• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► V/H/S

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

megatron532

Website
www.youtube.com
V/H/S (Official Movie Site) - Starring Calvin Reeder, Lane Hughes and Adam Wingard - On Demand August 31st and In Theatres October 5th - Trailers, Pictures & More

A movie about this group of guys who are petty criminals hired to steal a VHS tape from a house with a dead guy in it by a mysterious third party. They film themselves doing it, naturally, only to find stacks and stacks of VHS tapes. Not sure which one is the right one they start popping in tapes with the reminder from their client that they'll know it when they see it.

Basically an anthology of found-footage movies in ten to twenty minute segments. The movies was showed at Sundance and SXSW and received very positive feedback. Magnolia Pictures picked it up for over one million dollars and will be on Video on Demand starting August 31st and will have a limited theatrical release on October 5th.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Aha! I thought this was a thread for Be Kind Rewind at first. Summary reminds me of The Poughkeepsie Tapes (which I refuse to watch because it's so inhumanely gross).

Anyway, one of the issues I have with the found-footage technique is that while its simplicity is cost-effective and can be immensely atmospheric, it always looks fake and faked because of the angles, unnaturally smooth camera movement, or the acting (horror movies generally have poor acting (see: The Devil Inside, Insidious, Paranormal Activity series, The Pact, all of which I've seen)). I think Paranormal Activity pulls it off well because it's a stand-still camera but then you have shit like Chronicle (not a horror, but massively reliant on the found-footage technique) which butchers the essential nature; too much story-boarding and manipulation of camera angles.

If they genuinely took a VHS video recorder camera and filmed the movie, I would find it a thousand times more effective. I just don't buy this "found video tapes" bullshit when you see there's SFX to the high heavens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back