• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Vista Service Pack 1

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchester Black

Famous for Nothing
Awards
So, I hear it's not that great.

I heard that it really only fixes the speed at which files are copied and makes it ALMOST comparable with XP. Now, I'm not looking for a changelog or anything, I just wanna know if anyone's got it and if it's REALLY worth getting.

Manchester Black

Famous for Nothing
Awards
Yeah, but anyone can read a changelog, really. I was hoping for more of a firsthand account from people who've used it, just to see if the end user really notices anything other then copying speeds. From what I hear, no, they don't. I like to believe that's not true, but eh... It probably is.

Either way though, thanks for the links, gungon. They do help.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
I won't change to Vista until Microsoft completely dumps XP.

Yeah, but anyone can read a changelog, really. I was hoping for more of a firsthand account from people who've used it, just to see if the end user really notices anything other then copying speeds. From what I hear, no, they don't. I like to believe that's not true, but eh... It probably is.

Either way though, thanks for the links, gungon. They do help.

No problem Kyle. From what I've gathered the con's out weigh the pro's. And yet not all bugs have been fixed. Have you thought of a possible downgrade to Windows XP?

I tried to get XP. Oh, how I tried.

I hate Vista. -3- I've had it about a month and it BSoD'd me already. In three years of XP, that never happened. Not once.

I think I'll look into these if there are any others around.

<3

It shouldn't be to hard to get a copy of Windows XP SP2+? Surely?

Doctor Manhattan

Right Click, Save As
Please, consider Tiger/Leopard. It's gotten really easy to set up a "Hackintosh" [Mac OS running on a Non-Apple PC], plus no virii, most games can be run on emulator, and I can't think of a windows app that anyone wants without a mac alternative.

Or you could run something like Unbuntu, but I don't think you're a big terminal-bash-command line kind of guy.

Antiquity

Put on your courage and fly
Awards
I heard they were gonna stop support or something Windows XP sometime in the fall, so now I'll have to get Vista. My older sis says there's really no big differences (bet there are a few), but do they really need to stop supporting XP?

Doctor Manhattan

Right Click, Save As
Actually, microsoft extended XP support until '10, and now there's a big rumor Microsoft is going to stop producing vista and release Windows 7 [Longhorn] early, sometime in '09-'10.

Devious

I was one of the suckers trying out the Vista RC1 Edition. Horrible, even post-production. I'm unfortunately running a crude version of XP and so I need to either find a Linux copy or try out Leopard. I'm not the biggest fan of command-line and not necessarily savvy enough to try it at this moment and so it's going to be a hard decision. That is, until I get my Mac and wave goodbye to Microsoft and their crap.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
My friggen laptop came with Vista... its so zetta slow!(lulz) and it copies so slowly too...

Devious

What's that?

Blue Screen of Death

Vista is only really good with its security, but even then it can become a complication of searching through your advisory and allowing specific programs to be used despite the security programs that come attached. Personally, I'm a fan of the extra security screen just to make sure I'm running a program that I know is safe. It takes possibly 2 extra seconds which I don't mind.

However, the only true way to get the best out of Vista would be the Aero (and that's just a little special effect they added in for ambiance). My just avoid it if you can.

By the way, Hydrogen, can you PM me some ways to get a hold of Tiger/Leopard?

EDIT: By the way, the worst possible thing with Vista is the lack of support for any Invidia graphics cards which come with most new desktops and some new laptops. Avoid it if you can or else you will get BSoD'd every 24 - 36 hours and sent into an endless loop of them after the restart. You'll have to restore your system every time it happens. The biggest issue with this isn't the BSoD, it's the fact that Vista will say, "It's not our problem." and Invidia will follow up by saying, "Blame Microsoft, we haven't done anything wrong."

Childish and cruel to the consumer.

SunfallE

Website
sunfalle.theotaku.com
So, I hear it's not that great.

I heard that it really only fixes the speed at which files are copied and makes it ALMOST comparable with XP. Now, I'm not looking for a changelog or anything, I just wanna know if anyone's got it and if it's REALLY worth getting.
I have both, windows XP Pro on my laptop and Windows Vista Home Premium on my desktop that I bought back in September of last year.

My experience with Vista has been one of working with a system that is similar to XP only prettied up. I've had no issues with it at all in the eight months I've had it. I've grown accustomed to it and now prefer it over the XP that is installed on my laptop.

Petie

Awards
Website
www.spriters-resource.com
I have both, windows XP Pro on my laptop and Windows Vista Home Premium on my desktop that I bought back in September of last year.
This is essentially the same setup I'm running except I have Vista Ultimate on my desktop. I've had more or less the same experience. I think most people who have problems with Vista are using it on a laptop. Vista definitely does not run well on a laptop.

However, I've been using it since December of 2006 on my desktop and I have yet to have a problem with it. Yes, you do need a pretty good computer to run it well but other than that, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It even has some really nice enhancements if you're connected to a network with a domain (a vastly improved roaming profiles feature for instance).

As far as SP1 goes, I can't comment since I've been away at school since it was released and haven't had a chance to install it. Even if it doesn't address all of the concerns about Vista though, it certainly can't be making it worse.

And on a random side note: SunfallE, I had no idea you were a member here. I got pulled in here randomly by someone else a while ago. It's nice to see someone else I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back