• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

We need more worlds like Monstro

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Alright, random topic that just popped in my head but hear me out.

In this age of Unreal engine 4 producing some of the best effects in the series to date, the worlds have grown in size and have adapted a more... realistic feel to it. So why not go the extra mile and have another world similar to Monstro in KH1,and have more adventures inside of giant creatures!

.... that came out wrong, but it comes from a curious interest I assure you. Few of you know that IRL I'm a biologist in training, so I often approach games with a bit of a "sciencey" look to it, RPGs especially. How some of the monster designs evoke real world creatures and how they adapt to environments, skeletal structures etc. Which is why Monstro as a world fascinates me. The idea of exploring the inside of a large creature as a location is nothing new, many games have done it (Lord Jabu Jabu anyone?). but to do it with an established Disney character who is known for swallowing man sized fish takes it to a new level. Going off the original film, we only see the inside of his mouth, and not much else. So that left a lot for the dev team to fill in, and you can really tell these guys never took a marine biology course. All of the chambers that look the same inside of monstro having cellular structures around them is a creative way to show how connected everything is. And lest we not forget that this space whale defies anatomy by having you go UP his throat to reach his stomach, how... interesting?

Admittedly, this would raise a few problems if they did this with UE4's graphics. Because everything now has greater detail, it would come to stand that the insides of (insert large creature here) would be realistic as well, which would take the series in an even darker direction than Nomura's probably intending. I guess they could go for a more cartoonish appearance?
What do you guys think? any large creatures you wish would get the monstro treatment? It's got to be more interesting than Olympus Colliseum anyways.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I can't think of any Disney character that can become a world like Monstro. I seriously doubt we will ever actually see Monstro as an entire world again (maybe we can go inside Monstro if we visit Prankster's Paradise).

I think moving forward, if there ever is a moment where we go inside a creature, it will be part of a larger world - like say A Bug's Life or something. Due to the scope of the worlds now, I can't see Nomura using a world slot for something small that can't be expanded like the inside of a creature.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Reading the title of your thread I jumped in to just reply "YES!!!!" -- because Monstro was my favorite world in KH1 as a kid and I adore the even crazier take in 3D.

But (now that I've read your post) higher graphics would probably make it way too creepy. Monstro worked because the stomachs were colourful and cartoonish and the more realistic part (the mouth) was just one room that recreated the darker mood from the movie. The mouth would have been too scary for me in more realistic detail.

I was wondering about what they could do with the giant turtle from Aladdin 3, but the space is the castle on the turtle's back, not the inside of the turtle. I'm not sure what other Disney creature would be big and fascinating enough to build a whole level inside.... Do you have any ideas?

Now I feel like there was a missed opportunity to make something incredible in the Elephant Graveyard from the Lion King, if you're looking for skeletons. Lots of slides and moving platforms? The KH2 design was pretty flat.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree, we need more examples of creativity like Monstro in KH1. I mean, I don't know how they could make the inside of an animal look in a game made today, but it would be interesting to have a "world" like that one again. I thought the Deep Space world was actually a creative idea, too.

Swing

Awards
The only thing I could think of is Inside Out from Pixar, where Sora might enter the mind of someone else or if someone just enters Sora's own mind where they meet all of Sora's emotions: Joy-Sora, Sadness-Sora. Anger-Sora, Fear-Sora, Disgust-Sora, and Foot Fetish-Sora... oh, wait, that is my mind...

okhi12

Awards
I'm a biologist too and I absolutely love Monstro. I mean, it's probably the most anatomically incorrect thing I've ever seen, but that's part of its charm. I love videogame locations based on living beings like this one or the inside of Bionis in Xenoblade, there's something eerie about them.
Why did hitting those uvula-like things to turn the rooms upside down in Dream Drop Distance feel so satisfying? The poor creature would probably disagree, haha.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I love the Monstro world in KH1. It was unique and very unexpected too. Also helps I love the music in Monstro. But as others have said, what other Disney creature or character's insides could we explore? It's a fun concept but I wonder what is left to use on the subject.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I love the Monstro world in KH1. It was unique and very unexpected too. Also helps I love the music in Monstro. But as others have said, what other Disney creature or character's insides could we explore? It's a fun concept but I wonder what is left to use on the subject.
I got a hunch & check it out & sure enough....

y0SMU2W.jpg

THE quintessential inside-of-the-human-body film that countless others have copied or parodied. Produced by Fox, meaning it is now owned by Disney & viable for KH.

Soldier

Awards
I'm a biologist too and I absolutely love Monstro. I mean, it's probably the most anatomically incorrect thing I've ever seen, but that's part of its charm. I love videogame locations based on living beings like this one or the inside of Bionis in Xenoblade, there's something eerie about them.
Why did hitting those uvula-like things to turn the rooms upside down in Dream Drop Distance feel so satisfying? The poor creature would probably disagree, haha.
Good question, perhaps those uvula looking things were polyps (you know, the growth of cells inside the intestinal tract) and striking them was perhaps Riku hitting a "weak spot" inside the whale. I'd argue that it's not surprising that the whale would have these things inside of it's system, eating a enormous school of tuna and whatever ships you come across would probably do that to you.

Well, it'd have to be big enough to fit the party inside it, so perhaps Willie the giant from the mickey and the bean stalk short that Disney produced. We already have Julius from Runaway Brain in Dream Drop Distance, so it's not off the table. Plus, they gave him the ability to shapeshift into anything, maybe even monstro himself for a nice callback.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Maybe if we visit Atlantica or Finding Nemo's world, we can explore a section of a dead giant whale or squid or something. Although that's kind of morbid.

Soldier

Awards
Maybe if we visit Atlantica or Finding Nemo's world, we can explore a section of a dead giant whale or squid or something. Although that's kind of morbid.
Well, if we're getting technical Ursula's lair is essentially the bones of a giant sea serpent, decayed after years of being underwater and picked at by crabs and other bottom feeders. If I recall correctly, finding Dory did have that bioluminescent giant squid (which is impossible in real life, they can change color with chromatophores, not emit light) which would be a interesting boss fight to say the least (the inside of a cartoon squid is uncharted territory). And I'm not sure we can get any more morbid than the direction the series is going with Verum Rex's edgy FF esque style. By comparison, rotting whale guts in UE4 are tame.

Soldier

Awards
If Nomura ever caves in to fan demand and starts doing Final Fantasy worlds, then maybe we could explore the inside of Sin from FFX.
Now THAT is what I'm talking about. We already have a bit of a taste for what's inside that whale like monstrosity from the FFX remaster. Plus, the fact that in his universe it's established that his innards are massive gives justification for the party walking around in there. Though Nomura caving will be a bit tough to do, since he's so high up on the corporate ladder it's unlikely he hears demands for better games. But that iron wall he has up will rust one day, it's made of iron after all.

Dark Rot

Awards
I love Monstro, and am always down to see him return with increasingly vast bowels. It's Jabu-Jabu and the Lost Woods in one with a completely unique aesthetic. I don't know if I read this somewhere else, but I like the idea that his insides are so colorful and gumby because he's been eating all that stray space gummi and heartless gummi ships.

I think Chernabog is a fair candidate to have his technicolor innards explorable, if they feel like taking some liberty with the character, which they should. I also want Chern to scale himself down to only like 10 ft tall for an intense 1 on 1 boss fight.

It would be cool for a final final world to be inside of a dragon for some reason or another, whether it's surreal architecture or disturbing guts within. Basically if The World of Chaos or The World of Nothingness were full worlds to explore. The next final boss should get that in their own style.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Dory and Marlin do end up inside a whale at one point in Finding Nemo.

Monstro's environments look SO cool in MoM. I'd love to re-visit that level or something like it again someday.

Back