexual assault/harassment and so on (though how well it handled it is very debatable), but it's seen as this awful horrible thing. And then the very next chapter of the game has one of the victims of the first chapter being sexually harassed again, except this time it is played completely for laughs and a lot of it comes from her teammates and future teammates. It's like the game wants to have its cake and eat it, too, and it just made for muddled message that brought the whole game down for me.

That's one of the things I'd change for the game. But what about you? What are some of things you'd change in your favourite games? Would they be story/message focused like mine was, or maybe it's a problem more relegated to the gameplay? And how do you think this change would've made the game even better for you?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Yeah, lately I've been thinking that there really should have been a gay romantic option in Persona 5, and better representation there too. But I can say that about almost all of my favorite games

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Yeah, lately I've been thinking that there really should have been a gay romantic option in Persona 5, and better representation there too. But I can say that about almost all of my favorite games
aside from queer rep, what are some other ways you'd change your favourite titles?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Persona has just gone downhill in terms of LGBT representation.

Persona 2 has a bisexual protagonist, leaning towards boys. When asked to pick your love interest, choosing the boy is clearly treated as canon whereas choosing any girl is the joke option (it's usually the other way around).

So far so good. But...

Persona 3 features transphobic undertones.

Persona 4 features someone whose struggles are made to resemble those of someone coming to terms with not being heterosexual. He is attracted to someone whom he thinks is a boy, but as soon as it's revealed it's actually a girl he's relieved and back into the heteronormative camp he goes. Such a cop-out by the writers.

Persona 5 has over the top flamboyant but also predatory gay men.

As for the changes I'd like to make to my one of my favourite games? Revamp the entire materia system in Final Fantasy VII. It badly needs its own "Zodiac Job System", to avoid ending up making everyone equally good at everything since everyone can equip the same materia.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Poke'mon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow has a shit load of problems beneath the surface.

1. Psychics are unfairly overpowered since the few bug & ghost type moves in the game lacked the base power to put much of a dent in them Plus many of the bugs & all of the ghosts are half-poison so psychics have a type advantage anyway.

2. On a related note, there only being a single evolutionary line of ghost-types & dragon types. You'd think with 150 pokemon & 15 types there'd be at least 10 mons per type but you'd be wrong.

3. The one & only dragon type move in the whole game does an exact set amount of damage, rendering the detail of dragons being super effective against other dragons completely meaningless.

4. Glitched moves (Focus Energy), exploitable moves (Wrap), moves that shouldn't have been normal type (Gust), moves that are just plain useless (Roar).

5. Female protag was planned but not executed until Crystal.

It took multiple generations for the series to eventually fix the 1st game's mess. G/S/C did most of the obvious rebalancing but it still only added a single new ghost so it wasn't until like Gen 3 at the earliest that it felt like we had proper variety in that department.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I would give Shana/Miranda additions in The Legend of Dragoon. They are literally the only two characters in the game not to have them, and because of that I pretty much never used them. My first playthrough on PS1 I only used a main party of 3 anyway, but on a subsequent playthrough on my Vita I've been tampering with everyone and enjoying it... Everyone except for them. They don't get to enjoy the greatest part of that game's battle system, and it's a shame.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Considering this is a Kingdom Hearts forum, I think it's safe to assume KH is still one of my favorite games series. So let's start with that.

Kingdom Hearts:
Gameplay - I'd change the combo system and combat to be similar to KH1/2. KH2 had a nice combat system with staggering/stunning and revenge values. After replaying KH2 in the PS4 collection, I realized how great that combat felt and how every game after it just felt... flat in terms of combat.
Story - Coded's plot is horribly to the point I fell asleep twice trying to watch the movie version of it. Coded's plot can be explained as exposition at the beginning of DDD or something. "Save the people connected to Sora. Maleficent wants a Book of Prophecies." Done.

Assassin's Creed:
Gameplay - Less open world collectables. I mean, the map is insanely cluttered these days. At least have the collectables do something better than give me something I won't use. Maybe an extra ability, or double carry capacity or something.
Story - Unpopular opinion, bring back Modern Day gameplay. I wanna be somebody relevant, not Faceless McNameless guy who watches cutscenes of things happening. I want to feel invested in the modern story again. Also, stop dicking around the overall plot. The last few games haven't advanced the plot much since AC3.

Mass Effect:
Just... just don't give up on Mass Effect yet. Please.

Dragon's Dogma:
More please.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Faceless McNameless

I laughed for 3 minutes straight =)))))

Why is the first thing that comes to my mind making Altair capable of swimming
the rest is blank. there's only the wish to make Altair swim
that land-bird... smh. #thingsyounevergetover

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Persona 5 - Don't let it end. Please.
Give me more. I need more heists. I need more moments to love and cherish.

tF1uNHJ.gif

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Radiata Stories: Let me get the Arbitrator AND The Divine Coat. It's always eaten away at me that Jack can only have one and not the other based on your choices even though he had both on the cover of the game.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Ponyta, Rapidash, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Zoruoa and Zoroark should have been part Fairy type when the typing was introduced for Pokemon X and Y. And Eevee should have had a Dragon type Eeveelution for Pokemon Sun and Moon.

D

Deleted member 246005

Prince of Persia 2008- the gameplay was considered too easy compared to the sands of time trilogy so i'd improve the gameplay. I'd probably give it a subtitle so people can respond to it easier.
Prince of Persia classic- The prince refers to himself as Aladdin so i would like to do an adaptation of the Aladdin Fairytale. I'd probably give each prince their own twisted fairytale motif since Arabian Knights was a huge influence on the original game.
Prince of Persia Sands of Time- I'd want to do a crossover game between him and the other princes.

DmC:Devil May Cry- I'd pushed the debut of the teaser trailer from TGS10 to TGS11. I'd probably include a shot of classic Dante in the teaser trailer just so you get the sense that TGS10 Dante will eventually grow into Classic Dante. The game's story would probably changed to fit the idea that Dante returns to Limbo City to fix a problem in his past.
DMC4- I'd probably just make Nero dante's son who goes to look for him and finds Lucia instead. Nero needs his help with a problem he can't handle and Lucia tags along because she's curious about dante's life.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Prince of Persia 2008- the gameplay was considered too easy compared to the sands of time trilogy so i'd improve the gameplay. I'd probably give it a subtitle so people can respond to it easier.

I think the design choice was made because most players apparently would reset the game if they lost.
Which, I'd actually say I wouldn't. Some challenge would have been good.

What I will say though is that I actually really loved that iteration of the game. It was incredibly beautiful, and I certainly wish we got to see more of it.

Zapt

Awards
Vanitas (Get it? My title is "Unversed" So...)
Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy-Make Coco playabe in ALL levels including bosses.
Persona 3 Portable-turn the game into a proper persona game and not a visual novel.
Persona 4 and 5-Put female MC rotes cuz.....why not?
Persona 5 - Don't let it end. Please.
Give me more. I need more heists. I need more moments to love and cherish.

tF1uNHJ.gif

I'm sure there will be a Persona 5 Crimson so yay!

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Star Fox 64: wingmen help each other out instead of relying on Fox.

Pokemon Sun/Moon: Misty is Red's girlfriend.

Person 4/5: Female player option, why they'd drop that after P3P is beyond.

WWF No Mercy: Fix "The Glitch", allow movesets to be editable, & bring back the mask editor from VPW2 (why are masks the only clothing item that your can't change the color of in this game?)

SSB Brawl: Removal of tripping & add options for 1v1 online matches.

Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga: level based on Palpatine's duels with Windu & Yoda. Palpatine himself would be the playable character, alongside Anakin & a royal guardsman while Mace & Yoda are bosses.

Mass Effect Trilogy: Male/female models for all races from the get-go. & less dicking around with what Quarians look like, that tron mission in ME3 was so stupid. Andromeda should've had the option to play a different race in Story Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back