• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What 5 FF games are "overrated?"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Phew. I can't really name many here. Most games I don't like much (especially FF II and VIII) aren't actually popular anyways.
In comparison to some other titles, I think I find FF VII overrated. It's not a bad game or anything, I just don't think it surpasses games like FF VI or IX much, yet sooo many more people know and love FF VII. :s

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Phew. I can't really name many here. Most games I don't like much (especially FF II and VIII) aren't actually popular anyways.
In comparison to some other titles, I think I find FF VII overrated. It's not a bad game or anything, I just don't think it surpasses games like FF VI or IX much, yet sooo many more people know and love FF VII. :s

VII is without a doubt overrated. I also consider X to also be overrated as well.
IX is my favorite in the series yet I consider it underrated. Even though IX (as well as VI) get LOTS of love on the internet since they are generally good solid FF games.

II is underrated. VIII on the other hand is more popular (well-known) than IX, IV, and II but definitely not as near popular as VII or X.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
FF VII
FF VII
FF VII
FF VII
FF XIII

that is all

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
IX by a long shot. It's a critics darling deluxe. It's not a bad game, but I think it's easily the worst one in the PS1 trilogy.

Zul

Awards
An excerpt from what recon linked share my thoughts well enough.

Oftentimes, I find the term "overrated" an arrogant one, as you're implying somebody else should tone down their appreciation of something because you don't care for it. Much of the time, I think the term betrays intellectual cowardice, as some people just want to say that they dislike a game but use "overrated" to dress it up and artificially make their personal opinion look like part of an objective, factual statement.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Hmmm...maybe I used the wrong choice of words.

What I should have stated was which FF was more popular, more widely known/praised, & is known across most FF fans in general.

However, when I used the term "overrated" I'm implying that those titles do not deserve such attention. Which really isn't what I intended. I just wanted to know which 5 FF games are the most popular.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
An excerpt from what recon linked share my thoughts well enough.

I've made the same argument a few times but it really depends on the context. For me, there's definitely an issue when people really do confuse their opinions with facts and show no signs of self-awareness either. Over/underrated are terms that are unfortunately mis-used by people as an attempt to discredit and insult people with a differing opinion.

For me, if we are going to have a discussion about this - then you need the people who participate to be aware of this and everyone needs to be prepared to elaborate on their picks. In my case, I feel that FFIX is way more popular than its fans seem to think it is. It's a massive fan favourite. The fact that Square Enix doesn't want to recognise this is irrelevant. But it's not that I have trouble understanding that people love it. That's all fine and dandy. The people who think it is underrated are so many that it's most definitely not underrated and a great deal of them seem to be blind to its flaws to the point where I think it actually becomes legit overrated. I think you can find flaws in every single Final Fantasy game and while everyone can have different preferences, I do believe a game qualifies as overrated if it's put on a pedestal by a lot of people... if that makes sense?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
VII is the only one I'd say is overrated. Maybe X just because it's the game many people began the series with? I'm not sure XIII would be, considering most of what I see for XIII is criticism or hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back