• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Warning signs that will signal Kingdom Hearts is running out of ideas (in FUTURE titles)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier

Awards
Ahoy hoy,

The kingdom hearts series has been around for quite a bit, though at least 1/4 of that time is due to KH 3's time in development hell. While the series has had a few flops here and there, they have redeemed themselves along the way. That being said, we all know deep down that someday, the writers will run out of ideas, and then the series (popular as it is) will fall. Now, i want to stress that i'm addressing future titles after 3, maybe in the year 2030 or so. Like it or not, this series isn't an immortal jellyfish, it can't exist forever and the common expression "the bigger they are the harder they fall" comes to mind. I don't necessarily want the series to just come to a close, but it will happen one day, maybe when we're not around. But enough of the depressing intro, let me explain what i mean

I made this thread to come up with a few ideas of worlds, concepts, cliches, etc that would show that there wasn't a lot of effort made in the decision. Case in point, i'll give you an example.

The Aristocats being a world,
Okay, that escalated quickly, but it's the truth. IF Tetsuya Nomura ever considers this a good idea for a world, that is a bad sign. Ignoring the racial stereotypes that they would have to narrowly avoid like in BBS, there isn't any true conflict here that's worth a visit. You've got one of the most pathetic villains of disney history, who has zero powers, motive/actions are underwhelming and there is NOTHING interesting about him. I can't even think of anything the protagonists would fight in a world like this! there's nothing here!

So that is an example of what goes in this thread. I know we shouldn't look at the future as bleak but consider this just one of many outcomes that Square enix might take. Granted it is terrible, but it is a possibility.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
a supreme version of the keyblade, more ultimate than any other, and the look is basically two keyblades taped together

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'd be down with an Aristocats world. If they can cut the Native Americans from Neverland they should be able to get around any controversy in that film. Plus it could have different context for being in the next saga then in KH3.

As for worst ideas, I fear they could just keep on handing out the keyblade like candy.

ImVentus

Awards
Isn't The Aristocats popular in Japan though?

I'm sorta feeling that 0.2 was the most recent sign, that KH is starting to lose itself. The story really wasn't that compelling IMO and it suffered to explain some really important questions that had been talked about. Like when they said that Aqua would supposedly find a way to save Ven & Terra, that never happened. Even the execution of revealing why they never tried to rescue Aqua and let her be trapped for KH3. It came off as selfish (as if they just gave up) Especially when Mickey says "Now we can help Aqua". As over-exaggerated Chariii5 reacted to the game, he knew what he was talking about and proved just how lazy the writing really was presented.

I also wasn't very impressed with having MX's keyblade be named, No Name. That sounds very creative.

If they don't start giving they familiar faces in UX some real purpose and character development, then it will end as forced or just lack of even decent writing.

Last edited:

ImVentus

Awards
looking into it, it seems that it was the magazine's copy and not something Nomura actually said.

the full interview makes no mention of it for example:

https://www.khinsider.com/news/Dengeki-Interview-with-Nomura-Commemorative-600th-Issue-6090
https://www.khinsider.com/news/Dengeki-Playstation-Mini-Interview-with-Tetsuya-Nomura-6115

Oh!
I Must've have miss-read the info then, even though I didn't mention Nomura involved in the source. Good to know that at least.
Still, it made me question the information itself.

Last edited:

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
I feel like they could just use Aristocats in a similar way to what they did with 101 Dalmations. As in, have their own quests involving the cats, and the cats are someone's pets or just residents in a world that you can visit. If they wanted to make it a world, they'd have to find some fun and unique ways to get around the problems the movie had (as OP described), but rehashing like movie plot point by plot point feels like the "we're running on empty" route. As far as Disney worlds go, I don't think a specific world would send any signals for me, but rather if they kept using the same worlds and never doing anything new with them. (Which is kind of what they're going with Union Cross already.)

I think we kind-of hit this point already with the X-Blade (as Audo mentioned) and how lazily designed it looks. Also, putting established characters in the past (Ven and "Lauriam") just feels like a lazy, uncreative way of trying to get players invested in the plot (instead of simply developing those characters). Adding time-travel and prophecies to a series that's not already about those things feels like they were running out of ideas to me, personally.

Honestly, I don't think creators ever truly "run out of" ideas -- it's just things get stale or the creators themselves don't have the same passion and vision that they do at the beginning. It's hard to keep a series alive for over 15 or 20 years. It certainly doesn't help that Nomura is directing FF7 Remake and KH3 at the same time, and he didn't even get to finish the project he had cared for -- Versus XIII/FFXV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back