• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Utada Hikaru's new song for KINGDOM HEARTS 3: "Oath"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Utada Hikaru's new song for KINGDOM HEARTS 3: "Oath"

Would be nice so many can understand, I tried to say it on following people, but you know how it goes.

And someone correct me, I'm 100% sure they never share the ending variation of the main song,

plaintb and the menu trailer versions of Hikari/Simple and Clean were in official trailers and commercials, not the version at the end

Same with Sanctuary/Passion, I didn't know about -after the battle- until I played the game or watched it.

So there's no proof this is the credits version right now.

KH3's marketing is so vastly different from previous games that there is really no use trying to use examples of the past on it anymore.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

KH3's marketing is so vastly different from previous games that there is really no use trying to use examples of the past on it anymore.

Makes sense, we can't use the past songs anymore as a example, for now we don't know the version we got.

Going to be a lot of replace opening song videos in the near future, time to find myself in the future to see how it went

ZA10026

Oath/Don't Think Twice are definitely good and not trying to call anybody out but the creators have said that this game is supposed to be darker than the others and the somber vibe of Oath and Don't Think Twice help set the mood.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

So I see people complaining about the lyrics not feeling like they relate to Kingdom Hearts. Let me put a little perspective on earlier songs.

This is a song about two people still feeling insecure about their relationship together. The speaker has felt alone for a long time, and when they met this person it felt like some of that loneliness was leaving. The speaker feels like this person is their light that finds them when they are lost in the dark, and regardless of fearing having to take big steps like meeting each other's family or figure out their future, they decide that that should enjoy the moment with each other.

The meaning behind Simple & Clean is pretty similar to Hikari, if not a bit more straightforward about it.

This is a song about being nostalgic of the past. The speaker and the other person are moving forward with their lives and the speaker fears they will drift apart and begin to walk on different paths. They miss how happy they were together in the past and still love them deeply, so they look back to the past fondly. They remember the happy times where they could just be together, but they need so much more out of their relationship right now.

This is both similar and yet vastly different from Passion. The speaker feels like the other person is like a home or a safe haven to them, but also exactly the very thing that can break them apart. Even so, when the other sleeps those fear go away because they know at the end of the day they are together. No matter how many times the other person breaks them apart, they will be put back together again.

It's not a lot to work from, but this is a clear continuation from the previous themes.

This is about finally wanting to take THE big step in a relationship even with the lingering doubts. This is something of a culmination of the speaker's feelings since Hikari, especially since that was the early part of their relationship. The speaker still feels insecure, but they don't want to let that hold them back anymore. They want to be with this person forever. They don't think anybody needs to judge their relationship and there shouldn't be any expectations. All they need is the two of them and more of these days where they are being honest and open to each other.

Again, this is about taking that next huge step in a relationship. The speaker has wondered how they have been able to live with people who could lie to them and say things to them just to hurt them for so long when the answer has been there in front of them the whole time. This other person is exactly the person they want to spend forever with and when asked, of course they'd want to take this step. The speaker loves this person very much, but if the other person intends to hesitate about this even after asking, the speaker would rather be ignorant to it and just stay in this blissful moment.

It's a beautiful trilogy (hexalogy???) of songs. They all tie together. Early relationship fears, the difficult middle where anything can happen to hurt each other, and the final union.

And for people who are still upset even after this long-winded explanation and continue on the trite "but its a marriage song" argument, please remember this series has its main musical theme as "Dearly Beloved", the first thing the ordained minister says in a god damn wedding ceremony.

I am very glad to see I'm not the only one who pieced this together, and I didn't realize that it also worked in the Japanese versions of the songs as well. Once you realize that the three songs form a trilogy about marriage, and then you remember the main theme of the entire franchise is called "Dearly Beloved" it's like mind blown.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

And someone correct me, I'm 100% sure they never share the ending variation of the main song

You are 100% incorrect.

plaintb and the menu trailer versions of Hikari/Simple and Clean were in official trailers and commercials, not the version at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64b_TFFnZa4

Same with Sanctuary/Passion, I didn't know about -after the battle- until I played the game or watched it.

It was released beforehand and Hikki performed it live. People speculated that KH2 would have a bad ending because of how slow it was. History repeats itself.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

Meaning aside (Utada's KH songs are mostly irrelevant to the games lyrically imo) I love the theme so much. Utada sounds better now than she ever did. I love that KH3's theme song is in 3/4. (Or 6/8?)

I love the asymmetrical stuff going on with the beat as well.

orenji

Awards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJK1IKIvrI (Sorry, I can't seem to find a way to embed the vid, even if I pasted the vid code using the YouTube thingy...)

"Hatsukoi", her new single, last song to be released prior to the album if I'm not mistaken. So, so beautiful. This makes me even more excited about Oath.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I saw the music video on iTunes before the single so I downloaded it and had like a religious experience watching it haha. This is going to be such a fantastic album. I don't even mind that half of it is already out, I haven't gotten sick of a single track yet. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back