• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Watch: Direct Feed Capture of Kingdom Hearts 0.2!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

This week, I was lucky enough to be invited into the offices of Bandai Namco Australia and get my hands on Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue. I was given two hours to play four demos - one featuring Aqua in the Castle of Dreams, one featuring Sora in Traverse Town, and two featuring Riku in La Cité des Cloches and The Grid respectively (the same demos that have been taken around to game shows worldwide).

I was able to capture myself playing the game and upload it for all of you to view. We had planned a special surprise to showcase the demos for Dream Drop Distance HD but unfortunately my capture didn't turn out quite as expected (there's no visual, just audio) so unfortunately I do not have anything to show in regards to that title at this time. We're working avidly to solve this problem so fingers crossed!

KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 BIRTH BY SLEEP - A FRAGMENTARY PASSAGE - 

I was so excited to get to try this title. Naturally, out of the demos available this is the first one I jumped into because I was so excited to see what the future of the Kingdom Hearts franchise looked and played like. One of the things that really impressed me was that even though the graphics have evolved from what we've been use to for 15 years now, it still looked exactly like a Kingdom Hearts game. Even further than that, it felt exactly like a Kingdom Hearts game should. The gameplay was fun, there were a lot of elements to master, and the enemies were tough as well! I absolutely love that the Shadows now actually become shadows when they go into the ground as opposed to becoming a flat texture on the ground.

I also found myself using magic more than I ever have in the series. For the first time, it actually felt fun to mix magic into my combos. Thunder was perfect to use on a crowd, and Blizzard worked a treat on flying enemies (since it forces them to fall to the ground). Unfortunately there were times in my time with the game where the frame rate went down, notably when there were a lot of effects on screen such as when I was using Spell Weaver or fighting the Devil Wave but as this was the Paris Games Week build I have hope they have improved on it since then.

KINGDOM HEARTS DREAM DROP DISTANCE HD

This is how Dream Drop Distance should have been when it released in 2012. I'm a bit biased as I prefer console gaming to handheld gaming but exploring Traverse Town or racing at The Grid felt oh so right on a big screen in crisp HD. I admit that the 60fps took me back initially as I'm not use to it in this series but it grew on me and my time with the demo proceeded and now I'm very excited to explore the previous Kingdom Hearts titles in 60fps.

I had trouble with the camera and menu as it was inverted so there was a bit of fumbling around as I got use to the controls again. I was also use to the left D-Pad button being a shortcut to a chosen command so I was taken back a few times as the system has been revamped so pressing left and right moves you through two other menus (swapping out your Dream Eaters and selecting them for a special attack). 

I absolutely adored this game on the 3DS and experiencing it again in HD on a television was just magical. The unique gameplay was whimsical and I didn't realise how much I missed Flowmotion and my Dream Eater pals! 

Kingdom Hearts is definitely back, and better than ever. The series is kicking off it's 15th anniversary in such a big way next year with Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue and I'm so excited to see where the rest of the year takes us.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
chaser how old would say the demo is like e3 old or lot of imorvmentd

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I really do want to stress that I hadn't played a KH game in a while and I am so use to Final Fantasy XV's control system xD

I was holding down O expecting Aqua to chain attacks but instead she just jumped once.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Don't want to watch the video, I've spoiled a bit too much of the game for myself already, but those images look amazing! Thank you for sharing!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Doesn't look much different from the Gamescom build tho the voice recording in battle is now in (I think it wasn't back then, might be mistaken though).
I'm still not to happy with the gameplay since it felt too much like BBS to me, but damn, I'm so gonna play the shit out of that game.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
great footage!!

this build sure has a lot of problems, though. I'mma chalk it up to it being a poorly optimized demo, but the framerate is laughably bad at times.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
great footage!!

this build sure has a lot of problems, though. I'mma chalk it up to it being a poorly optimized demo, but the framerate is laughably bad at times.
I'm someone who is fine with video games being 30fps and don't notice frame drops or frame pacing issues at some parts but I was a little surprised to see the frame rate struggle at times. I hope that in the time since Paris Games Week and the month left until release they've worked on the frame rate problems.

Ashton69

Awards
Frame rate ain't looking to good. Never noticed it being this bad in other videos so I'll conclude that it is an issue with the recording process. If it really is that bad, I hope that they at least fix it on the pro.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'm someone who is fine with video games being 30fps and don't notice frame drops or frame pacing issues at some parts but I was a little surprised to see the frame rate struggle at times. I hope that in the time since Paris Games Week and the month left until release they've worked on the frame rate problems.

There's no huge reason for the final game to have frame-rate issues. The environments look nice but the action is decently concentrated and nothing happens on too big of a scale-- Ideally, the game should run at a solid 30 at all times.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Frame rate ain't looking to good. Never noticed it being this bad in other videos so I'll conclude that it is an issue with the recording process. If it really is that bad, I hope that they at least fix it on the pro.
It's not a recording issue, the frame rate was like that while I was playing.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Default face is gone~~, my wish has come true~
Mostly. There's still a noticeable difference between low-poly and high-poly models, but it's not jarring or bad like the 2d fishfaces of yore.

Anyone else notice the six-pointed star insignia on the menu that floats by Aqua's sash. It's an icon we've never seen and looks like one of the chess pieces ~*~*~

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Fun fact: I cut a minute of loading from the game. It all took place before I reached the title screen but after the copyright information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back