• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► UPDATE: Utada's involvement in Kingdom Hearts 3 is still undetermined

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Utada Teruzane confirms Utada Hikaru's involvement in KINGDOM HEARTS 3's theme song

Yay. I'm cryin' like a child.

she's one in a million

Wonder if Utada will do themes for games after KH3? Though it's probably too early to ask

I think we should wait to see if they will even continue the series after 3 xD

Heartkeeper

Awards
Re: Utada Teruzane confirms Utada Hikaru's involvement in KINGDOM HEARTS 3's theme song

Best news ever. Finally a new song.

namidawa

Man, it's like 2016's trying to make up for the entire year's worth of bad news with good news, such as Utada Hikaru's involvement with KH3.
I wonder if she'll approach it with a nostalgic tone, like she did with the other two (that's what I got from the four songs, anyways).

Caxinuld

Awards

I honestly did not expect her to come back for the new theme song after hearing about her disputes with Disney & translating the songs from Japanese to English. I can't wait to hear it when the game comes out.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

Awesome, can't wait to hear it. Major feels yo

shuyin_zer0

Awards

I actually don't know the answer to this, she'd worked on them for some time, the english version was written first - but we never heard them until like a month before release.

I remember her saying in an interview when KH2 released that Sanctuary was recorded a whole year before she wrote Passion

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

I'm kind of just wondering how Utada will approach the theme(s?). She's said in the past that working on two versions of a song in different languages is pretty difficult creatively.

I'd want to believe that she should just focus on one language, but the reason the English versions existed in the first place was accessibility for a western audience (and Disney fans in general). Disney has been pretty comfortable with non-English songs in their works as of late (i.e. "Sugar Rush" by AKB48 or "We Know The Way" by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Opetaia Foa'i...although that still has English in it...)

Honestly, just because something is creatively difficult doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible. She'll find a way around it, Kingdom Hearts III is still in development so she has plenty of time for a Japanese and English version.

Marcus433

It's gonna be pretty hard to top the first 2 songs.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

by the way utada posted ray of hope mix

[video=youtube;A8Cuem5SaJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Cuem5SaJ0[/video]

Xagzan

Awards

Have you liked any of her recent music like the stuff from Fantôme? Depending on that, your chances of enjoying the new stuff should greatly increase or decrease. Utada has matured a lot, and with it her music.

I dislike "Sanctuary" a lot but really like "Passion" and the -After the Battle- versions of both songs. "Sanctuary" suffers from not having the same ambient "ahhh"ing in the background that really tied "Passion" together, nor does it have the same level of sophistication thanks to the awkward English lyrics she wrote to try and fit the rhythm of the music.

Oh boy, now you're taking me back. Been singing that song for 10 years haha (pun initially not intended, but then decided what the hell).

Passion was amazing when I first heard it when JP KH2 came out. Then I heard the English version and suddenly greatly desired the ability to switch language tracks for just the opening movie. Passion was just more dynamic, thanks to those background vocals.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

This literally makes my heart swell with joy and my eyes swell with tears.

Of the voices that couldn't / won't be able to return in the series over the coarse of its lifetime, due to a myriad of inflicting reasons, it really is the best news to hear that Utada will return. She is literally one of the first voices you hear in KH. I'm overjoyed.

This is such great news. If it's anything like her new music, we're in for such a treat.

Could not agree more. I have been listening to her latest album incessantly these past couple of weeks. It's not explosive in your face, but it hits all the right notes in every sense of the word. I'm glad it heralded such good news.

That is to say, I really, really hope an official statement is made soon, and that this isn't retracted.

shuyin_zer0

Awards

Loving the vocals from "Traveling" being in there

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Honestly, just because something is creatively difficult doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible. She'll find a way around it, Kingdom Hearts III is still in development so she has plenty of time for a Japanese and English version.

I wasn't saying it was impossible, but rather wondering if she would be willing to do it. Utada seemed upset by it in the past, both because of the creative effort that had to go into it that she herself felt hurt the integrity of the work she was making and the lack of pay for the number of versions she was making. A compromise had to be reached somewhere.

So either Utada doesn't feel that way anymore or welcomes the challenge this time around, they are paying her more so she is happier to do the work, or we are only getting one song.

So I imagine it will be a case of Ray of Hope MIX the short version being added in some KH soundtrack released later on

Oh boy, now you're taking me back. Been singing that song for 10 years haha (pun initially not intended, but then decided what the hell).

Passion was amazing when I first heard it when JP KH2 came out. Then I heard the English version and suddenly greatly desired the ability to switch language tracks for just the opening movie. Passion was just more dynamic, thanks to those background vocals.

I felt the exact same way. It is for that reason I don't watch the opening in English unless I'm playing the game.

This literally makes my heart swell with joy and my eyes swell with tears.

Of the voices that couldn't / won't be able to return in the series over the coarse of its lifetime, due to a myriad of inflicting reasons, it really is the best news to hear that Utada will return. She is literally one of the first voices you hear in KH. I'm overjoyed.

Could not agree more. I have been listening to her latest album incessantly these past couple of weeks. It's not explosive in your face, but it hits all the right notes in every sense of the word. I'm glad it heralded such good news.

That is to say, I really, really hope an official statement is made soon, and that this isn't retracted.

The tweet still lives almost 24 hours later. SE Japan doesn't go on break until New Years so they would have to know he dropped the news. We may be good?

EDIT: NVM LOL TERUZANE JUST TOOK IT BACK 8D

Loving the vocals from "Traveling" being in there

Oh snaps! You're right. I knew that little bit sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Re: UPDATE: Utada's involvement in Kingdom Hearts 3 is still undetermined

So yeah I think he was not surposed to talk about it yet oh well we will probaly find out next year if utada is coming back or not

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Re: UPDATE: Utada's involvement in Kingdom Hearts 3 is still undetermined

I had hoped for this when she tweeted about the Ray of Hope remix, and now I'm happy <3

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Re: UPDATE: Utada&#039;s involvement in Kingdom Hearts 3 is still undetermined

Oh wait so it's still undecided? Are they going over negotiations with Disney or Square?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Oh wait so it's still undecided? Are they going over negotiations with Disney or Square?

Teruzane said they are eager to work on it but it is not official. So it sounds more like they are backpedaling because it was meant to be an official announcement.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

We don't yet but we might found out next year if she coming back or not

Teruzane said they are eager to work on it but it is not official. So it sounds more like they are backpedaling because it was meant to be an official announcement.
my guess they going announce it at one of the concerts

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Really, they should have just wrote a quick PR, put the 15th Anniversary Logo on it, and said "Happy Holidays! Look forward to the many announcements coming next year!"

Then Nomura wouldn't have to even think about what the first KH3 news would be. It'd already be done and released lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back