• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Vanitas' Novel Backstory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
I don’t normally translate content from the novels, but I wanted to share this because it seemed a lot of fans misconceived the meaning of “Reconnect to Kingdom Hearts” when it displayed at the end of Birth by Sleep. The inclusion of these scenes from Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix as the final chapter of the Birth by Sleep novel emphasizes the intention to go replay the old games and see how they connect rather than trying to instigate a new game title.

Wow thats an interesting footnote. Pretty good advice. And its advice that people should really follow

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wow thats an interesting footnote. Pretty good advice. And its advice that people should really follow

It seems like BBSv2 is going to be the bridge ('reconnection') between BBS and KH1 anyway, so I guess people can take it how they want.

That would have been nice, Xion going evil.

It would have made it more interesting, but then again, it would have become a copy of the Riku Replica's story... not that anything about Xion isn't already 'been there done that' :p

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
That makes me really question why replica riku isnt on the torment saving list.

Storytheme-wise I would assume it has to do with that, unlike Xion, Repliku has no tight connection to a heart that could bring him back.
TAV, Naminé, Roxas and Xion are tightly connected to a heart or even living inside a heart (the last three and to a degree also Ven), doesn't seem like Repliku has this.
Reality-wise one might think that Nomura and his team either just forgot him or there are still surprises to await...just as maybe with Vanitas, as we don't know his actual status if he isn't fully destroyed.

Remember, Ansem the Wise is also not on the "official" to save list and yet he's still around...heck, the same thing may even hold true in some regard to Eraqus.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
Well, the Reverse/Rebirth novel (look for them in the index here) has Riku Replica's back story :3

Umm what else. The Days novels has extra stuff about what Xion did when she ran away with Riku... that's not really back story though.

Man this makes me want to hurry up and get these BBS novels done. Almost finished chapter 1 of book 1, so much left to go ;A;/

Oh, well then we should definitely remind the front page staff to post it if you finish it. ;D

Radar

Bronze Member
Oh, well then we should definitely remind the front page staff to post it if you finish it. ;D

Yes. For sure. Definatly. Please do. I believe ME will somehow have to be saved, and I understand why Repliku is not on the list, I just think his charecter was overlooked over-all in the series. He just seems to have the most angst in him besides Vanitas. And please, Goldplanner, I would love to see his backstory in the novel..

Zul

Awards
Yes. For sure. Definatly. Please do. I believe ME will somehow have to be saved, and I understand why Repliku is not on the list, I just think his charecter was overlooked over-all in the series. He just seems to have the most angst in him besides Vanitas.

Take into consideration Riku's last line, "his heart will go to the same place as mine". That might indicate he really isn't in torment and is considered a real heart, as data Sora's heart supposedly became real.

And please, Goldplanner, I would love to see his backstory in the novel..

Gold Planner

Planner
goodman01_Duck_Cover-002.jpg

Radar

Bronze Member
Take into consideration Riku's last line, "his heart will go to the same place as mine". That might indicate he really isn't in torment and is considered a real heart, as data Sora's heart supposedly became real.

goodman01_Duck_Cover-002.jpg
Damn Ive made that mistake before with the name. my bad.

wangyin

Seriously this bastard wiped out his child hood friend, Eraqus, not owning any remorse. Possessed Terra and positioned him through God only understands what torture using the complete Xemnas and XH seperation thing. Screwed Ven up. made Vanitas in to the villain he started to be in BBS. Was indirectly accountable for Aqua getting trapped inside the dim realm. As apprentice Xehanort he ruined Ansem's name, destroyed his kingdom, getting a heartless destroyed countless worlds and lives, getting a nobody he screwed up Roxas, Axel, and Xion's friendship. to not mention screwing up Riku and make him all emo through the finish off of KH1 until the finish off of KH2. And consistently has Sora owning to go on an adventure that ends up with him stoping Xehanort's bad plans.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
-strokes beard- Well, if I were MX I'd say this: "Stepping on a few toes was required to try and make the entire universe balanced. Vanitas was pure Darkness; a monster. Nothing more."

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Seriously this bastard wiped out his child hood friend, Eraqus, not owning any remorse. Possessed Terra and positioned him through God only understands what torture using the complete Xemnas and XH seperation thing. Screwed Ven up. made Vanitas in to the villain he started to be in BBS. Was indirectly accountable for Aqua getting trapped inside the dim realm. As apprentice Xehanort he ruined Ansem's name, destroyed his kingdom, getting a heartless destroyed countless worlds and lives, getting a nobody he screwed up Roxas, Axel, and Xion's friendship. to not mention screwing up Riku and make him all emo through the finish off of KH1 until the finish off of KH2. And consistently has Sora owning to go on an adventure that ends up with him stoping Xehanort's bad plans.

If MX didn't do that shit, then you wouldn't love it near as much as you do now. (if you do) If not, then completely disregard this post, I'm an idiot. :p

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Lol, nonetheless...I would say that MX did way more than just "stepping on a few toes" when looking around just how much pain he inflicted and how many existences he screwed up so badly.
And I never bought that "bring balance to the universe bit", it was just a lie to ensnare Terra. Destroying the entire universe, become a god-like being and rule over all hearts is not bringing balance.

Not to mention the geezer often has a gleeful grin when seeing others suffer or is just indifferent, that uncaring bastard.
When I first played BBS I seriously wished I could have jumped in and falcon punch MX away when he ripped Kid-Ven's heart out and cut it.
---

Still...one really bad-ass villain one loves to hate, LMAO.
Definitely a worthy main villain!

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
This guy is stronger than anyone I’ve faced before. I can’t think about it right now!
Pushing himself to the limit of his abilities, Sora mustered all his strength and fought against this man.
Who knows how long their battle went on, eventually the man stopped moving suddenly.
The man in armor stared at Sora, and spoke once more in a deep voice.
“I see… Your strength… What I felt from you…”
And slowly the armor ceased movement.
Now that was awesome and Sora held his own pretty damn well <3.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Not to mention the geezer often has a gleeful grin when seeing others suffer or is just indifferent, that uncaring bastard.

Yeah, I don't get the sympathetic interpretations of Master Xehanort when the man is so obviously a sadist (and quite possibly the Freudian sort, at that x_x). Vanitas is, too, but considering what he is he probably doesn't have any choice in the matter, so it's possible to feel bad for his circumstances while still thinking he's a terrible person.

It's simply impossible for anyone to be a Well-Intentioned Extremist when they take so much pleasure from their innocent victims' helplessness. =/

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, I don't get the sympathetic interpretations of Master Xehanort when the man is so obviously a sadist (and quite possibly the Freudian sort, at that x_x). Vanitas is, too, but considering what he is he probably doesn't have any choice in the matter, so it's possible to feel bad for his circumstances while still thinking he's a terrible person.

It's simply impossible for anyone to be a Well-Intentioned Extremist when they take so much pleasure from their innocent victims' helplessness. =/

Lol, I'm not sympathetic to MX. The man is a bastard. That is why I like him so much. (justifying my view) It it clearly obvious the man is doing everything for himself because he wants to become some kind of god. He's ruined a ton of lives attempting to reach his goals; Entire worlds destroyed because he needed them to fulfill a purpose in the grand scheme.

But I don't think MX was all that bad in the beginning. His curiosity and desire for knowledge warped into a desire for control and reorder so he could understand what the end results of the Keyblade War would have been if anybody has succeeded.

Vanitas deserves our sympathy, though. He was made into the monster we see him as in BBS by MX. Sure, he did things we can hate him over, but in the end he was just a child looking for something to complete him.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

100% agreement on this...MX is an sadist...and a pretty damn good one at that combined with a wickedness and cleverness that makes him truly the main villain.

Ethnic Woman said:
Lol, I'm not sympathetic to MX. The man is a bastard. That is why I like him so much. (justifying my view) It it clearly obvious the man is doing everything for himself because he wants to become some kind of god. He's ruined a ton of lives attempting to reach his goals; Entire worlds destroyed because he needed them to fulfill a purpose in the grand scheme.

But I don't think MX was all that bad in the beginning. His curiosity and desire for knowledge warped into a desire for control and reorder so he could understand what the end results of the Keyblade War would have been if anybody has succeeded.

Vanitas deserves our sympathy, though. He was made into the monster we see him as in BBS by MX. Sure, he did things we can hate him over, but in the end he was just a child looking for something to complete him.

Just to get that straight...I like MX only as the personification of the big bad in KH, his actions and goals I despise with all my heart and I will gleefully beat the crap out of him when KH 3 finally comes around.
Not to mention he still has two games left to cause even more pain and suffering!

Yen Sid has also immense knowledge and he didn't become a warped asshole, lol.

Vanitas in a slightly other story, true, I can't deny that after reading that summary I feel a certain degree of sympathy for him...although there's no question that my feelings for the torments and fates of Ven, Terra, Roxas, Xion and Repliku are still on a higher level than Vanitas's.
Still...as brutal as it may sound, even Vani's hardly suppressable urge to hurt Ventus whenever possible and also inflict as much pain on others could be just his way of making his own pain bearable. He can only endure it if others suffer even more than he does.
Nonetheless his actions are still despisable...and I would say that people like Eraqus and Aqua would surely not hesitate to destroy him.
Terra...well...there is that "you hurt my baby brother Ven"-button which makes him go nuts as well, lol.

Huh? From what I read in that summary Vanitas was more looking for a meaning in his life and to gain also access to light and positive feelings.
As he essentially had a newborn heart he was complete...at least more complete than a nobody...*ggg*.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just to get that straight...I like MX only as the personification of the big bad in KH, his actions and goals I despise with all my heart and I will gleefully beat the crap out of him when KH 3 finally comes around.
Not to mention he still has two games left to cause even more pain and suffering!

I'll also beat up MX with a grin because the man who caused all of the mess in the KH universe will be gone. Doesn't mean I can't like the way his mind works. I generally enjoy the "byronic hero" type characters more than the villain, but MX is pretty intriguing.

Yen Sid has also immense knowledge and he didn't become a warped asshole, lol.

Like you said, he has the knowledge. Master Xehanort doesn't (or didn't).

I wouldn't try to compare the two, though. Many people have different methods of searching for knowledge, and what they want to do with that knowledge. Say we are both studying Psychology in college. We will both have the same degree with we graduate, but only one thing will be different. Your concentration is in Child Development, while mine will be in Media Research. We might both be Psychologists, but we don't want to do the same things.

Huh? From what I read in that summary Vanitas was more looking for a meaning in his life and to gain also access to light and positive feelings.
As he essentially had a newborn heart he was complete...at least more complete than a nobody...*ggg*.

Not really...he was still half of a heart, like Ventus was. I agree that he was searching for salvation, but the only way to accomplish that was to "truly unite with Ventus". If he was searching for the Light and positive feelings, I read that as wanting to be complete.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'll also beat up MX with a grin because the man who caused all of the mess in the KH universe will be gone. Doesn't mean I can't like the way his mind works. I generally enjoy the "byronic hero" type characters more than the villain, but MX is pretty intriguing.
Teheh...they better make a real epic showdown in six phases or so without too much easy reaction commands.
I admit that MX is a really clever and manipulative guy with a sophisticated mind (like Emperor Palpatine, lol), a good example of the "evil mastermind"-type.
As a "Byronic hero"-type I would rather put Lelouch from Code Geass, who is a bit ambigious but never a sadistic prick who relishes in torturing children like MX does.

Like you said, he has the knowledge. Master Xehanort doesn't (or didn't).

I wouldn't try to compare the two, though. Many people have different methods of searching for knowledge, and what they want to do with that knowledge. Say we are both studying Psychology in college. We will both have the same degree with we graduate, but only one thing will be different. Your concentration is in Child Development, while mine will be in Media Research. We might both be Psychologists, but we don't want to do the same things.
Sure sure, I would also not deny that Xehanort in his younger years really had sincere goals and the balance might have been his passion, but that is long gone by the time we first come to know of him.

Not really...he was still half of a heart, like Ventus was. I agree that he was searching for salvation, but the only way to accomplish that was to "truly unite with Ventus". If he was searching for the Light and positive feelings, I read that as wanting to be complete.

See, and that is one thing I never really get...as it is stated that to forge the x-blade you need two hearts, not two halves of one heart (not to mention Vanitas's "piece" of Ven's heart which formed the core of his heart is smaller than half, indicated by the chunk ripped out of Ven's awakening station in the BBS prologue).
The only way according to MX...who is soo known for always saying the truth, lol. In the end both Ven and Vani would have been chained to the x-blade, as their hearts are the base for it...and MX would have wielded it.
Also, when Vanitas felt Sora healing Ven's heart he notices that this heart was a newborn one just like his.

The wording is really somewhat iffy especially when there's also often the mention of Vanitas's heart, as he really has a fully functionable one.
But idk, maybe there is just more than one meaning and as an non-native English speaker I'm just too stupid to realize it. *ggg*.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Sure sure, I would also not deny that Xehanort in his younger years really had sincere goals and the balance might have been his passion, but that is long gone by the time we first come to know of him.

I'm not really sure I like the idea that Young Xehanort was ever legitimately good; I don't think it's possible to become "a sadistic prick who relishes in torturing children" without having something seriously wrong there in the first place.

It's not like this is Star Wars where using the darkness inherently destroys your sense of morality; Dark Riku might have wanted revenge on Sora for perceived slights, but he never actually seemed to enjoy hurting people.

I'd have a much easier time believing that Xehanort really did just jump off the slippery slope due to his desire for knowledge if his most heinous deeds were done with a detached scientific coldness; unless we're assuming a level of motive decay that doesn't exist for anyone else, Xehanort's gleeful manner when he coerces and controls Terra suggests that having power over others is something he relishes even more than the knowledge itself.

Zul

Awards
Was there any sort of confirmation as to whether this was just a fanfic lie or a real part of the novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back