• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unversed: Empty Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Unversed: Empty Hearts.

The Unversed are mysterious creatures featured in BBS. There are many questions about them. How do they exist? What are they made of? What are they after? How were they created? And how did they seemingly disappear?

These are my thoughts on the mysteries of the Unversed.

First, this theory looks at the Unversed Symbol to see what it may tell. The symbol might hold meaning relating to their existence if analyzed properly.

picture.php

picture.php

What can be observed by looking at the symbols of two different Unversed is how they slightly differ from each other, meaning the Unversed Symbol may come in different variations.

What’s beneficial about this though is that the important characteristics of the symbol are found in what the two variations have in common.

In these two pictures, we can clearly see that both symbols are black with a white outline. However, the center of one has a red heart, while the other has a black heart. Observation shows though that the one with the red heart is posted on the red part of the Unversed, while the one with the black heart is posted on the black part of the Unversed. What this means is that the filling of the heart is not part of the symbol itself. The symbol is just a frame for the heart, but the inside of the heart has been cut out of the symbol, thus why the color of the heart matches the color of whichever Unversed it is posted on.

I believe this to be quite significant. What is the meaning in this though? Some might say the lack of the heart means that the Unversed lack hearts but are composed of something deeply related to hearts. Personally though, I disagree with that claim. The symbol so specifically frames a heart. The white outline on the inside of the symbol practically shapes a heart. The main design of the symbol is heart-shaped, even if it is not filled in. Therefore, since the shape of a heart is such a dominant feature in the symbol, I believe it's possible that the Unversed are composed of hearts.

However, the heart in the symbol is not filled in. It’s an empty heart. Also, though the frame for this heart features a white outline, the filling for the frame itself is mostly colored black, which could symbolize darkness.

An empty heart outlined by white and blanketed by darkness? Where have I heard that before?

Oh right! It was here:

KH:CoM’R/R said:
DiZ: Here, blanketed by the darkness, sleep is safety. Sleep is eternal.

KH:CoM’R/R said:
DiZ: Your heart only knows how to throw things away. It's empty, like that room. Like your memories.

YouTube - Complete Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories Part 1 (Riku)

The characteristics of the symbol seem to closely fit what Riku came close to experiencing in KH:CoM R/R. Because of this, I believe the Unversed are composed of empty hearts.

However, I don't think normal beings, whose hearts contain both light and darkness, can become an Unversed. Look at Riku for instance. By accepting darkness, rejecting light, and then rejecting darkness, his heart had pushed so much out that it was almost completely empty... yet not quite completely empty. Remnants of light, darkness, and even memories still remained in Riku's heart, even if it was just a small amount. Riku's heart wasn't empty enough to become a monstrous creature such as an Unversed. An experience of what Riku underwent is so rare as well, especially since most hearts aren't as strong as his and probably would just get consumed at the "accept darkness" phase of Riku's hardship.

For these reasons, I don't believe the Unversed are produced from the hearts of normal individuals, since it doesn't appear that those hearts can achieve complete emptiness. I suppose Sora was right, no matter what, there is a light deep inside that never goes out...

But what if there was never a light there to begin with?

Imagine a different kind of empty heart, a heart that started out with nothing from the very beginning.

It's best at this point though to discuss the natural birth of hearts. Though the birth of hearts hasn't been properly explored in the series yet, we are told that hearts are born from Kingdom Hearts. Since the true essence of Kingdom Hearts is light, that means all hearts originate from light. And though newly born hearts have never experienced anything, I believe that Kingdom Hearts bestows a glow of light to every heart naturally born.

In short, because hearts are born from the light of Kingdom Hearts, I believe they are granted a glimmer of light from the very moment of their creation. The concept I want to establish is this: Hearts born of light, start out with light and always possess light.

Therefore, typical hearts that are naturally born from Kingdom Hearts could never become completely empty.

So again, if the Unversed are composed of completely empty hearts, then where would such a hearts come from?

Well if hearts born of light, start with out light and always possess light, then perhaps hearts born of nothing, start out with nothing and always possess nothing.

Ultimately, I believe the Unversed are born from completely empty hearts that were made from nothing. I guess these hearts would be considered as something sort of like artificial hearts.

I believe Master Xehanort has a deep interest in the nature of the heart, and the power of Kingdom Hearts. I believe one ability of Kingdom Hearts he might try to replicate is the power to produce hearts, so he finds a way to create hearts from nothing, thus producing the Unversed.

On another note, I believe Master Xehanort's philosophy may include dislike towards both light and darkness. Possibly he rejects the eternal struggle against the two sides, and aspires to rid the world of both in order to bring about his vision of tranquility. If Master Xehanort is an enemy of both light and dark, then the Unversed as beings of empty hearts would make the most fitting of minions.

However, Nomura said that the Unversed grow out of negative emotions, so how could empty hearts fit into that.

Nomura Interview said:
-- What can you tell us about the "Unversed"?

Nomura: The English name will be "Unversed". The meaning is "those that are not well-versed in existence/life" and they grow out of negative emotions. You'll understand the meaning of this when you play the game.

When it came to the Heartless, it seems their physical form and strength related to how much darkness was in the heart. However, in the case of an empty heart, there is nothing in the heart to provide strength or a physical form.

Here's my idea. These empty hearts are incapable of letting darkness, light, or memories inside itself. However, consider this imagery, that the empty heart wrap themselves in the darkness, light, and memories of other peoples hearts.

Perhaps the negative emotions of others emit some sort of aura that the Unversed can feed off of. These empty hearts are attracted to this essence, and they seek out those with negative emotions in order to absorb that aura in order to give them mighty physical forms and potent abilities.

So these empty hearts can't take physical form as Unversed until it wraps itself around the negative essence of others, which relates to how Nomura said that the Unversed "grow out of negative emotions". This also relates to the Unversed symbol being a black frame for an empty heart, the black frame exemplifying how the power of the Unversed come from negative emotions it wraps itself in, even though the heart let's nothing inside and thus remains empty.

The concept of creating hearts from nothing though sort of reminds me of one of Apprentice Xehanort's more interesting aspirations:

Ansem Report 8 said:
There is no doubt that the Heartless are deeply connected to the people's hearts. Further study may unravel both their motivations and the mysteries shrouding the heart.

As a start, I have built a device that artificially creates Heartless. By recreating the conditions that spawn the Heartless naturally, I should be able to produce them artificially. This device is the culmination of all my research thus far. The machine's test run successfully created a Heartless.

This may be a step toward creating a heart from nothing. The artificially and naturally created Heartless showed nearly identical traits. But the two types remain distinct for the purpose of the experiment. So, I will mark the ones that are created artificially.

Looks like Xehanort had an interest in creating hearts from nothing. And while on the topic of Xehanort, the connection between Heartless and Unversed maybe as simple as the similarity between the different forms of Unversed and Artificial Heartless. Many would agree that Xehanort is someone or some people from BBS. The state of Xehanort’s memories isn’t completely clear, but he was able to recall the name Xehanort so perhaps he can recall some other things from BBS. It was Xehanort who designed the Artificial Heartless, so what if the memory of the different kinds of Unversed subconsciously influenced Xehanort’s designs for the Artificial Heartless? That could explain why some Unversed look similar to some Artificial Heartless. Not to mention, it would show how the Unversed, perhaps enemies based on empty hearts, influenced the later production of the Heartless, enemies based on hearts consumed and overwhelmed by darkness.

What do Unversed want though? For all we know, the Unversed might not want anything. Perhaps they are just mindless servants of Master Xehanort, and terrorize the worlds as he wills it. I don’t think Unversed could create other Unversed either, for all other hearts would be made from the light of Kingdom Hearts, while the Unversed hearts would be specifically made from nothing. Like the Nobodies, the Unversed might not have the ability to produce more of its own kind. However, if the Unversed did have some ability harmful to the well being of others (besides physical attacks) then perhaps they would be able to erode a heart and strip it of its light, darkness, and memories.

It might be in an empty heart’s nature to take away what makes other hearts full. Then the Unversed may use this light, darkness, or memories to augment its strength (but incapable of filling the heart itself).

Lastly, how do the Unversed disappear? Well based on this theory, the Unversed are born from an unnatural process. Also, Unversed would be a product of Master Xehanort’s own power and influence, so if Master Xehanort for some reason undergoes a drastic change in his life (like death) then there wouldn’t be an individual commanding empty hearts to come into existence and producing the Unversed. Therefore, the production of the Unversed would come to a halt. And as for all Unversed already produced, if Master Xehanort’s power is thwarted, then the hearts born of nothing may just unravel and become… well… nothing.

Or maybe the empty heart will simply no longer be able to function as active creatures without the power of their creator sustaining their existence, and thus all fade into Kingdom Hearts, due to the nature of the great heart as described by Ansem the Wise:

Secret Ansem Report said:
At the center of the hearts Xehanort had stolen was "Kingdom Hearts," which attracts tremendous darkness to itself and attempts to send any and all matter back into its depths.

And with that, this theory comes to a close.

Please comment below.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
I love this theory now. You explained it really clearly and I didn't find any holes in it. Only way you could contradict it is based on how you would interpret something. You managed to explain their extinction, the link to the name, and the symbol itself. +rep to you!

A

Azrael

You had me but I think the empty hearts are just devoid of memories

Key of Valor

The Professor
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Silver_Soul said:
how much do you spend thinking this stuff ?

I don't think this theory took me that long. I was about to post my Unbirth theory when I found out about the new Unversed information, and it only took me about five minutes to readjust my old ideas to fit the new information. Admittedly though, the original Unbirth idea probably took a bit longer to develop.

Aria

braver by the minute
I like it. It seems plausible and I like how you could include the extinction of the Unversed in there. Nice job.

Axel's Fire

Website
www.youtube.com
Sweetness! You definetly know your stuff man. idk if you've noticed though but the edges of the Unversed emblem look like the memory cards from CoM. So that could strenthen your theory right there! :D keep it up.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
While the initial idea of the Unversed being the result of an emptied heart isn't really new, I enjoyed what I read of your additions to it.

MasterZeR0

This really makes sense! (unlike most other Unversed theories out there) I like it. This could actually come true! Good Job!

Horizon's Knight

Currently [REDACTED]
This could work, although I don't think all Heart come from Light, seeing as most Hearts have Darkness in them. Other than that, this is a very great theory.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Allister Nine said:
Ehh.....too Long maybe you should summarize

Well, I'm not real good at summarizing but I'll give it a try.

Basically what the theory says is this:

Unversed are made out of empty hearts.

Hearts born from Kingdom Hearts are granted light, and as established throughout the series, the light in hearts can never be extinguish. However, Master Xehanort finds a way to create hearts from nothing that start out with nothing. These hearts never had any light to begin with, so they are able to exist in a state void light, darkness, and memories. A state of complete emptiness.

Nothing can enter these hearts, so they will always remain empty. However, these hearts are able to wrap themselves in the power that radiates from hearts of others. Those whose hearts hold negative emotions might emit some sort of aura these empty hearts are attracted to. These empty hearts feed off these negative emotions in order to materialize a physical form and augment its power.

Since the Unversed are a product of Master Xehanort’s own power and influence, if Master Xehanort disappears from the picture, then there wouldn’t be an individual commanding empty hearts to come into existence and producing the Unversed. Therefore, the production of the Unversed would come to a halt. And as for all Unversed already produced, if Master Xehanort’s power is thwarted, then the hearts born of nothing may just unravel and become nothing.

Or maybe the empty hearts will simply no longer be able to function as active creatures without the power of their creator sustaining their existence, and thus all fade into Kingdom Hearts, due to the nature of the great heart to absorb all matter into its depths.

There's also some other details in this theory about the symbol, possible relations to the Heartless, other things about the Unversed. I tried my best to keep it as short as I could, so I think it would be best to read it to get the full idea of what the theory is about.

Horizon's Knight said:
This could work, although I don't think all Heart come from Light, seeing as most Hearts have Darkness in them.

Well the idea is that the true essence of all hearts born from Kingdom Hearts is that of light. These hearts are born of light, and always contain light. However, most all hearts allow things to obstruct their light within, thus allowing traces of darkness to exist in these hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back