• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Upgrade OS? + Ram stuff

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

.:Mega:.

Awards
Alright, folks. Here's the deal. I run on a Pentium 3 computer designed for Windows 98. Now, what I ask is: is it possible to upgrade to XP without causing any comp problems? And, the other question I must ask concerns RAM. You see, I have about 330 MB of RAM, but, I have a suspicion that this isn't enough to run programs such as Movie Maker, which I plan on getting once I upgrade. So, I ask, what is a decent amount of RAM for a standard computer? I may buy more, but I don't want to spend too much money at the same time. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

~Mega

The Midnighter

Tech Geek
Awards
Pentium 233 is the minimum speed requirement for XP, so yes you can upgrade.
Get MORE RAM!!! 512 is okay for the average user, 768 is pretty good for a medioker gamer / designer, a gig is always nice, 4 gigs is wonderful, and the new dual cores with 10 gigs would be superb ;)

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Pentium 233 is the minimum speed requirement for XP, so yes you can upgrade.
Get MORE RAM!!! 512 is okay for the average user, 768 is pretty good for a medioker gamer / designer, a gig is always nice, 4 gigs is wonderful, and the new dual cores with 10 gigs would be superb ;)

Exactly...

Just one small thing I'd like to point out:
1: 233Mhz (0.233Ghz) means it will take a while for XP to actually load.
2: Don't even plan on gaming on this mahine.. period. Maby old.. er.. 'ancient school' games.. (You won't even be able to run UT '99 on that thing without atlot of problems..)
3: Make sure the software you plan to add supports your current processor specs.

(330MB Ram should be fine to run XP, when you first decide to upgrade. XP is configured to work with even 128MB.. really horrible configuration, but XP is *shudder* 'usable'. 256 is the 'bare minimum' recommended system memory for running XP. 512MB is the 'sweet spot' currently for anyone running XP. 1Gb is 'elite' for XP.. although if you are going to try to upgrade to vista later... I would just scrap this machine..)

Actually.. I'd just scrap it anyways.

Only good thing to do with a 233 & 330MB pc is either put the machine out of its misery..
Or turn it into a server for whatever you need.. fileserver, ftp server, webserver, firewall, router, game server, misc. server... Endless possibilities.

..then again, you could always overclock it, and see how far you could go, before it fried..
(Not recommended!!!!)

~~Azurith

Awards
Well, the thing is, I don't have enough cash to buy a new computer yet. So, this is all I got for now. At least it runs Photoshop 7.0 without problems, etc. But, can you reccomend any decently priced machines? I just wanna consider it for the future.

The Midnighter

Tech Geek
Awards
That depends on where you live, normally the smaller PC store with the tech geeks in it sell for less, not brand name places like Futureshop or "The Source!", we have one here called GreenLyph, it's where I built my PC ^_^v

Awards
Well, I may or may not upgrade. I don't know yet. Either way, I need more RAM. And, the only real reason I wish to upgrade is so I can use Windows Movie Maker. -sigh- Everything else, like Photoshop 7, runs fineon my 98. I just have a real low budget until mom can get this house appraised, and I still gota raise $60 for KH FM and a swap magic and then $45 for the Sakura con... so, all in all, it'll be a while before I can buy too much more comp stuff. -sigh-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back