• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Venturebeat: Why 'Pirates' is back and why it follows 'At World's End'

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

During E3, VentureBeat spoke with Kingdom Hearts creator Tetsuya Nomura about why a world based on Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was chosen to appear in Kingdom Hearts III alongside Hercules, Frozen, and Monsters Inc.

Pirate's of the Caribbean is a film franchise with five entries. The first film, The Curse of the Black Pearl, was originally featured in Kingdom Hearts II which makes its appearance in Kingdom Hearts III the second returning world.

“It’s not that we’ve been avoiding the reappearance of worlds from our previous titles,” Nomura told me. “They are reappearing as necessary. But for Kingdom Hearts III, one of our ideas or concepts was to try to have as many new worlds as possible. At the same time, I’ve always wanted to have at least one live-action world in Kingdom Hearts III. When we were looking at all these different live action titles, Pirates of Caribbean was one of the most interesting worlds, one that we thought we could create interesting gameplay around. There’s the underwater action and the ships. You can even be airborne. It covers land, sea, and air. I thought that would be a great opportunity, to use the Pirates of the Caribbean world.”

“Another reason was, because we wanted to have more realistic characters in the live action worlds — even more realistic than before — we thought that the Pirates of the Caribbean characters were unique enough in their details that we’d be able to re-create it as closely as possible with computer graphics.”

But how come Square Enix decided to skip over the second film in the Pirates franchise, Dead Man's Chest in favour of the third film?

“When you look at Dead Man’s Chest and At World’s End, one is the setup for the other,” Nomura continued. “If we went with the second movie, then the story kind of ends in the middle. It doesn’t really make sense for us, because we’d have to end it in the middle as well. With At World’s End, I felt like there’s more dynamic action to it. Just looking at it from that perspective, it’s a better fit. I also wanted to show the battle with Davey Jones and make it as dynamic as possible, and to do that it had to be the third movie. It was just an easier fit overall.”

The confirmation of a Davy Jones battle as well as more dynamic action in this world is sure to make fans thrilled.

Thanks to Zip.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts III, The World Ends With You and all things Kingdom Hearts!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Re: Venturebeat: Why 'Pirates' is back and why it follows 'At World's End'

That..actually makes sense. I might need to watch both before the game comes out out of curiosity (at least we got Netflix back)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I wonder if a Kraken boss fight is still possible. If Luxord is replacing Cutler then the Kraken could still be alive.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

I wonder if a Kraken boss fight is still possible. If Luxord is replacing Cutler then the Kraken could still be alive.

I could definitely see a Heartless version of the fight still happening.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards

I like that I get to keep adding more and more movies to my "Watch alongside Kingdom Hearts" list. Plus, the third movie was way better than the second, I'm glad Barbosa is back (he's my favorite character because he cares so much more about his crew and he wasn't really the villain in the first movie IMO they just wanted to be normal again, but it was even better in 4 when he used poison dart frog venom omg that was so cool) and the situations in 3 were a lot more action oriented as well. This was a rather unexpected but welcome inclusion. I don't like seeing Will and Elizabeth again though.

KeyToDestiny

Awards

Tbh World's End makes more sense with the narrative KH3 is trying to portray than Dead Man's Chest so I was honestly fine with their decision to skip the second movie in favor of the third.

UltimaXOmega

Davy Jones boss? F*** Yeah. Hopefully this means Zurg is also in.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I thought they coulda just combined them and changed around the plot to work in a shorter time but yea them skipping the middle is also fine. I am curious how SDG will enter the plot, and at what point. And of course, what deviates from it. I already noticed that big jungle like area that I don't really recall from the third movie, but rather the second. Also clearly whatever Luxord and that big Heartless are doing lol.

He just confirmed Davy Jones fight y'all, hell yea! I am excited to see what he looks like.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I thought they coulda just combined them and changed around the plot to work in a shorter time but yea them skipping the middle is also fine. I am curious how SDG will enter the plot, and at what point. And of course, what deviates from it. I already noticed that big jungle like area that I don't really recall from the third movie, but rather the second. Also clearly whatever Luxord and that big Heartless are doing lol.

He just confirmed Davy Jones fight y'all, hell yea! I am excited to see what he looks like.

From what we saw in the trailer, SDG were crossing the sea of lost souls. Which means they should come across an insane Jack in Davy Jones' locker.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards

From what we saw in the trailer, SDG were crossing the sea of lost souls. Which means they should come across an insane Jack in Davy Jones' locker.

I NEED insane Jack in my party...

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

I definitely hope there's a Heartless Kraken boss, omfg.

But the confirmation of the Davy Jones fight is very exciting. Can you guys imagine what that final fight from the movie with the ships battling in the maelstrom will look like in these graphics and actually getting to PLAY through that? I used to imagine that as a kid, thinking if Pirates ever returned in a future game we could have that boss fight happen and there could be a Reaction Command that lets you jump between the different ships in the middle of the giant whirlpool. But now RCs are mostly dead, so we could actually jump between ships OURSELVES rather than just pushing Triangle. Oh my God, I need it.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

Davy Jones boss? F*** Yeah.
I know right, I'm so glad Nomura didn't pull a CLU on Davy Jones. Now, all we need is a boss fight for Randall and Hans.

and if you don't know who/what CLU is This is CLU the main villain from Tron: Legacy and an antagonist from the Grid in Dream Drop Distance:
maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

I am so happy that Nomura didn't pull a CLU on Davy Jones and we get to actually fight him as Boss. Curious to see how they would make the Boss fight work because in the film Jack and Jones were dueling on the rigging of the Flying Dutchman so not sure how Sora, Donald and Goofy will fight Jones on the Ship Rigging unless they get to fight him on the Main Deck of the Flying Dutchman itself.
[video=youtube;RiQ1k_NoCAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQ1k_NoCAw[/video]

Also, It just came to my attention that the Japanese voice actor for Davy Jones in the Japanese dubs for Dead Man's Chest and At World's End also voiced Braig/Xigbar so mind-blowing for me.
giphy.gif

Also, I concur with why Nomura chose At World's End over Dead Man's Chest since the former fits with the narrative plot of KH3 and the latter had the film ending on a cliffhanger when the Kraken drags Jack Sparrow and the Black Pearl to Davy Jones' Locker.

Looks to be the case. Imagine how SDG would react when they see the other Souls of the Dead in Davy Jones' Locker (shudders).
[video=youtube;9o3riOOr74w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o3riOOr74w[/video]

But the confirmation of the Davy Jones fight is very exciting. Can you guys imagine what that final fight from the movie with the ships battling in the maelstrom will look like in these graphics and actually getting to PLAY through that? I used to imagine that as a kid, thinking if Pirates ever returned in a future game we could have that boss fight happen and there could be a Reaction Command that lets you jump between the different ships in the middle of the giant whirlpool.
I'm just happy Nomura didn't pull a CLU on Davy Jones, as for the fight in the Maelstrom in KHIII I also had the same thoughts as you did prior to the worlds official return in III.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Pirates 3 lending itself more to the plot of Kingdom Hearts, and being more action packed, was certainly something I thought of last week during the Easy Allies discussion. It's good to see the reason why Nomura chose it was because there was more to do and it'll be more of a complete world rather than ending on a cliff hanger or merging two film plots together.

I am extremely worried about the game's performance in the Pirates world on base PS4. What we've seen looks like it could be really taxing, and the Maelstrom fight with Davy Jones is really going to be pushing everything to the limits. Considering that's all for a Disney world I am extremely cautious about further worlds and battles and how they will run.

I can't wait for the Pro edition to go up for pre-order, but of course it comes with KH3 so it won't be something we will have access to before January 29th. If I somehow get my hands on an early copy, then I really fear for my PlayStation 4. Please keep yourself together <3

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Re: Venturebeat: Why &#039;Pirates&#039; is back and why it follows &#039;At World&#039;s End&#039;

Pirates 3 lending itself more to the plot of Kingdom Hearts, and being more action packed, was certainly something I thought of last week during the Easy Allies discussion. It's good to see the reason why Nomura chose it was because there was more to do and it'll be more of a complete world rather than ending on a cliff hanger or merging two film plots together.

I am extremely worried about the game's performance in the Pirates world on base PS4. What we've seen looks like it could be really taxing, and the Maelstrom fight with Davy Jones is really going to be pushing everything to the limits. Considering that's all for a Disney world I am extremely cautious about further worlds and battles and how they will run.

I can't wait for the Pro edition to go up for pre-order, but of course it comes with KH3 so it won't be something we will have access to before January 29th. If I somehow get my hands on an early copy, then I really fear for my PlayStation 4. Please keep yourself together <3

What I want to know is, if the Back Cover Box is apparently replacing the Dead Man's Chest in the world, then what does that mean for Davy Jones? What is his interest in the box if it's no longer his own heart that he's defending? I'm very curious on this. I think it was cool of Nomura to make such a narrative change, but I also wonder how the rest of the plot elements will be adjusted to compensate.

Also, this is precisely why I got a PS4 Pro, specifically to have the smoothest possible experience with KH3 (aside from buying an Xbox One X of course). I'm sure the base PS4 will run it decently, but I don't want to be worried about frame drops and other things breaking the immersion. Playing 0.2 on the Pro proved that it was worth it as well, as the game runs so much more smoothly and looks crisper as well.

Not to mention Shadow of the Colossus in 60fps? That alone was also worth it to upgrade to the Pro. Highly recommend.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Re: Venturebeat: Why &#039;Pirates&#039; is back and why it follows &#039;At World&#039;s End&#039;

Davy Jones boss? F*** Yeah. Hopefully this means Zurg is also in.

I dunno, Stinky Pete could also be the Toy Story antagonist for Toy Box. He could have found a way to escape from his owner because they're in the alternate dimension.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

I just hope KH3 doesn't make my pro really loud.

kingsoraful

Awards

There was a massive jungle on the island where they go and realize the Kraken was killed. It's the scene where Barbossa tells Jack they have to go to Shipwreck Cove.

Megavoltage

Awards

Oh, no! It just dawned on me. By skipping the second movie we're skipping the jar of dirt scenes. Cancel KH3, I don't even want it anymore.

The Dark Mamba

Awards

Ah, my ultimate KH3 dream to see them use Pirates 2 & 3. With no second visits it makes sense to use At World's End. It's personally my favorite Pirate film anyways.

I never had any doubt we'd be getting Davy Jones even though he wasn't in trailer. I'm just interested in how many cuts there's gonna be to the story cuz there's no way they can cover all of At World's End.

Michael Mario

I dunno, Stinky Pete could also be the Toy Story antagonist for Toy Box. He could have found a way to escape from his owner because they're in the alternate dimension.

Actually, probably not. In an interview posted on the official Toy Story 2 website after the release of the film, he said that he's come to actually like being drawn on and is happy with his new life. The reason he was a bad guy in the film was a combination of envy over never being sold to be played with by a child, and a desperation for some kind of fulfillment by being a part of a museum collection. Now he has what he originally wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back