• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Watch the trailer for The World Ends With You - The Animation!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Not the studio I wanted, but it's a more interesting choice than A-1 Pictures.
The character designs are well adapted and the atmosphere seems great too.

I'm not surprised Nomura is in this because he's everywhere these days, but I'm glad Gen Kobayashi is with him and Takeharu Ishimoto is returning as the composer. The story being the same with some changes and not a totally new one is good news too.

I'm not convinced by the animation, but I wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking anyway. At least now I can say I look forward to this.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As someone who sorta pays attention to the anime industry, I highly doubt it will have more than 13 episodes at most, sadly.

I haven’t watched an anime that wasn’t based on a game or something I had already watched in like 4 years so it would be great to hear why.

All I know is that isekai and harem anime have really overtaken the industry.

I would have figured a 24-26 episode season would be a shoe-in considering a lot of game adaptions get that still.

Chie

Awards
I haven’t watched an anime that wasn’t based on a game or something I had already watched in like 4 years so it would be great to hear why.

All I know is that isekai and harem anime have really overtaken the industry.

I would have figured a 24-26 episode season would be a shoe-in considering a lot of game adaptions get that still.
Pretty much anything interesting only gets about 12 episodes now, the things that get more are pretty much exclusively adaptations of major shonen properties. In terms of video games I think really only Persona 5 and big franchises with gacha games get that kind of status. Outside of adaptations even acclaimed directors aren't really able to get more than 12, that is if they get to make anything at all. It's become very much a default.

I think if TWEWY was big enough to get more than 12 episodes they would have certainly been able to make TWEWY2 by now.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Judging by the fact that Square Enix is very involved in this, I presume we can be hopeful and expect a season with 20+ episodes.

If we get a sequel/season 2, then maybe that's when they'll hit less episodes.

D

Deleted member 246005

I liked it.

Never played the original game or the remakes so i guess this is my introduction to it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Pretty much anything interesting only gets about 12 episodes now, the things that get more are pretty much exclusively adaptations of major shonen properties. In terms of video games I think really only Persona 5 and big franchises with gacha games get that kind of status. Outside of adaptations even acclaimed directors aren't really able to get more than 12, that is if they get to make anything at all. It's become very much a default.

I think if TWEWY was big enough to get more than 12 episodes they would have certainly been able to make TWEWY2 by now.

I'm hoping it does. Less popular (but still loved) games like Ace Attorney and Tales of Zestiria got a lot of episodes. AA ended up running for two seasons and ToZX was a full 24-episode season.

The studios working on this show are a bit unconventional, too.

But man...anime...I'm really sad about the medium. Non-Japanese animation has been seeing a bit of a renaissance lately, so it is really depressing to see this happening to Japanese animation.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
OMFG! The trailer was amazing! I really like the art-style and I feel confident now that it will retain the game's essence. I wonder if "Calling" will be the theme song of the show?

I'm hoping it gets 13 episodes. I think that will be enough to tell the game's story. I just don't want them to draw it out or expand beyond the game and make it crap.

SuperNova

Awards
Well, so far this anime looks a lot better than the train wreck that was P5: The Animation. I am super glad that Square Enix is involved in the development. But I don't expect this to be a full on faithful adaptation, I expect it to either expand on certain plot elements or twist elements into its own unique thing.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, so far this anime looks a lot better than the train wreck that was P5: The Animation. I am super glad that Square Enix is involved in the development. But I don't expect this to be a full on faithful adaptation, I expect it to either expand on certain plot elements or twist elements into its own unique thing.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. They are making changes both to modernize it and to also expand on the story.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
The only issue I have with the trailer is the music. It not only gives off a completely different energy and feel to what TWEWY is, but is painfully generic and forgettable. If I first heard it by itself and was told it was for TWEWY, I'd laugh thinking it was a joke.

They would have been much better off just using one of the many Twister remixes.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The only issue I have with the trailer is the music. It not only gives off a completely different energy and feel to what TWEWY is, but is painfully generic and forgettable. If I first heard it by itself and was told it was for TWEWY, I'd laugh thinking it was a joke.

They would have been much better off just using one of the many Twister remixes.
I fear that part of the modernization process will focus on background music as well. Perhaps 1/4 or 2/4 of the music used on the Animé will be old ones.

Chie

Awards
From the panel it sounded like the composer made an entirely new soundtrack. Would love to see a couple of old ones used but it's hard to complain about getting an entire new soundtrack of TWEWY music (it's the same composer as the game).

D

Deleted member 246005

I liked it. I haven't played this game so i guess this would be my intro to it.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I fear that part of the modernization process will focus on background music as well. Perhaps 1/4 or 2/4 of the music used on the Animé will be old ones.
I don't mind a "modernizing" of the music as long as there's an understanding in what made the original music work and why it's still loved, even with new, younger fans. Otherwise it'll run into "How do you do, fellow kids?" territory. The background music used during the interview is much better than the trailer's, for example, so the latter might have just been an unfortunate dud.

I'm also not going to expect much singing in the anime tracks. Which is fine considering all the talking there'll be.

Speaking of "How do you do, fellow kids?" I'm hoping Makoto's pin advertising adventure becomes this full-blown. Bonus points if his out of date slang is now all over the place.

Back