• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Utada Hikaru's Themes and What They Mean

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So I see people complaining about the lyrics not feeling like they relate to Kingdom Hearts. Let me put a little perspective on earlier songs.

å…‰ "Hikari" lit. Light said:
No matter what the time
I'm just alone
Destiny forgotten,
Even though I kept going.
Inside of the sudden light I awaken
In the middle of the night

Quietly, stand in the exit way,
And, in the pitch-black, take the light

And about the recent promises, is it just that I'm so anxious?
A wish that's wanting to be said, but shall be repressed
I'll introduce my family,
You'll surely get along well

No matter what the time
We'll always be together
No matter what the time
Because you're by my side
The light known as "you" finds me,
In the middle of the night

Enter a noisy street (When you turn my way)
And put on the mask of destiny. (Take it all away)

I'll stop doing things that have no meaning, like thinking about the future.
Today I'll eat delicious things.
The future is always before us,
Even I don't know it.

It's not necessary to go right to the end,
Just keep going.
It's okay if the scenes
Go on one by one.
The light known as "you"
Reflects my scenario

Let's talk more,
And about the tomorrow that's before your very eyes.
Turn off the television,
And look only at me.

No matter how well we're doing,
I don't believe in us completely.
But at those sort of times,
Because you're by my side,
The light known as "you" finds me,
In the middle of the night.

Let's talk more,
And about the tomorrow that's before your very eyes.
Turn off the television,
And look only at me.​

This is a song about two people still feeling insecure about their relationship together. The speaker has felt alone for a long time, and when they met this person it felt like some of that loneliness was leaving. The speaker feels like this person is their light that finds them when they are lost in the dark, and regardless of fearing having to take big steps like meeting each other's family or figure out their future, they decide that that should enjoy the moment with each other.

Simple & Clean said:
When you walk away
You don't hear me say,
"Please, oh baby, don't go."
Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight
It's hard to let it go

You're giving me too many things
Lately, you're all I need.
You smiled at me and said,

"Don't get me wrong, I love you,
But does that mean I have to meet your father?"
When we are older you'll understand
What I meant when I said,
"No, I don't think life is quite that simple."

When you walk away
You don't hear me say,
It's hard to let it go

So simple and clean

The daily things
(like this and that and what is what)
That keep us all busy are confusing me
That's when you came to me and said,

"Wish I could prove I love you,
But does that mean I have to walk on water?"
When we are older you'll understand
It's enough when I say so
And maybe some things are that simple

When you walk away
You don't hear me say,
It's hard to let it go

Hold me
Whatever lies beyond this morning
Is a little later on
Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all
Nothing's like before

When you walk away
You don't hear me say,
It's hard to let it go

Hold me
Is a little later on
Nothing's like before

Hold me
Is a little later on
Nothing's like before

The meaning behind Simple & Clean is pretty similar to Hikari, if not a bit more straightforward about it.

Passion said:
If I recall, far far away
The future was shining on everywhere
Beneath the beautiful blue sky
We were just a little afraid

The window will be tinted
A nostalgic color

If we advance forth, can we ever meet again?
The future goes on to everywhere
Beneath the large signboard
I want to keep watching the eras changing

Hidden away
My heart's a battleground
(I need true emotions)
(I need more affection than you know)
(I need true emotions)

I will open a window
To the people and places I can't see again

If I recall, far far away
The future was shining on everywhere
Beneath the beautiful blue sky
We were slumbering forever

(All my fears and all our lies)

Beneath the blue sky...​

This is a song about being nostalgic of the past. The speaker and the other person are moving forward with their lives and the speaker fears they will drift apart and begin to walk on different paths. They miss how happy they were together in the past and still love them deeply, so they look back to the past fondly. They remember the happy times where they could just be together, but they need so much more out of their relationship right now.

Sanctuary said:
In you and I there's a new land
Angel's in flight
My sanctuary, my sanctuary, yeah
Where fears and lies melt away
Music will tie
What's left of me what's left of me now

I watch you fast asleep
All I fear means nothing

Angels in flight
My sanctuary my sanctuary yeah
Music will tie
What's left of me what's left of me

(So many ups and downs
My heart's a battleground
(I need true emotions)
(I need more affection than you know)
(I need true emotions)

You show me how to see
That nothing is whole and nothing is broken

Angel's in flight
My sanctuary my sanctuary yeah
Music will tie
What's left of me what's left of me now

My fears my lies
Melt away​

This is both similar and yet vastly different from Passion. The speaker feels like the other person is like a home or a safe haven to them, but also exactly the very thing that can break them apart. Even so, when the other sleeps those fear go away because they know at the end of the day they are together. No matter how many times the other person breaks them apart, they will be put back together again.

誓い "Chikai" lit. Oath said:
I don't know anything about destiny,
But at this moment, I can't help but acknowledge its existence.

Are you really happy with me just the way I am? Hey, are you?
I'd rather you not get my hopes up too much.

This day is free of lies and falsehoods,
The perfect day to take an eternal oath.
I don't need pretty flowers, or anyone's blessing.
Let's just wear rings of the same color...​

It's not a lot to work from, but this is a clear continuation from the previous themes.

This is about finally wanting to take THE big step in a relationship even with the lingering doubts. This is something of a culmination of the speaker's feelings since Hikari, especially since that was the early part of their relationship. The speaker still feels insecure, but they don't want to let that hold them back anymore. They want to be with this person forever. They don't think anybody needs to judge their relationship and there shouldn't be any expectations. All they need is the two of them and more of these days where they are being honest and open to each other.

Don't Think Twice said:
How did I live in a kingdom of thieves
and people who say things they don't really mean, really mean?

You're only everything I ever dreamed ever dreamed of, ever dreamed of
You must be kidding me did you really think I could say no?

I want you for a lifetime, so if you're gonna think twice baby
I don't wanna know baby, I don't wanna know
Everything is just right, but if you're gonna think twice baby
I don't wanna know baby, I don't wanna know​

Again, this is about taking that next huge step in a relationship. The speaker has wondered how they have been able to live with people who could lie to them and say things to them just to hurt them for so long when the answer has been there in front of them the whole time. This other person is exactly the person they want to spend forever with and when asked, of course they'd want to take this step. The speaker loves this person very much, but if the other person intends to hesitate about this even after asking, the speaker would rather be ignorant to it and just stay in this blissful moment.

It's a beautiful trilogy (hexalogy???) of songs. They all tie together. Early relationship fears, the difficult middle where anything can happen to hurt each other, and the final union.

And for people who are still upset even after this long-winded explanation and continue on the trite "but its a marriage song" argument, please remember this series has its main musical theme as "Dearly Beloved", the first thing the ordained minister says in a god damn wedding ceremony.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Utada Hikaru's new song for KINGDOM HEARTS 3: "Oath"

thank you spockanort for saying i kind of like it that there song are talking about love and marrage make you wonder about the connection with kh

About as much as the previous songs meant to the series. It isn't being literal. The song in relation to the series is about how struggles can still lead to good endings, about people finally coming together despite being surrounded by negativity. It's about how love trumps over everything else.

It's the very same thing we've been learning from previous games. Sora's greatest strength is his ability to love and forgive; his positivity that shines through all of the hopelessness. It's about how somebody like Riku could finally find redemption and find purpose. How everybody can finally be together after so much pain and misunderstandings keeping them apart.

"Marriage" isn't about just the romance, but about the union of hearts and hopes and destiny and everything in-between.

Or something...

Last edited:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
it kind of intresing that all three songs were connected to each other just like the game are as well

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I can't believe people think this song hints at anything that has directly to do with Sora and Kairi and possible scenarios in the game. :l

Not much to say from me about the new song yet, other than me totally being in love with the contrast of
"What I meant when I said,
"No, I don't think life is quite that simple." "
and
"You must be kidding me did you really think I could say no?"

Of course the background to these statements is different in the songs, but I still like it.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
I prefer the Japanese lyrics. It must be tough for Utada... having to come up with lyrics that fit the melody in two languages. That's why the Simple and Clean chorus isn't the same as Hikari - which is actually the chorus from one of her Japanese songs, Uso Mitai Na -I Love You-.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I can't believe people think this song hints at anything that has directly to do with Sora and Kairi and possible scenarios in the game. :l

Not much to say from me about the new song yet, other than me totally being in love with the contrast of
"What I meant when I said,
"No, I don't think life is quite that simple." "
and
"You must be kidding me did you really think I could say no?"

Of course the background to these statements is different in the songs, but I still like it.

It's driving me up a wall every time people mention it. It is definitely not even close to being about them. There is no struggle like this in their relationship. Hikari and Simple & Clean fit the hero and heroine thing and so it fit Sora and Kairi in that game to some degree, but Passion/Sanctuary always felt like they were in everybody else's POV in relation to Sora (i.e. Namine, Riku, Roxas) and now this one feels more general (and on a more interpretive level, about Riku and his own feelings and journey)

It's definitely an evolution of somebody who was once reluctant and fearful to a person who now is willing to let go of those fears.

(...which continues to sound like Riku...)

I prefer the Japanese lyrics. It must be tough for Utada... having to come up with lyrics that fit the melody in two languages. That's why the Simple and Clean chorus isn't the same as Hikari - which is actually the chorus from one of her Japanese songs, Uso Mitai Na -I Love You-.

It is tough for her and was her reason for not working with Disney for years besides the pitiful monetary compensation, but it sounds like her, Disney, SE, and Sony probably came to a very good agreement this time around.

Also Nomura pretty much begged her to come back in 2014...

That kind of earnest expression and a horde of fans hoping and wishing for her to return her probably helped guide her decision.

Also her taking time away from music has probably brought about a different perspective on music in general.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
It's driving me up a wall every time people mention it. It is definitely not even close to being about them. There is no struggle like this in their relationship. Hikari and Simple & Clean fit the hero and heroine thing and so it fit Sora and Kairi in that game to some degree, but Passion/Sanctuary always felt like they were in everybody else's POV in relation to Sora (i.e. Namine, Riku, Roxas) and now this one feels more general (and on a more interpretive level, about Riku and his own feelings and journey)

It's definitely an evolution of somebody who was once reluctant and fearful to a person who now is willing to let go of those fears.

(...which continues to sound like Riku...)
i can see it fit riku but i don't yet i want to hear the full song to the grasp of it first before we interpt it first

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
i can see it fit riku but i don't yet i want to hear the full song to the grasp of it first before we interpt it first

I feel the same, but it is hard to not to considering Nomura tends to be very specific in his execution of trailers. If Nomura cut that, it feels weird that he'd be like "here is a random Riku scene for y'all with no context or meaning to the song"

But like I said before, the song is definitely meant to represent many things about the game. Even Tartarus has provided some wonderful interpretations when paired with the trailer in the other discussion thread.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
I feel the same, but it is hard to not to considering Nomura tends to be very specific in his execution of trailers. If Nomura cut that, it feels weird that he'd be like "here is a random Riku scene for y'all with no context or meaning to the song"

But like I said before, the song is definitely meant to represent many things about the game. Even Tartarus has provided some wonderful interpretations when paired with the trailer in the other discussion thread.
yeah you i cant wait for the song and if i was getting i would have this song as a dance song it fit well as a dance song

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
The lyrics to Passion are still my favorite. It captures the feeling of being young, a little scared of the huge wide world that's spreading everywhere and feeling nostalgic perfectly. Leaving behind a lot, hoping you'll maybe someday get to reconnect with the people and places you knew, but also being curious and hopeful about the future. I love it. "Under the beautiful blue sky, we were just a little scared" is one of my favorite lines ever. It captures a feeling and moment I can relate to really well.

I like the new songs a lot, both of them. The lyrics are beautiful, and even though they're hopeful there's still some lingering sadness? It's like a good ending after a hard, bitter road. Maybe it's also the way she sings it, there's so much emotion behind it. The beginning melody also makes me feel nostalgic, somehow. The songs both really give that feeling of "we've come this far" that fits KH3 so well. In many ways.

ImVentus

Awards
Ive always liked Hikari, Simple & Clean but I always loved Sanctuary & Passion. Something about Sanctuary speaks to me on a personal level of feeling free and yet lost. It's a song that suddenly shuts my mind on real life and makes my life new and exciting.

Listening to the new theme I'm slowly warming up to both versions except for one part in english lyrics.
(Baby, baby on repeat) I believe this is cause Ive heard way too many crappy radio tunes that involves baby, baby and it's gotten tiresome and sometimes annoying.

And it sounds like Utada sounds more empowered in the Japanese version. In the english it sounds like they lyrics doesn't get along as well.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
I'm bumping this to ask a very serious question:

Has anybody reversed the song, yet?
i found one on Tumblr master spockanort from what I read aqua talking about ven

here the video of it [video=youtube;cPCZO4KcpPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=cPCZO4KcpPk[/video]

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So, I rediscovered what Passion was about again...

---Following the previous game, Utada Hikaru also sang the theme song for this game, "Passion."
Nomura:
Many fans seem to have the image Kingdom Hearts = Utada Hikaru so I didn't think of changing that at all. This time I wrote a story explanation for her that's longer than the previous game's. We decided to have it played at the last scene, so for me the theme was "Sora and Riku's reunion." I wrote stuff like "An image of a reunion, a happy moment in a way" and "Like a Hikari 2" in there.

So if Passion was Sora & Riku's reunion...And many people relate Chikai and Don't Think Twice to Riku...

MarvelousIndelibleAppaloosa-size_restricted.gif

i found one on Tumblr master spockanort from what I read aqua talking about ven

here the video of it [video=youtube;cPCZO4KcpPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=cPCZO4KcpPk[/video]

Oh, the internet did not disappoint xD

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Oh no that's so sweet... Nomura knows what's up. Gotta go listen to Passion right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back