• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Want to make my own ACTION rpg, best program to use?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 36435

If you are serious about making a video you shouldn't use anything like RPGMaker or GameMakerStudio or whatever. Learn to program. Find someone who can animate. Find someone who can come up with designs.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
I don't know anyone who can do those things, and even if I did find someone I doubt they'd be willing to work with some random guy asking for help. I'm not trying to make money or anything, just thought it'd be fun to do. The guy who made Cave Story did everything himself didn't he?

D

Deleted member 36435

Ok...
he also didn't use RPG Maker, and if he did he is a VERY rare exception of making a decent game using one of those programs.

Making a game is far from easy, so if you are wanting to do it right you should learn how to actually program, animate, etc. RPG Makers are fine if you just want to mess around but they are unintuitive and limited in what they can do.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
If you're looking to make a game, you'll need to know C++ or Java (Android).

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Honestly, with the amount of work that goes into using any of the programs, you are better off learning how to do it from scratch. If you want to get into the industry in the future, those other programs do not teach you transferable skills. Not to mention the fact that the final product will be full of stock assets, which is not exactly beneficial if you have a specific vision that you want to achieve. Still, if you're bent on using one, I suppose the most recent would give you the most tools to work with of the bunch.

However, remember that the genre you chose to do is probably one of the more intensive genres to tackle. There are so many elements that require so much work that it would be extremely overwhelming for a single person. I don't want to say that you can't do it, but you really need to know what you are getting yourself into.

There are so many things that go into making an Action RPG. You've got to code everything, and that code includes all of the stats which judge the effect that moves have, and all these moves have to be balanced. You need to design the characters, the world, the dungeons, the weapons, the effects, anything that you can see. You need to animate everything, and since this is an Action RPG, those animations have to flow into one another. You need a wide range of music to accommodate all possible moods. You have to come up with the story, which includes all the dialog from the main story and any side quests and all of that. And that's just scratching the surface. If you want to make an Action RPG of reasonable quality, you have a ton of work to do. And if it's by yourself, it will take a very, very long time.

D

Deleted member 36435

Not to mention the other games in the genre you are competing with: Diablo and Path of Exile.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
I'm currently looking for an online programming class that I can take. I still however would like to download the rpgmaker to get an idea of how to make an rpg. Mainly because I want to make 2d games that have lots of exploration in them.

[video=youtube;VZE7kGax7Ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZE7kGax7Ds[/video]

That's kind of the style I'm looking for except I want it to be more like an rpg than a platformer. That game was made with the construct game engine which is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back