• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Were the Final Fantasy characters ever needed in Vanilla KH3?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DavidOwen

If they were not going to serve a purpose on the clash of Light and Darkness then i don't think they should've included them in Base KH3 (like they did), if you look back at previous game they weren't even that important, they were leaning into being more fanservice than anything else.
KH1: Leon and Yuffie are the ones to tell you about Keyblades and Heartless... really important when it would be much more fun to discover about those by reading the reports, it would be mysterious in a very fun way and it would show people that Secret reports were important, later when they started making Secret reports actually important more people would be reading them instead of waiting for characters to tell you.
(This is not me saying they should not be in KH games, i'm just saying why they weren't necesarry in KH3 if it wasn't planned for them to do even the smallest little thing)
appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
People mainly wanted them because they were good friends of Sora and provided him with support for KH1 and KH2. Like in the same way fans wanted 100 Acre Woods to come back despite not being important to the overall plot.

If you wanted them to have a big role in KH3's plot Nomura could have made it work. Have them help Yen Sid hold back the heartless tide in the climax

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
If you wanted them to have a big role in KH3's plot Nomura could have made it work. Have them help Yen Sid hold back the heartless tide in the climax
Yeah, there were roughly... What? Three swarms of heartless before the GoL even got to fight the SoD? If you're gonna have that many unnecessary mob fights, bringing in secondary characters like the FF crew would've been pretty appropriate.
Yes. And so was Radiant Garden, period.
The Apprentices showing with no opposition from the Restoration Committee (who, in part, had to clean up the mess brought about the group's experiments) was definitely odd to say the least.
Then their was the issue of Aqua's Keyblade and Armor, which was never once addressed in the game either.

IMO, Radiant Garden should've gotten at least one more storyline to wrap up these lingering plot threads. I don't see any reason it had to wait until the next game.

Perkilator

Awards
Not necessarily, but I would’ve appreciated it, since it’s usually tradition. Plus, they could’ve introduced Faris to the series through the Caribbean.

AR829038

Awards
Here's the thing: Like, 80% of what's in these games is not important to the story. Most of these games are Disney filler, and in the better games there's generally some all-encompassing overarching reason why you're going to these filler places, but for the most part, the actual barebones narrative of this series is a skeleton surrounded in a TON of fat. So, you're not wrong, but then, the same criticism could be applied to the vast majority of content throughout most of these games. And in most video games in general, to a lesser extent.

GreyouTT

Awards
Then their was the issue of Aqua's Keyblade and Armor, which was never once addressed in the game either.

Her getting Master's Keeper back kinda lowered that on the priority list as far as the cast was concerned. It's not like she didn't have access to certain powers without her original one anyway. Well, besides the scooter.

Though thinking about it, Ienzo could've mentioned they found some weird stuff in the basement. But I also imagine they aren't in the biggest rush to go back down as see the remains of their past experiments.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
A lot in KH3 was unnecessary and yet it is there. Incorporating FF characters would have been easy and there were ample ways to make them relevant to the main or side plots.

So yes, they were necessary imo. They were necessary because it was clear they were sorely missed. I don't think the series needs to rely on them anymore to attract people to the games, but I do think the FF crew deserved to be a part of Sora's journey in the game because they were important to Sora as a character.

But that is just my opinion.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Something that needs to be kept in mind is KH3 needed characters like the Restoration Committee not because they're FF characters, but because of their role in the main story. Even ignoring their relationship with Sora, they are residents of Radiant Garden who survived its destruction, took charge in its restoration, and were also using the castle. From a narrative standpoint, Ienzo, the other apprentices, and Ansem "I was shoved in a locker for 98% of KH3" the Wise can't just be walking around like the Committee doesn't exist and nothing has happened. Yet they were, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

KH3, and KH in general nowadays, doesn't need FF in the sense of having to draw people in, but that in no way means characters who are part of the main narrative can just go poof, nor is there any harm in continuing to have FF around. There's a magic in having both Disney and Final Fantasy, I guess I should just say "Square Enix" at this point since the TWEWY cast have appeared, in the same series.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I honestly do think they were necessary because they've been there since the start of Sora's journey so them being able to catch up each time Sora goes on a big journey like this is nice. And I'm glad they're back now.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Are they needed? The answer is no, they are not. Neither is Radiant Garden at this point, as I don't expect to see it be heavily featured in the next saga. However does that mean they shouldn't ever appear again? Again the answer is no. At least in the case of Leon, Yuffie, Aerith, Cid, and Cloud. They are Sora's friends too and even if it's something small like calling Sora on his Gummiphone asking if there is anyway they can help him would be nice, that's really all I wanted from them. I don't want them to disappear forever but I understand the need to put them in the backseat if there is a good enough reason.

The problem is KH3 had enough roles for them to help. Have Leon and Yuffie help train Kairi and Lea with Merlin. Have Aerith and Cid help Ienzo's group find the three hearts in Sora, since they used Ansem's computers all the time, even tie Tron and Data Sora to it. Heck, have Cloud do something that doesn't revolve around Sephiroth and feel like part of the group. There are ways to still have them be useful while still keeping the OG cast in their roles too. Who wouldn't want to see Cid and Vexen argue in front of a computer? I know I would.

Even though I'm neutral on FF characters in KH overall, it would certainly be nice for them to remain support even if there role isn't as big as it was in KH1. When you get right down to it, only Sora, Riku, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are truly needed for the series anyway.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
A lot in KH3 was unnecessary and yet it is there. Incorporating FF characters would have been easy and there were ample ways to make them relevant to the main or side plots.

So yes, they were necessary imo. They were necessary because it was clear they were sorely missed. I don't think the series needs to rely on them anymore to attract people to the games, but I do think the FF crew deserved to be a part of Sora's journey in the game because they were important to Sora as a character.

But that is just my opinion.
Especially how Xehanort pretty much effed up their home and he's responsible indirectly for Maleficent's uprising.

GreyouTT

Awards
They attribute the destruction of their home to Maleficent only, so I think the only thing you can get Xehanort for in that is letting Maleficent know about other worlds. Now the attack on their home in 2, that was caused by Org 13.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
They attribute the destruction of their home to Maleficent only, so I think the only thing you can get Xehanort for in that is letting Maleficent know about other worlds. Now the attack on their home in 2, that was caused by Org 13.
Pretty much. He was also responsible for the more twisted iteration of the Apprentices' experiments.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Were FF characters needed in KH3? Kinda? Random Final Fantasy Characters aren't needed, however Radiant Garden was the World of the Restoration committee, it would be like featuring Agrabah and never featuring Aladin.

Also Leon and Co. were the ones running the City, so having the former apprentices that are directly responsible for the Worlds downfall suddenly be back in the castle and going about as, if nothing happened with out an explanation why Leon and Co. allow it is more than a little strange.

Plus you know what everyone else said these are the characters that have supported Sora though his journey and where who he turned to before Yen Sid became mission control. They were also the one's that suffered as ground zero of Xehanort's misdeeds for 10ish years

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
With the Foretellers Saga having equal or more amount of characters for the story to handle, I wonder how Nomura will handle the FF properties once more. With all the backlash over the lack of big original worlds, I imagine he's going to try and make a return for Radiant Garden. I can see RG interchanging with Mysterious Tower as the hubworld for plot advancement events.

GreyouTT

Awards
Also Leon and Co. were the ones running the City, so having the former apprentices that are directly responsible for the Worlds downfall suddenly be back in the castle and going about as, if nothing happened with out an explanation why Leon and Co. allow it is more than a little strange.

They were also the one's that suffered as ground zero of Xehanort's misdeeds for 10ish years

All of that was Maleficent. They specifically say in KH1 that Maleficent was the one who destroyed their home and messed up their lives. The apprentices did twisted experiments in the basement, but none of that affected the world. Also I think the ones who suffered as ground zero for Xehanort's bs were the Wayfinder trio and their world. >.>

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
All of that was Maleficent. They specifically say in KH1 that Maleficent was the one who destroyed their home and messed up their lives. The apprentices did twisted experiments in the basement, but none of that affected the world. Also I think the ones who suffered as ground zero for Xehanort's bs were the Wayfinder trio and their world. >.>
KH1 established that they thought it was Maleficent, yes. But it also established, that they then learned that the one that they thought was their leader and protecter, Ansem, is actually the one that enabled it all. KH2 then established it wasn't Ansem, but his apprentices.

Radiant Garden was still the first world to be invaded by heartless, which were a by product of Xehanort's experiments. MX is also the one that set Maleficent on the path to destroy worlds and collect princesses

But yes the wayfinders downfall was the actual ground zero. Still Radiant Garden, was the first of the world to suffer after the trio fell.

GreyouTT

Awards
KH1 established that they thought it was Maleficent, yes. But it also established, that they then learned that the one that they thought was their leader and protecter, Ansem, is actually the one that enabled it all. KH2 then established it wasn't Ansem, but his apprentices.

Radiant Garden was still the first world to be invaded by heartless, which were a by product of Xehanort's experiments. MX is also the one that set Maleficent on the path to destroy worlds and collect princesses

But yes the wayfinders downfall was the actual ground zero. Still Radiant Garden, was the first of the world to suffer after the trio fell.
The reports say they did the experiments and then cast off their bodies (that scene in DDD even shows them doing it in the basement), but don't really say anything about the world. So I really do think it was solely Maleficent that did the world in.

It actually might not have been the first world either, since Leon says it happened 9 years before KH1, and BbS takes place 10 years before it. So there's a year of time unaccounted for.

But yeah, MX told her about it and basically got her going on that whole plan.

Back