• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Watch the trailer for The World Ends With You - The Animation!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

The official trailer for The World Ends With You - The Animation has launched and can be viewed below:

The legendary game returns as an anime!

STORY】

Make your way through “SHIBUYA” and survive the seven-day “Reaper’s Game”!

The main character Neku wakes up in the middle of a busy Shibuya Crossing Intersection unaware of how he got there. He’s in an alternate plane of existence called the Underground (UG). Unknowingly forced to participate in the “Reaper’s Game”, Neku must partner with Shiki, a teenage girl player whom he meets. Neku must fight to survive by completing the missions thrown at him and defeating the creatures called “Noise.” By doing so, he will confront the “Reaper’s Game” along with the truth buried deep inside his memory.

“The only way to survive is to trust your partner”

Will they survive the “Reaper’s Game”...?

【STAFF】

Based on the original story “The World Ends with You” (SQUARE ENIX)
Director: Kazuya Ichikawa (DOMERICA)
Screenwriter: Midori Goto (SANZIGEN)
Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura & Gen Kobayashi (SQUARE ENIX)
Music: Takeharu Ishimoto (THRILL)
Production: DOMERICA x SHIN-EI ANIMATION

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, the rumored Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus series, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
That looks really good. I'm not big on Anime in general but definitely going to watch this.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Looks great :). Animation and Voice acting is spot on

Kind of reminds me of Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Also Neku has a smartphone instead of a flip one so I guess this is set in modern times instead of 2007

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Also Neku has a smartphone instead of a flip one so I guess this is set in modern times instead of 2007
Yeah, it's set in modern day Shibuya instead of "modern day 2007 Shibuya". They've updated the buildings and stuff for the anime, so the backgrounds will differ from the game. Should make for a neat comparison between the two.

U.N. Owen

Awards
I was sort of expecting "Twister" to be in the trailer, but I bet they'll save that for when we get closer to the actual release.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Really enjoy the visuals on how it looks reminiscent to the visual style of the original game and quite surprising it's 3D cause I thought it was 2D at first.

Hopefully before the anime launches in 2021 we find out who will license this anime and whether it will get an English dub.

Anyways is this World Ends With You anime an anime adaptation of the original game or an original story?

Last edited:
Awards
Makes me wonder if the Anime will have the original English dub cast or Dream Drop Distance cast, or no dub at all since they never talked about that during the panel.

Violet Pluto

Awards
Hmm... I keep forgetting that the name of the game/anime in Japanese is "This Wonderful World" and the trailer reminded me of that. Otherwise if I didn't know that it was 3D animated I'd be almost fooled into thinking some scenes were traditional. Glad to see that technology is moving forward like that. It looks beautiful.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Makes me wonder if the Anime will have the original English dub cast or Dream Drop Distance cast, or no dub at all since they never talked about that during the panel.
Who can say, recently Funimation just announced they have Licensed The World Ends with You: The Animation. So it's going to be interesting if they would bring back the original voice cast (including Jesse David Corti) or use a new voice cast altogether. Even Jesse David Corti hasn't been asked yet to reprise his role.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The fact that they showcased Sho makes me feel like they might cram three weeks into one season, or they're taking liberties into presenting the characters and involving them to the stories in other ways.

Or the first season is the game and the sequel is gonna happen in Animé format.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
The fact that they showcased Sho makes me feel like they might cram three weeks into one season, or they're taking liberties into presenting the characters and involving them to the stories in other ways.

Sho first appears at the start of Week 1, Day 4.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I mean, if they make it a two-cour show for one season, that’s 24 episodes which should be plenty enough if they want to cover the full game. Some Days are shorter than others.

Also, like Fudgemint said, Sho appears in the first week. There is a discussion in the Death God's Pad between all of the Game Masters and the Conductor about the progress of the Players at that point in the week.

I'm personally not too worried about this show when it comes to story progression. I think they will do a great job. Tons of the original staff are involved so it is sure to have good pacing.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Sho first appears at the start of Week 1, Day 4.
I mean, if they make it a two-cour show for one season, that’s 24 episodes which should be plenty enough if they want to cover the full game. Some Days are shorter than others.

Also, like Fudgemint said, Sho appears in the first week. There is a discussion in the Death God's Pad between all of the Game Masters and the Conductor about the progress of the Players at that point in the week.

I'm personally not too worried about this show when it comes to story progression. I think they will do a great job. Tons of the original staff are involved so it is sure to have good pacing.
*looks better at the trailer* ah yes, I now recognize the couch Sho was sitting on, lol. Thanks for the observation. And I was worried that the first season might not be 24, but yes, 24 is more than enough

Chie

Awards
As someone who sorta pays attention to the anime industry, I highly doubt it will have more than 13 episodes at most, sadly.

Back