• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What’s your opinion on DLC?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Hi everyone!

A long time ago I think I talked about DLC on this forum. I mentioned how Resident Evil 5 had my favorite DLC, realeasing about a full year after the fact and providing a unique experience totally different from that of the main game. At the time I criticized DMC: Devil my Cry for having the “Virgil’s Downfall” DLC announced before the game even came out and releasing shortly there after. In the thread titled “DLC preview at TGS” I noticed Spockanort mention that having DLC in development while the main game is in development is insidious, which closely matches what I thought of the mention DMC dlc.

The thing is though, my favorite piece of DLC ever is easily the season pass of Team Ninja’s Nioh. Not only was this announced before the game came out, the first of its three parts release not too long after the main game. I think its fairly safe to say it a least started development before the game was shipped. What makes me even more confused about my own feelings is that its actually very close in conspect ot a game I often criticize for DLC: Capcom’s Asura’s Wrath. In that game the ending was clearly cut and sold as DLC.

Well in Nioh, after defeating the “secerate fainal boss,” the main character William decides to head back to Japan all the while new footage showing of an upcoming struggle to be had. If you had stopped the game there and never looked to deeply into Nioh, you would be forgiven for thinking that this was a tease for Nioh 2, which was announced at least year’s E3. Except these visions are of the three part DLC, the true ending of the game. The only difference here is unlike Asura’s Wrath, these DLC where quite meaty and well, good.

Despite my feelings towards lots of DLC being insidious, Nioh stands as a complete contradiction to that. I’m curious to know what you all think about DLC and when and where it adds meaningful value to a game.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I quite like it when I buy a game edition that has all DLC, like a Game of the Year edition. But I do usually dislike having to buy a game then pay more for the definitive ending or something.

Veevee

Awards
I think DLC is perfectly fine as long as it:

-Adds more to a complete game
-Has a fair price

This. I hate DLC when it's about completing the game (FFXV) or gives you the "true ending" - Prince of Persia PS3 did the latter and it was horrible. The game ended on a note of "she is dead and the land is dead, do you wanna see the real thing? Buy the DLC". It made me so salty after all the hours I poured into it. I also don't like character DLC in fighting games because I often end up thinking "why didn't you put that one in the game in the first place".
I like DLC that adds some extra nice story or backstory in a way that didn't make you miss something in the first place. I also like extra modes (like the coliseum mode in Guacamelee).
ALso, when developers offer you a solid and round experience from the get-go, I'm much more inclined to buy DLC from them because they were good to me.

allenleonardo

Awards
I am fine with DLC that adds to a complete world. For example if you have a huge open world filled with lots of stories and a finished main story and at the end you can buy more side stories that are just giving the world more depth. Kinda like a game expansion in the past. I also want these story DLC to have good value and be worth the price. If we even get some new gear or other stuff on top of that then that is a good package.

I dont like DLC that is only about weapons or gear, especially if it still costs more than 5 $. It is fine if you have a DLC with new extra bosses and gear/weapon as a price for defeating them.

I really dislike any DLC that give us character development of important characters that should have been in the main game or even important parts of the main story. It should just never feel like I have to pay extra to get the full story.

Back