• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Vanitas Identity

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 60399

He could be anybody. God, why does Nomura gives us so many questions and so little anwers?!

Dcasd1

because we give him ideas to some of the things he doesn't even know about the game.

Gram

Banned
Awards
its a good theory, until omnichoas thread raped it anyway. :p

Allister Rose

French Lover
I hope Vanitas doesnt end up being another character who lacks originality, he already has far too many riku resemblance,

Oathkeeper512

I think I thought of something truly briliant, Vanitas has nothing to do with our heroes, meaning hes not connected to any of them other than him being a villan.

I think i believe that earlier postings showed that his name could roughly be translated into Vanity correct? Well think about it what are most mad man after immortality! Vanitas is not an Unversed of Ven or anything like that he is merely a clone of Xehanort, a "YOUNGER" version of him self, he wants to be come imortal instead of aging and becoming a decrepit old man, hence where "Vanity" comes in. If you watch any of the trailers with them together they walk with the same stature and hold there bodies identically! This is how we end up with the younger Xehanort in KH 1 & 2 he is merely a replica of Xehanort himself, and after his master and him are beaten he loses his memories, MX obviously dies and he carries on his legacy!

Flame all you want but the connections are there, maybe im wrong wont know till the game comes out thats fine with me but it struck me like a bolt of lightning just like my theory as to why Roxas was Soras Nobody before KH2 came out.

Oh and if this has been thought of before close the thread :p

Ehh... i dont like this theory. I'm a believer of Terra becoming the Xehanort we see in KH/KH2. U could be right though it does seem like a very logical theory..

Gram

Banned
Awards
I hope Vanitas doesnt end up being another character who lacks originality, he already has far too many riku resemblance,
then i'd prepare to be disappointed, just in case XD

Like Anagram said
:p i was quoted

OmniChaos poked it full of holes.
picture.php

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
It makes a bit of sense, except how could Vanitas grow to about 30 years old in two years? Unless you want to suggest that he's about 28 in BbS.

Vanitas really can't be Xehanort.

Edit: Wow, I didn't see OmniChaos' post...

Last edited:
Awards
I'm sorry but am I the only one that thinks xemnas and MX look the same in the face? Take away the hair and you can MX.

Vanitas~

Someone previously stated that Vanitas and Ventus sound similar and that Vanitas means emptiness. Also, like so many previously posted, he has too many characteristics in common with Riku:
1- His outfit looks like Riku when he's in Dark Aura mode
2- His keyblade has 'eyes' on it. Only Soul Eater is like this, and on top of that, the eyes are virtually identical in size, shape, design, and color.
3- He does, from my interpretation, have a similar fighting style to Riku, albeit only a small one.
4- He has some MAJOR connection to Ven, while Riku has a MAJOR relationship to Sora. Remember: Roxas looks and sounds like Ven. Big connector there. Also, a little event in Days is another thing tying Ven to Sora.

TredCRS

Your wrong, the word "Vanitas" is roughly translated into emptiness in latin and was chosen for its similar look/sound to "Ventus" stated by Nomura in an interview I believe. If he had nothing to do with the heroes or Ven at least, Nomura would not have said he chose the name Vanitas because of its meaning and similarities to Ventus.
In the arts, vanitas is a type of symbolicSymbol

A symbol is something such as an entity, picture, written word, sound, or particular mark that represents something else by association, resemblance, or convention....
still lifeStill life

A still life is a work of art depicting mostly inanimate subject matter, typically commonplace objects which may be either natural or man-made in an artificial setting....
paintingPainting

Painting is the practice of applying paint, pigment, color or other medium to a surface . In art, the term describes both the act and the result, which is called a painting....
commonly executed by Northern European painterPainting

Painting is the practice of applying paint, pigment, color or other medium to a surface . In art, the term describes both the act and the result, which is called a painting....
s in FlandersFlanders

Flanders is a geographical region located in parts of present-day Belgium, France, and the Netherlands. Over the course of history, the geographical territory that was called "Flanders" has varied....
and the NetherlandsNetherlands

The Netherlands is a country that is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. It is a parliamentary democratic constitutional monarchy. The Netherlands is located in North-West Europe, and bordered by the North Sea to the north and west, Belgium to the south, and Germany to the east....
in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The term vanitas itself refers to the artsArt

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music and literature....
, learning and timeTime

Time is a component of the measurement used to sequence events, to compare the durations of events and the intervals between them, and to quantify the motions of objects....
. The word is LatinLatin

Latin is an Italic language, historically spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. Through the Military history of the Roman Empire, Latin spread throughout the Mediterranean and a large part of Europe....
, meaning "emptinessEmptiness

Emptiness as a human condition of generalised boredom, social alienation and apathy. Feelings of emptiness often accompany dysthymia, depression , loneliness, wiktionary:despair, or other mental/emotional disorders such as borderline personality disorder....
" and loosely translated corresponds to the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of vanityVanity

In conventional parlance, vanity is the excessive belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others. In many religions vanity is considered a form of self-idolatry, in which one rejects God for the sake of one's own , and thereby becomes divorced from the Divine graces of God....
. EcclesiastesEcclesiastes

Ecclesiastes is a book of the Hebrew Bible. The English name derives from the Greek language translation of the Hebrew #Title.The main speaker in the book, identified by the name or title Qohelet, introduces himself as "son of David, and king in Jerusalem." The work consists of personal or autobiographic matter, at times expressed in aph...
from the BibleBible

The Bible is the central religious text of Judaism and Christianity. The exact Books of the Bible is dependent on the religious traditions of specific denominations....
is often quoted in conjunction with this term.

So we were both right, its translates directly to emptiness, and loosely to the art and nature of Vanity.

And to those saying hes too young to be the Xehanort in 1 & 2 dont forget that BBS is ten years before either of those games and we do not know how old Vanitas is.

And to the skeptics saying that MX cannot be defeated cause of the BBS original trailer, think about it, that was almost what four years ago, how much has the concept and the characters of BBS changed since then, yes the ending of this game is not going to be a happy one cause something yet unknown happens to our heroes but I dont think the villans are gonna win this one or there wouldnt be a Kingdom Hearts game to begin with the worlds would have been thrown into darkness if the evil duo are not stopped.

Uh... Xehanort becomes a Nobody ONE year after BbS. Maleficent took over Hollow Bastion 9 years before KH1, so the apprentices had already turned into Nobodies by then.

So Vanitas has to be at least 28 years old at the beginning of BbS(because Nomura said Xemnas, Xehanort's Nobody, looked about 30). Does Vanitas look 28 to you? There's no way he could grow to XH's height in one year
How do we know Xehanort Becomes a nobody one year after BBS? I dont remember reading about this?

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
He could be anybody. God, why does Nomura gives us so many questions and so little anwers?!
Why would we want to know too much about him before the game comes out? That ruins the point of learning anything in-game.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I'm sorry but am I the only one that thinks xemnas and MX look the same in the face? Take away the hair and you can MX.
Well, Xemnas IS the Nobody of Xehanort... so it would make sense that Master Xehanort would look something like him.

It's simple logic. Master Xehanort looks like Xehanort. Xehanort looks like Xemnas. So MX looks like Xemnas.

And to those saying hes too young to be the Xehanort in 1 & 2 dont forget that BBS is ten years before either of those games and we do not know how old Vanitas is.
Uh... Xehanort becomes a Nobody ONE year after BbS. Maleficent took over Hollow Bastion 9 years before KH1, so the apprentices had already turned into Nobodies by then.

So Vanitas has to be at least 28 years old at the beginning of BbS(because Nomura said Xemnas, Xehanort's Nobody, looked about 30). Does Vanitas look 28 to you? There's no way he could grow to XH's height in one year

Ansem Darkheart

Too me it is pretty obvious that Vanitas IS, or is heavily connected to Riku. The only reason they could be hiding his face for so long is because he is somebody we already know. The first choices that come to everyones mind are Xehanort and Riku. I personally support the MX/Terra Xehanort theory, but I won't get in to that. Logic just says it's Riku. Or Riku in the same way that Ven is Roxas. He already looks, resembles, and too me sounds like Riku. His face probably just gives it away so they hid it.

I don't know, that all makes sense to me. Don't ask me how Vanitas gets to be Riku, because I don't know. It's all part of the mystery of Birth by Sleep and the origin of the Unversed.

My vote: Vanitas = Riku

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
And to the skeptics saying that MX cannot be defeated cause of the BBS original trailer, think about it, that was almost what four years ago, how much has the concept and the characters of BBS changed since then, yes the ending of this game is not going to be a happy one cause something yet unknown happens to our heroes

And? We already have the keyblade graveyard at the crossroads and Vanitas splitting from MX in the game. Plus, it's already been said that it was a scene in the game, so I don't see why we should question whether or not it'll happen as shown, since, aside from some added dialogue, it seems to be going more or less as shown.

but I dont think the villans are gonna win this one or there wouldnt be a Kingdom Hearts game to begin with the worlds would have been thrown into darkness if the evil duo are not stopped.

You seem to have misunderstood. While I do not think VAT had a snowball's chance in hell at defeating MX, I do not think MX and Vanitas both walked away from the crossroads. I believe MX and Terra somehow fused, possibly via KH, into Xehanort and that Vanitas somehow ends up being placed inside Riku similar to how Ven somehow ends up being placed inside of Sora.

∞;4648076 said:
Riku has been seen as a ~5-year-old child in BBS already. It doesn't work.

I believe he is saying Vanitas is "put into" Riku similar to how Ven is placed into Sora.

Ansem Darkheart

Thank you OmniChaos. I just didn't feel like typing it all out. There are too many similarities for Vanitas to have nothing to do with Riku. I know OmniChaos has already pointed it out but, Riku definitely had that fighting style/battle stance long before Xehanort/Ansem SoD came along and possessed him. And after studying much Japanese voice acting of Riku, I have concluded that Riku and Vanitas sound similar enough to back up some of my speculation.

And for the record, Nomura said, "2 figures are seen on Destiny Islands, and I think you know what that means." I don't remember him ever confirming they were indeed Sora and Riku. I am, obviously, pretty sure they are, but there are no certainties until the game is out. And even then, I'm sure there will be more questions.

Awesome Ansem

plus the presence of Vanitas could've been what attracted Ansem (once Master Xehanort) to Riku in the first place.

Awards
Well, Xemnas IS the Nobody of Xehanort... so it would make sense that Master Xehanort would look something like him.

It's simple logic. Master Xehanort looks like Xehanort. Xehanort looks like Xemnas. So MX looks like Xemnas.

Yeah but the thing about it is I don't think that Xehanort looks like MX, only Xemnas. I just don't see the resemblance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back