• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Venturebeat: Why 'Pirates' is back and why it follows 'At World's End'

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Venturebeat: Why 'Pirates' is back and why it follows 'At World's End'

Nomura called it a mid-level boss for Olympus. Don't be put off by the small HP bar. We know that the Rock Titan has to be defeated by breaking both legs, and then smashing the head. The HP bar in images might be for the shield which needs to be destroyed before you can harm the body.

Did any attack from Sora actually damage the Rock Troll? Other enemies in the trailer were getting injured, but I can't recall if the Rock Troll was getting injured, either through the shield or regularly. Might need some special attack to actually inflict damage.

Oh did he? Then yea maybe it has multiple targetable spots or a gimmick. I don't think we have seen it get hurt, only it hurting Sora lol.

Perkilator

Awards

Good choice on Nomura's end; it's worth noting that At World's End also uses rebirth as a trope, so it's likely Sora will understand a little more what it means to be a savior by coming to save Jack. First, though, someone has to break the news to Sora (both Jack and ​Barbossa).
"News"? You mean Barbossa not being evil anymore?

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

I wonder if this will be our last romp in Port Royal. POTC is still popular but it kind of lost momentum with the fourth movie and onward, I wonder if the other films will be used in future games because of that.

I wouldn't be mad if this were the last time we see PoTC in the series, considering how lame the movies became after the first three. There's a wealth of live action films to pull from in the future that I think would be exciting - A Wrinkle in Time, Holes, Haunted Mansion, Oz the Great and Powerful, Narnia, The Muppets, National Treasure, Alice in Wonderland - to name a few. I'm sure there's some copy right stuff to work out with some of them but it's not like they haven't done so before.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards

Dead Men Tell No Tales has some solid locations and villains so it would make for another solid return to the Caribbean. (Salazar, sharks, the town from the opening, the devil's triangle) Keep in mind POTC 4 & 5 take place like 20 years after At World's End so a major time skip would be in order depending on what the next KH saga actually is.
Which is exactly wha I said earlier, in the post-credit scene of At World's End it flashes forward to a decade later with Elizabeth and Will having a son named Henry Turner (who is one of the supporting protagonists of the 5th movie, Dead Men Tell No Tales) and the timelines for the 4th and 5th films take place during the 1750's two decades after the events of the 3rd movie.
[video=youtube;9Vd7tdh-vl8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vd7tdh-vl8[/video]

I wouldn't be mad if this were the last time we see PoTC in the series, considering how lame the movies became after the first three. There's a wealth of live action films to pull from in the future that I think would be exciting - A Wrinkle in Time, Holes, Haunted Mansion, Oz the Great and Powerful, Narnia, The Muppets, National Treasure, Alice in Wonderland - to name a few. I'm sure there's some copy right stuff to work out with some of them but it's not like they haven't done so before.
I'm not expecting Holes, Narnia, James and the Giant Peach, BFG, John Carter, and Wrinkle in Time in any future games due to the fact they are film adaptations based on books and that requires having Nomura and his team to ask permission not just from Disney but also the authors of the book and the estate (the family/relatives of the authors (e.g. Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle)) which I don't think they will be pleased nor will they allow SDG in the worlds based on the film adaptations inspired on the author's work, most particularly the Dahl family. The former looks to be unlikely given that there isn't any fantasy elements in the film, despite having some supernatural dangers (e.g. Yellow-Spotted Lizards) and while both John Carter and Wrinkle do have fantastic visuals and environments from the films that will make fantastic KH levels, none of these films did well at the Box Office which makes there chances of appearing unlikely.

I'm Not sure on how The Muppets, and National Treasure will work with Kingdom Hearts, especially the latter as it doesn't have the fantasy sci-fi elements that Pirates and Tron had.

Tomorrowland and Lone Ranger much like John Carter and Wrinkle, none of these films did well at the box office, so don't count on them

I think the most likely live-action films that could be worlds I could see appearing in a future game or III (depending if Nomura might add one besides Pirates) are Oz: the Great and Powerful, the 2010 Alice in Wonderland film, and Black Hole, of course, I see the 2010 Alice in Wonderland film unlikely given that it would contradict the animated version of Alice in Wonderland and the world itself, but giving Nomura saying it's his favorite film, you may never know.

Also the upcoming Nutcracker and the Four Realms movie coming out this November would be a nice new live-action world level for a future Kingdom Hearts game.

Last edited:

Megavoltage

Awards

I see The Muppets being the new Hundred Acre Woods. No real danger or monsters. This world would be comfy and the characters just do silly mini games together. Because just like Pooh I can't see Kermit getting involved with fighting shadow monsters or apocalypse cults.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

But it looks very video game friendly in terms of setting and characters.
Definitely.

The good thing is that with the positive change in level design starting with 3D and continuing into KH3, I can mostly ignore the characters/plot of a world I don’t understand and enjoy the environment and enemies anyway. I learned that from The Grid. I had no idea about anything that was going on except that Rinzler was supposed to be TRON (or something???) and was bored out of my mind, but the world itself was still pretty fun to play around in.

I see The Muppets being the new Hundred Acre Woods. No real danger or monsters. This world would be comfy and the characters just do silly mini games together. Because just like Pooh I can't see Kermit getting involved with fighting shadow monsters or apocalypse cults.
Oh, I would LOVE this. If PIXAR's going to be in KH, then we might as well let in The Muppets, too. That said, I'd like other Disney films that would be difficult to translate into battle-ready worlds (like Dumbo, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, etc.) at least be used as minigame worlds at some point in time.

Last edited:

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

I would love that. Partly because I'm kind of over 100 Acre Woods and because the Muppets are an amazing, iconic property.

Definitely.

The good thing is that with the positive change in level design starting with 3D and continuing into KH3, I can mostly ignore the characters/plot of a world I don’t understand and enjoy the environment and enemies anyway. I learned that from The Grid. I had no idea about anything that was going on except that Rinzler was supposed to be TRON (or something???) and was bored out of my mind, but the world itself was still pretty fun to play around in.

I'm replaying DDD right now and I feel this. I'd never seen the original Tron before but the world in KHII was a success for me because of how well they implemented it into the main plot. But whewww was The Grid a slog to get through plot-wise in DDD. I had no idea what was going on and could not bring myself to care.

To bring things back to PotC, I'm glad that it looks like the scenario writers are putting more effort into combining the KHIII story with the story of the film. Port Royal kind of flopped for me in KHII because it was a boring retread of the first movie but with a bad Johnny Depp impersonator.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

But how can The Muppets be integrated naturally? all of the Live Action properties were compatible in Kingdom Hearts because they were based in their own encapsulated fantasy. The Puppets is as opposite of Kingdom Hearts as you can get, the characters themselves are a suspension of disbelief.

I'm all for The Muppets, it's just a question about the properties integration.

sephydark

Awards

I had no idea about anything that was going on except that Rinzler was supposed to be TRON (or something???) and was bored out of my mind, but the world itself was still pretty fun to play around in.

To be fair, that was pretty much my experience with watching TRON Legacy, speaking as someone who liked the original TRON.

But I agree with your main point; it's a lot better if worlds are fun even for people who aren't familiar with the original film and KH hasn't always hit that mark. I haven't seen Alice in Wonderland, for example, and the various games have varied quite a bit in how much I liked their Wonderland worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back