• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► UPDATED: Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

UPDATE: Square Enix has sent us a statement to clarify the answer provided by Community Rep Kim (also known as "Glacie") in regards to the Global version's story updates:

“Kim’s quote was referencing that currently, the rate of story is going to continue at the same pace, and there is a plan for how things are rolling out. She had meant by the time KINGDOM HEARTS III releases, there won’t be a reason for the global players to not understand what’s happening in KINGDOM HEARTS III due to the Japanese version being slightly ahead.”

This is incredibly disappointing news to Kingdom Hearts fans who were excited to play Kingdom Hearts Union X for the story.

During their Union X live stream on September 5th 2018, Square Enix Community Rep Kim confirmed that the story quests will be going at a consistent pace and that any attempts to catch up the story for parity with the Japanese version likely won't happen.

So yeah, for story-wise I believe we're going at the rate that's um, it's going to be at a constant rate. I'm not sure if it's going to speed up. I know that, by the time Kingdom Hearts III comes out there shouldn't be any confusion cause the Union Cross and Kingdom Hearts III, while they overlap they're not necessary to play one or the other. So it's not going to be like if the story isn't caught up by Kingdom Hearts III release that you're going to miss out on much story. But other than that, right now, it's the rate that we are going.

This comes after Series Creator Tetsuya Nomura stating that Kingdom Hearts Union X will be important to the story of Kingdom Hearts III.

–I’m interested about its connection with KINGDOM HEARTS III.

Nomura: If you play KINGDOM HEARTS III, you will also recognize the story of KINGDOM HEARTS Union Cross. For those who are anticipating KINGDOM HEARTS III and interested in the series’ story, I recommend to play KINGDOM HEARTS Union Cross.

During the Dandelion meeting back in April, Nomura also spoke on the story between the two games.

Nomura: You want to know more about [the new Union leaders] instead of their design right? There is a storyline in Kingdom Hearts III where you will sense their existence and influence here and there. I believe you will feel their presence more than the five Fortellers who are the previous Union leaders. The fates of these new Union leaders are already set, and there is a meaning behind everything, including their names.

A few days ago Nomura also confirmed that the upcoming scenario was written by Kingdom Hearts III staff, which then begs the question as to why the story isn't regarded as that important or necessary to Square Enix North America?

I have kept you waiting so long, but the main scenario will be updated next month. Actually, the scenario part of Union X, aside from myself, was partially written by the staff of KINGDOM HEARTS III and I am sorry that couldn't update it quicker, but the wait is finally over.

I think that after this, the heart of the story will be evident.

The next time the main scenario will be updated, there will be new characters, and the connection between this character and that character will be revealed. I think it will be an interesting development. 

There's also the matter of Ventus and Lauriam (the human version of Marluxia). Both have appeared in Kingdom Hearts Union X and Kingdom Hearts III and with their inclusion in the mobile game, it seemed like there would be important backstory to the two which will deepen their connection in Kingdom Hearts III.

Remember to follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on TWEWY, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

Yeah I kinda assumed it would be behind. Tbh, I still am of the mind most of UX is setting up whatever happens after 3 anyway.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts Union X English Story Won't Be Up To Date When Kingdom Hearts III Launches

Yeah I kinda assumed it would be behind. Tbh, I still am of the mind most of UX is setting up whatever happens after 3 anyway.
Setting up a story for future games is a different matter. Here we have two characters, one that has been with the series since 2004 and the other since 2010, being thrown into a mobile game that is constantly stressed as having a big impact on a storyline in Kingdom Hearts 3.

When we play Kingdom Hearts 3, and we experience the storyline that Nomura talks of, are we just going to be oblivious to their influences and what not? Are we going to be confused when Marluxia talks to Ventus and they speak of their past?

They are completely mishandling this whole scenario. There's no reason for any form of delay, they have proven to do fast translations (the Summer Adventure text had apparently been fully translated and sitting in the games files since July) so it's baffling why they decide to contradict the creator and director of the entire series.

Like, Glacie outright states that "you're not going to miss out on much story" which goes directly against what Nomura says.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

Setting up a story for future games is a different matter. Here we have two characters, one that has been with the series since 2004 and the other since 2010, being thrown into a mobile game that is constantly stressed as having a big impact on a storyline in Kingdom Hearts 3.

When we play Kingdom Hearts 3, and we experience the storyline that Nomura talks of, are we just going to be oblivious to their influences and what not? Are we going to be confused when Marluxia talks to Ventus and they speak of their past?

They are completely mishandling this whole scenario. There's no reason for any form of delay, they have proven to do fast translations (the Summer Adventure text had apparently been fully translated and sitting in the games files since July) so it's baffling why they decide to contradict the creator and director of the entire series.

Like, Glacie outright states that "you're not going to miss out on much story" which goes directly against what Nomura says.
agree wonder why she said that in the first then again how do you even repond to the question though

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

I can’t say I’m surprised, but this is what I feared. Is it awkward that KHI will be doing a better job at keeping fans up to date on relevant series and character lore than SENA will be?

If they plan to release 3.0 anytime soon, which Glacie was being rather shady about, it will also render the shared video game themes between Classic Kingdom and Wreck It Ralph irrelevant since by the time Ralph shows up in UX, everyone will just be playing Classic Kingdom in KH3 anyways.

SENA just wants to wait until post-KH3 launch so they can use the new world to reel people back in rather than doing what is right for the fans who have dedicated their time to the game. :/

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Oh that's true, I guess, maybe I've just resigned myself to how horrible everything about UX has been for a year now? I guess part of me has even been questioning if the scenario would be done in time for Japan as well, but I guess Nomura's recent statements about the plot beginning again soon may mean all the needed stuff will be done by then.
If that is the case, then yeah it is a slap in the face to the rest of the world. Even though us here will clearly just read the translated scenes, we are in a minority.

But yeah idk anymore, I know that they claimed we would see hints of the Union Leaders in KH3. I'm honestly confused what else will even impact it at this point, other than the history of Marluxia and Ventus

But I see what you mean about translations, I am skeptical about that, I assume they could translate faster.

I can’t say I’m surprised, but this is what I feared. Is it awkward that KHI will be doing a better job at keeping fans up to date on relevant series and character lore than SENA will be?

If they plan to release 3.0 anytime soon, which Glacie was being rather shady about, it will also render the shared video game themes between Classic Kingdom and Wreck It Ralph irrelevant since by the time Ralph shows up in UX, everyone will just be playing Classic Kingdom in KH3 anyways.

SENA just wants to wait until post-KH3 launch so they can use the new world to reel people back in rather than doing what is right for the fans who have dedicated their time to the game. :/

I mean, Japan is getting Classic Kingdom tomorrow or something right? But I don't think they will be getting Wreck it Ralph immediately either. Not to say I don't believe your second point lol, I could see them saving it to do something like that...but I guess I'm not sure how connected Classic Kingdom and WiR actually are? Isn't that just a fan theory thing, or did I miss something?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

If they plan to release 3.0 anytime soon, which Glacie was being rather shady about
That really shits me. They have a countdown quest to the update but they refused to share any information on when it will launch, or even maintenance times? JP is down for maintenance now and they have had three days of preparation. What are we even counting down to if they refuse to share any information!

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

This is just....baffling.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

That really shits me. They have a countdown quest to the update but they refused to share any information on when it will launch, or even maintenance times? JP is down for maintenance now and they have had three days of preparation. What are we even counting down to if they refuse to share any information!

Yah that threw me as well, I watched the stream live cuz I wanted the max rewards..which we didn't reach as usual, but that's beside the point. I assumed we would be getting it this week as well, but now they are being weird about it.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Well, now the notice is out for Global's 3.0.0 update. Starts tomorrow at 7:00pm PT.

A mere FOUR HOURS after she claimed it hasn't been dated yet.

Last edited:

Muke

whatever
Awards

This is just bullshit. If they wanted to, I'm sure they could do some catching up, simply by releasing more quests at once. Gah, whatever, this whole Ux thing is a mess anyway

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards

I honestly feel like the Uχ localization team actually hates KH

Like, I really can't think of a single good reason for anything SENA does.
The fact that fans can translate new story updates in mere hours from release, but the official team leaves a six-month gap
I just don't get it. How? HOW?

And then instead of giving us a reason, they just lie and avoid it entirely.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Well, now the notice is out for Global's 3.0.0 update. Starts tomorrow at 6:00pm PT.

A mere FOUR HOURS after she claimed it hasn't been dated yet.

Lol, maybe she just didn't want to get blamed if something went wrong? But yeah now it seems kinda silly. I'm glad we are getting it soon.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

Someone on Reddit made a good point. If Nomura was willing to delay KH3 to release it simultaneously, why isn’t that same line of thinking applied to Union Cross? I don’t even demand total parity. But there’s no excuse why the story of each version can’t be a month or two apart. All it would have taken was adding all of Enchanted Dominion as a part of Version 3.0. They could have even given us less anniversary jewels to compensate for the ones we would get from the quests if that is such a big deal.

Btw, do you guys think they were joking about there being a meaning behind the number of jewels we received or is there really a significance? Any ideas?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Hahaha, the whole concept of getting everyone up to speed via ReMIXes, rereleases on newer platforms, prologues, the whole shebang - nicked by KHUX. This is a fail.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

God, this is absolutely ridiculous. Why is it impossible for them to catch us up? Translations aren’t the problem.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

89A1hD0.jpg

Something about the way this was addressed, filler words and all, just annoys the crap out of me, like salt in the wound. There's the assumption that we're not going to miss out much on the story. Okay, well, maybe not in the lengthy span of things, but will we be missing out on KHUX's more pivotal plot points that are actually relevant to KHIII? Who knows, I guess!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I spent the better part of my birthday telling someone we weren't putting words in her mouth because Glacie actually said that shit and that it is an official statement from Square Enix because she is a community representative of the game lmao.

Lol, maybe she just didn't want to get blamed if something went wrong? But yeah now it seems kinda silly. I'm glad we are getting it soon.
They were cocky enough about it going ahead that they held a countdown quest to it. It just comes across as them wanting to diddly with the fans and lie to our face.

Someone made a chart of the quests and the gaps between them
Lhavgeo.png

665NJQqPK7ilY7MtQ_VTLKleEuFCUy6fdmutbXfX4Fk.png

665NJQqPK7ilY7MtQ_VTLKleEuFCUy6fdmutbXfX4Fk.png

We're getting to the end of Enchanted Dominion in January 2019..... A very consistent release schedule....

Recon

Art of War
Awards

I'm not disappointed because I never gave two shits about KHUX or its storyline

Who is the mastermind behind these terrible decisions? All this awful planning is really stinking up the place.

Well, now the notice is out for Global's 3.0.0 update. Starts tomorrow at 6:00pm PT.

WOOOO! I'm excited to play Classic Kingdom mini games! We should have a KHI community high score event. I think it would be fun.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

Me personally, I always read the translated Japanese cutscenes anyway so this doesn't change much for me specifically. However, one of the biggest marketing pulls about Union Cross is that it connects to KH3 and contains story information that fills in backstory and also bridges to future events we won't see until KH3 is out. That was/is one of the biggest allures of the game. So, for Square to now say "You won't be missing out on much story" comes across as a HUGE middle finger to everyone who plays the game for the lore aspect. I trust that they're simply uninformed and Nomura's statements about the plot's significance are more accurate, but still.

Do you know who's going to be playing KHUX when KH3 releases? Practically no one. So, to have one of the main reasons to play the game (the way it connects to KH3) essentially be considered irrelevant now by the localization team is just... really shitty.

"Here, KH fans! While you wait for KH3, here's a new entry which contains valuable backstory and events which connect to KH3!"

*2 Years Later*

"Eh, don't worry, you won't be missing out on much. None of it is really important for KH3. Just read the Japanese translations online if you really want to."

Seriously??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back