• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Want tech help? Here's some information to provide us, so we don't have to ask.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36435
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

impart

Climb The Sky
Yeah, then It was software, sometimes windows update will just fix it. im glad you got it working :)

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Oh so I have a question. Whenever I defrag my computer, the program I use always asks me if I want to fix any registry errors. I've done it before and it has speed up my computer, but I've never known what "registry" is or what fixing those errors does.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I'm looking into a cable with 2 male ends to hook up between my 3DS and my pc so that I can have the sound play on the computer. Every cable I look up ends up being one that's intended for cars with auxiliary ports for listening to one's iPod in the car. I can understand why that's the conventional use for something like this, but should a cable like that work for what I'm trying to do, or if not, could anybody recommend a type of cable/brand for making this happen?

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm looking into a cable with 2 male ends to hook up between my 3DS and my pc so that I can have the sound play on the computer. Every cable I look up ends up being one that's intended for cars with auxiliary ports for listening to one's iPod in the car. I can understand why that's the conventional use for something like this, but should a cable like that work for what I'm trying to do, or if not, could anybody recommend a type of cable/brand for making this happen?

It will work. You need something like this.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11730506/Audio_Extension_Cable.jpg

or this

http://www.casmfg.com/images/Acc_Cable.GIF

I guess there might be better ways to output audio from the 3DS but this is the simplest way to do it.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
So I've been having this problem for a few months now, ever since I got a new graphics card. I got an Nvidia GeForce GT440, and have an Intel Core i3-540 processor (3.07 GHz), 16GB of RAM (DDR3), and 64x Windows 7. Anyways, the problem exists in multiple forms, but pretty much only when I try to play games (I use Steam btw). After a while, usually about twenty minutes, one of three things will happen: the screen with turn black for about 15 seconds and then return me to my game; the screen will turn a random, dull color (usually one that is prominent in the game), then black, and then return me to my game; or the screen will do either of the two previous things, and then the game will crash. Now, when this third one happens, it will give me a number of messages, ranging from “Nvidia display driver has crashed and successfully recovered” to “~browser has encountered a problem and needs to close” (I’ve tried having Firefox, Chrome, and IE open during games, and it happens with all of them). If need be, I can try to take a picture of the messages, but it’s pretty random on which outcome will happen. The only programs I regularly use are my browser, Steam, Skype, iTunes, and my antivirus, which is ESET NOD32. Oh, and every once in a while, maybe once every two weeks, sometimes more or less, when the screen turns either colored or black, it won’t recover at all, but completely freeze on that color with a loudish buzzing noise, and the only way to get it to stop is to restart my computer. I can’t alt-tab, open task manager, and all sound and activity from games, Skype, and iTunes stop, leaving only the buzzing.

So yeah, I could really use some help:/

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that my computer got pretty hot (like 75 C) and my CPU usage shot up to 100% when I tested it with OCCT, though I'm not sure if this is representative of all of the time, because it simulates Crysis 2, and I don't play most of games on full settings, or at least they aren't as demanding as Crysis.

your graphics card is shitting the bed

Could you clarify?

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that my computer got pretty hot (like 75 C) and my CPU usage shot up to 100% when I tested it with OCCT, though I'm not sure if this is representative of all of the time, because it simulates Crysis 2, and I don't play most of games on full settings, or at least they aren't as demanding as Crysis.

Could you clarify?

From the situation you have described, there is either something wrong with your graphics card (might be hardware issue) or a heating problem. Download some program which shows the CPG + GPU temperature and see if the problems are relative to the increased heat. If that's the problem I suggest you put the PC somewhere its sides aren't covered and it gets a lot of air, opening it and cleaning it in case it has dust etc. If these don't work, you might wanna consider a cooling solution.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com

You just need a 3.5mm or 1/8inch male to male cable what is genuinely what are used for car aux ports.
example
They all pretty much work the same.
all you have to do is plug it into your computers line-in or mic input and you will be fine....

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I already have a pretty decent Desktop, it can play a lot of games at full settings (eg. Saints Row 3 runs at ultra settings, prob most high end game I have), but I think this is mostly because I have a great GPU. My CPU and RAM are... less than desired. They're not terrible, but certainly not great for things that are CPU heavy, like rendering video.

My current motherboard seems to be the main hinderance. It's far from terrible, but it doesn't allow for the i3/5/7 line processors and only allows DDR2 RAM. My current processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo Dual-core 3.0 Ghz. My current RAM is 4GB of DDR2.

The motherboard I am using does support Core 2 Quad processors, and I can get up to 16GB of RAM. So what I want to know, would upgrading my processor to this (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor, 2.40 GHz, 8M L2 Cache, LGA 775) and then adding more RAM (probably would put another set of of 2GBx2 cards like I have to put myself at 8GB), actually cause for noticeable change?

If not, my only way for getting better options on CPU and RAM would be to get a new motherboard, and at that point I'd be spending much more than I'd like.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Solution: don't buy Intel because it's overpriced.

If you search Newegg for deals, you can probably spend only a little over the price you'd pay for that CPU on a mobo, ram, and a new cpu, honestly. Victor just showed me a new mobo the other day that came with 8 GB DDR3 for free, so deals like that do exist.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Hm, so I did some searching (actually one search, this came up first and looked nice) and found this: GIGABYTE AMD GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ FX ATX Motherboard and AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six Core AM3+ Unlocked CPU and Kingston HyperX Red 8GB Memory Module and Kingston HyperX Game Coupon Bundle at TigerDirect.com

Definitely cheaper than what I was planning, and looks to also be better (assuming 6 core is better than quad core, unless quad doesn't mean 4 for some reason or if high numbers don't mean anything idk i should probably learn more about this things).

This brings me to another question though, if I get this, after putting everything together would it just work without setting up software/drivers prior? Or would I just plug in my HDD that has Windows already installed and it would just work?

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
you'll probably be fine for the HDD. you can always google compat if you're really worried.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Bictor-chan what would you recommend for an optimal desktop peecee build because you are more fluent in peecee than I am

That Muggle Geek

So I'll be starting college this fall and was looking to go ahead and buy a laptop this summer, but I need some help getting started. I don't know too much about what brands, specs, etc. are good, so I was hoping you guys could help me out by recommending me some laptops to choose from!

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Maximum budget of $700
-Small/easy to carry around
-Doesn't need to be powerful, just needs to be able to handle basic word processing, internet browsing and other simple tasks
-It doesn't need to be able to play games either, I already have a PC for that
-Writing essays and taking notes will be what this laptop is used for mainly, so a good keyboard is a must

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
So I'll be starting college this fall and was looking to go ahead and buy a laptop this summer, but I need some help getting started. I don't know too much about what brands, specs, etc. are good, so I was hoping you guys could help me out by recommending me some laptops to choose from!

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Maximum budget of $700
-Small/easy to carry around
-Doesn't need to be powerful, just needs to be able to handle basic word processing, internet browsing and other simple tasks
-It doesn't need to be able to play games either, I already have a PC for that
-Writing essays and taking notes will be what this laptop is used for mainly, so a good keyboard is a must

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Have you looked into getting a Netbook? You can usually find them for under $400 and they should be more than capable of performing all of the criteria you've listed.

Back