• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Watch: How Dream Drop Distance's Opening Scene With Xehanort Was Pulled Off

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

A few months ago, we learnt a lot about how Kingdom Hearts II was developed, thanks to Boundary Break's video showcasing the tricks that were put into action back in 2005 to pull certain scenes off. But we now have a special treat for those who learnt about Xehanort's tiny head thanks to an interview back when Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance first launched in 2012.

Thanks to YouTubers 13th Vessel and Key to Truth, we can see how the opening scene of Dream Drop Distance, which is set a year after Birth by Sleep and 9 years before Kingdom Hearts, was pulled off.

For those who didn't know, Masashi Nakamichi was the Sub-Lead Programmer on Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance and revealed a secret only he knew about in the Ultimania for the game:

Secret of this title that only he knows: 
In the cutscene from Xehanort's perspective that runs right after the opening of the game, we had to make his head smaller so it wouldn't show on the camera. Looking at it from another perspective you see he has a normal body with a tiny little dot of a head on top, it had me in stitches. It's such a shame I can't show you.

Now we know exactly what had him in stitches!

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross]Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: Watch: How Dream Drop Distance's Opening Scene With Xehanort Was Pulled Off

I watched this video, surprised to see it here as a headline, but I was laughing when I saw it. I figured it was to keep the head from being in view because I've seen that technique used a lot in other video games thanks to videos from Did You Know Gaming and other boundary breaks like Pokemon Snap.

MelodicEnigma

Awards
Website
twitter.com

Oh wow Rofl XD Looks to me like decapitation won't work on Xehanort in KH3!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I laughed my freaking ass off last night at how this was done. I'm so happy we can all finally appreciate what Masashi Nakamichi and the rest of the team did.

I watched this video, surprised to see it here as a headline, but I was laughing when I saw it. I figured it was to keep the head from being in view because I've seen that technique used a lot in other video games thanks to videos from Did You Know Gaming and other boundary breaks like Pokemon Snap.
They did something similar with other first person camera moments, like with Jiminy Cricket in KH2, but Sora just had his neck snapped.

Boundary%20Break%2014.jpg

Boundary%20Break%2012.jpg

Hirokey123

Awards

I have been wanting to see this for AGES ever since they told us how they did it, I'm surprised it took so many years to finally happen.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

It's even more beautiful than I imagined. ;A;

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Pfft, I can't stop chuckling at all of this because it looks so hilarious.

It's like the shrinking process of Wonderland gets only applied to the head and that's it.

SoulXaldin

Awards

Mininort is the result of having all the light sucked out of his and becoming a Seeker of Darkness.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Pfft, I can't stop chuckling at all of this because it looks so hilarious.

It's like the shrinking process of Wonderland gets only applied to the head and that's it.
Xehanort: "I'm back from my research on Wonderla-why is everyone laughing?"

Braig: "Your head!"

Xehanort: "My..hea-OH MY GOD!" *proceeds to stab everyone out of embarrassment*

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Xehanort: "I'm back from my research on Wonderla-why is everyone laughing?"

Braig: "Your head!"

Xehanort: "My..hea-OH MY GOD!" *proceeds to stab everyone out of embarrassment*

I seem to have a knack for giving you prompts to make a funny thing even funnier, lol.

It's great to have something to lighten the mood a little. ^__^

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Came for the chuckles, leaving with inevitable night terrors. Something about the way the neck isn't shrunk down on the body with the head makes the creepy factor skyrocket for me. It's like World of Chaos's conception. Small head is canon.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

I think I missed this, but this was pretty awesome! The end part was super funny xD

Back