• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Vanitas Unmasked (Obvious spoiler here, folks)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maian

When I found out Vanitas' true identity, I became really intrigued with him as a character (even moreso than before), and decided to draw this. It's a far cry from my usual style, which is usually very hard, rough, and sketchy. What I'm going for here is a replication of Nomura's style, so all the lines are very crisp and clean, as will be the coloring. I'm gonna have a go at coloring it soon with Corel Painter and my tablet, and I hope for a look that mirror's Nomura's own. It's a pretty boring pose, but it kind of just turned into that with my paper space. I may end up adding traces of his keyblade or something, who knows. But hey, opinions on it thus far?

Vanitas Unmasked

EDIT: Dear lord, that's a massive picture. I had no idea it was that big. Just uh, be prepared for that.

And uh, while I'm in my photobucket, I might as well throw in this work in progress of Big Boss. ;o Note that for whatever reason the quality was severely lessened when I saved it, and the coloring is jacked up since I kept switching styles until I found one I liked, and there's also a bunch of experimental shading in there, since I'm still learning the ins and outs of tablet/Painter coloring.

Big Boss

Last edited:

maian

Haha, thanks. I'm hoping the badass factor will go up when I color it, since I still see Sora at the moment. :X

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
That is a very good drawing. I love how you drew his face~

Kiwi +

Push Ethan Page!
Awards
That's a pretty awesome drawing!..So that's what he looks like.. *first time seeing him* :O

Beyer

That is a very good drawing, really captures a serious side of Vanitas.
I can only think 'What is he scheming now?' when I look at that picture. There seems to be a hint of anger there as well
I love it!

maian

Thanks guys. :) I'm in the process of digitally coloring it right now. And yeah, I took a picture to upload it. No scanner. =/ But hey, here's my coloring progress if anyone's interested:

It's still not close to done, but I'm liking the way it's turning out!

vanitascolorunfinished.jpg

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
Thanks guys. :) I'm in the process of digitally coloring it right now. And yeah, I took a picture to upload it. No scanner. =/ But hey, here's my coloring progress if anyone's interested:

It's still not close to done, but I'm liking the way it's turning out!

vanitascolorunfinished.jpg

Wow, the coloring version is even better! <3

maian

Thanks guys! =D It's usually pretty hard to get responses on art threads, so I really appreciate all the input. Anyway, I'm planning on finishing him probably sometime today. I've begun to shade his suit to have 3Dish lighting effects and such, and his face and definitely hair need work. Slap a background on it, and this might actually be the first picture I actually finish with a tablet!

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
With or without a background it's still a very decent piece of art. I'd really like to see it look 3D-ish, so go for it! :)

maian

Ha, I don't know if 3Dish is really the right term. Just, idk, realistic shading? Ultimately I'm just trying to mimic Nomura's style. His style slightly varies with each game, so I'll say in this one, I'm going for his KH2 art look. I can already say I've failed as far as outlining goes. Tracing perfect lines is much harder than you'd think! Nomura and comic book artists must have a ton of patience. The background right now, if you can tell, is just the paper that I sketched on. I actually think it goes aesthetically well with the rest of the picture. I might so a background of similar color, or even just keep it the way it is.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
I like the face, and the chin-armor goes around nicely. I just think the torso might be too thin, or maybe some lines are wrong. Neck up is spot on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back