• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Was Kingdom Hearts only meant to be one game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawberry

I heared somewhere that Kingdom Hearts was suppose to be the first and only game, but after success, they continued a story for it...

aqualight

I imagine that'd be the case for nearly all games, especially considering square wouldn't of known if final fantasy/disney would actually work well as a product since it was a weird mix. I think most companies plan on the one game and make that a solid experience, then leave small things that could possibly lead to a sequel if it was successful.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Yeah, but the ending is still pretty open so they definitely were open for more games.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I think they were iffy about the whole theme of the game, like "DISNEY AND SQUARE TOGETHER?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" But it eventually paid off... well not for everyone.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Can I just say that, if KH had stayed one game, it would have had one frustrating ending. Last shot of Kairi is her tearing up over missing how they used to be, SDG chasing after Pluto carrying a letter from King Mickey, Riku trapped in the RoD. Whether you like where the series has gone or not, that would have been heartbreaking.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean if you want facts...

The development team made it so it could stand on its own but they wanted to make a sequel, but honestly didn't know if that would be possible since Squaresoft and Enix were merging and nobody knew what would happen after.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If they didn't know if they would be able to do a sequel when they were making the game I'm surprised they did an open ending instead of a more conclusive one.

Rix

:)
Awards
Yeah, I guess that's the case. But I gotta agree with everyone else that it would've been a frustrating and sad ending if it ended with one game. So yeah. Kinda odd that they didn't make a more conclusive ending if they were unsure about the games' future.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Can I just say that, if KH had stayed one game, it would have had one frustrating ending. Last shot of Kairi is her tearing up over missing how they used to be, SDG chasing after Pluto carrying a letter from King Mickey, Riku trapped in the RoD. Whether you like where the series has gone or not, that would have been heartbreaking.
Really? I dunno. If Kingdom Hearts did stay as one game, I don't think this ending is bad at all.
It's sad,yes, but the scene with Pluto is very positive. Pluto carrying Mickey's letter makes it imply that Mickey and Riku found a way out or at least was able to contact SDG, hence way the dorks are so happy and chase Pluto. So if the Kingdom Hearts didn't continue, we could just assume they reunited off screen.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Really? I dunno. If Kingdom Hearts did stay as one game, I don't think this ending is bad at all.
It's sad,yes, but the scene with Pluto is very positive. Pluto carrying Mickey's letter makes it imply that Mickey and Riku found a way out or at least was able to contact SDG, hence way the dorks are so happy and chase Pluto. So if the Kingdom Hearts didn't continue, we could just assume they reunited off screen.

Great pieces of art have also ended on an open-ended story point or a "downer", so no, as far as possible bad endings, it's not the worst. If anything, KH1's ending alone is extremely memorable as Sora and Kairi are separated at the Door to Darkness. However, any idea of what happens afterwards would have just been fanfiction and to me, the only truly depressing ending for the trio is Kairi. Left alone on DI, with no idea if they'll ever reunite, and left to just forget her 2 best friends (which is what happened as seen in KH2, though Namine was involved in that).

I'll edit "frustrating ending" to instead "incredibly depressing ending", neither of which I'm overtly fond of, especially after spending 25+ hours trying to help Sora find them.

TheKeybasHKey

Awards
As much i love the ending, I would be dissapointed there´s only one game and that ending would be a little too depressing.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
If they didn't know if they would be able to do a sequel when they were making the game I'm surprised they did an open ending instead of a more conclusive one.

^This is what my thought process is. I mean, leaving something open ended is one thing. But it seemed like they pretty much set themselves up with something thathat would beg for a sequel.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
After reding this thread, I spent the entire day coming back to it, thinking...
In the end, I wouldn't have been damaged by the loss of the actual plot and characters of the KH games, as much as the concepts they brought.
The KH series isn't exactly a champion of innovative concepts, more like a showcase of pre-existing ones, but I did get some ideas after spending years with this or that title.

So yeah, if KH ended with one, also my favourite, I wouldn't have mourned the absence of this or that character, much more the idea they came with.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I mean if you want facts...

The development team made it so it could stand on its own but they wanted to make a sequel, but honestly didn't know if that would be possible since Squaresoft and Enix were merging and nobody knew what would happen after.
Pretty much this.

I mean, does "a Disney/Square Enix crossover fanfiction that focuses on the power of friendship, heart, and a gigantic key that is actually a sword" sound like a foolproof formula for a massive hit? I don't think anyone did, so it's best to avoid the pitfall of making a purposefully incomplete story if you couldn't be sure that no one would want to see it continue.

Personally, I think the ending is solid. It leaves enough unresolved that a sequel wouldn't feel contrived, forced, or not needed, but the larger, more "end of all existence" threat has been resolved and the only loose threads left are smaller and more... personal, I suppose. The fate of the world no longer hangs in balance, and the only conflict that's left unresolved is Sora finding and reuniting with his friends.

It really could have ended there, honestly.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean, does "a Disney/Square Enix crossover fanfiction that focuses on the power of friendship, heart, and a gigantic key that is actually a sword" sound like a foolproof formula for a massive hit? I don't think anyone did, so it's best to avoid the pitfall of making a purposefully incomplete story if you couldn't be sure that no one would want to see it continue.

My word, I was the first one who saw the commercial for the first KH and thought "yeah that's not going to work"

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm glad it didn't end there.

So am I. While Osprey has a point about the larger issues being resolved, it would have bothered me never knowing if Riku or Mickey would escape the dark realm. Or the deal with Pluto at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back