• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Untold

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

Ouranophobic
Prologue
Steve Writes To Rich

Letter # 1

10/4/08

Dear Little Rich,

I told you I would write you! I'm not the lazy crazy uncle you think I am. After all, writing novels is hard work you know. Well to tell the truth I probably am exactly what you think I am. The only reason I'm writing this letter is because your aunt reminded me, ha ha. So how is school? I hope you're doing well. I hope your parents are holding up. Especially your dad. He promised me he would be okay and I get worried about my big brother sometimes. I suppose you would understand exactly what I mean. Anyway, I'm not really good at these kinds of things so I am going to make it short. I'm having a party next saturday ( the 18th ) to celebrate the baby being born. I'll give your parents a heads up, but I wanted to tell you first. I know they sometimes forget to ask you to plan ahead. Got to go, little Katie is really nagging me to play with her.

Stay strong,

Steve.

PS:
Hi riCHArD i MiZZ YOU bYE

PS2: That was Katie. Bye.

Letter # 2

10/26/08

Dear Little Rich,

It was great to see you at the party. Katie was really excited to see her big cousin and Jude always likes to see you. Think about coming over here for a weekend so we can hang out! I could really use some alone time with a friend with the new baby around. As long as you don't mind screaming, crying and occasional vomit we'll have a blast. Maybe we can watch movies like we used to back when you were just a kid. I really miss when life was easy for you like it was then. But boy, life is sure easy for Andrew. He has about as much energy as your brother did, but when he needs a diaper change he'll just relax and let you treat him like he's a king. Hell, he might be a king one day. I don't know if they have those anymore or if they're allowed to be around, though I doubt he'll be as dumb as me. He has a cute little look in his eye already, like he knows what you're doing and he's barely a week old! I think I have the inspiration to finally start writing again.

Write me back this time!

Steve.

PS:
i LOVE YOU ♥♥♥☺

KATiE

Letter # 3

11/25/08

Dear Little Rich,

Got your letter. Thanks for writing back. Took you long enough, ha ha. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that your mom isn't doing well. Maybe I'll ask Jude to go over and surprise her with one of those cranberry pies she likes so much. Maybe I will give her a call myself. Let me know if I can do anything. In the mean time, I think there is something in the air. A lot of people have been feeling down in my house too. The baby is sick, you probably heard already from your dad. Jude hasn't been sleeping much. To tell the truth, I haven't been sleeping much either. I want you to know that even when you're depressed, you should keep your chin up. Life has too much to offer to be sitting on a couch all day watching the tube and eating potato chips and writing, Rich. I know you don't do that... but I love you little man. I want you to be happy. We still need to have that weekend together, so give me a call.

Steve.

Letter # 4

12/28/08

Dear Rich,

Good seeing you. Christmas was nice. Hope you liked your gifts. If you tell me soon enough I can get you something else. I didn't like that sweater but Jude insisted. How about I sneak you a band T next time I see you. It might be a while because the baby is so sick. I'm sure he'll be fine so don't worry about him much. Anyway, Rich... yeah. Named a character after you. Eat.Love you little man.

Steve.

Letter # 5

12/31/09

Rich,

Your father tells me that you've been skipping on classes. If this is true write me back and tell me your side of the story. College is supposed to be funn. Have fun. if you still want that band T you better write me! haha. Okay. Bye.... The babe.... misses my tit.

Steve.IT
WILL
FEED
PS: We took baby Andrew to the hospital today. The doctors do not know what is wrong yet. do not worry. he is fine i know ittl
and then... will I

Letter # 6

1/2/09

I haven't slept in six days. Baby Andrew will not get better and the doctors do not know what is wrong with him and i dont know what to do and im really worried but i think he will pull through - you think so? i think so. i mailed that band t did you get it I ordered it online. if it didnt show call me when you get this letter. Andrew is crying, I have to stop wrting now bye TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!!

Steve.

Letter # 7

1/20/09

I HaeVnt WrItten N Years. My last bOOk Was a totaL SUCCEss. I write in white SO NoW I'm WRITING A NEW!!! ONE? So he can't see. SINCE I STArT ThE LITTLE BAbE ANDrEW IS SIIiiiIIICK. SO SIck. IN the BooK a BaBy DiEEEESSS. I crY --------- mayevb i'll stop writing. MAYBE I WONT.

Stevieeee

PS: You're in my book.

Letter # 8

2/22/09

Richard,

The baby's death has changed me. I am empty. I tried to stop writing but something eggs me on to continue. It is like I am a magnet and I am pulled to the fridge. Faint at first, powerful when I get closer. If I walk by my den I absolutely must enter. Jude says I write for hours on end. Days, she says. I don't remember doing it. She cries for hours on end. Days, I think. We're even. She is worried about me and she is so sad. Katie does not understand what happened to Andrew. I do. He was taken by the thing that I have created. A thing that I birthed without first giving it a meal, and now it must feed. It is my worst nightmare. Now my son is gone. I am gone. Gone like his bastard.Richard, farewell. I cannot stress how much I loved him. I cannot tell you in a way that will make you understand. If I do, tears will pour from my eyes until I die of dehydration.

But I will tell you. I killed my own son. Do not pursue your dreams as a writer. Imagination knows no bounds and no paper you buy will contain it. I am not

Your uncle,hungry.

Steve.

PS: Rabbits are good luck.

Unknown Letter

2/22/09

Hi Rich...

IF yoou get DAMNITSPELLING!

Rich the fake babe of Steve. Give me something good to eat. Rich the fake babe of Steve. Give me something good to eat. Rich the fake babe of Steve. Give me something good to eat. Rich the fake babe of Stevie. Make me something good to eat. Rich the fake babe of Stevie. Give me your meat to eat. Rich the fake babe of Stevie. Your letters smell of you.

Jude Letter

3/4/09

Dear Richie,

I know that he used to write your letters. So I will try and do what he did in his honor. He would want that. He was a great man. The loss of our love Andrew was too much, and it seems that it only adds to the burden and pain of losing your brother Drew. We all loved him very much. You loved him more, I know. The memorial is soon and I will call your parents with the time after I write this letter. I just wanted you to know that Steve left one thing behind... I would like to give it to you. I think it's a writer thing. A cute little trinket. He loved trinkets. He loved you, Richard. See you soon.
BITCH DOESNT KNOW
From Jude, PS - I'd like to see his letters, bring them to the memorial so I can read them please!
STEVIE MADE HER SON GO

Thirteen Uses For An Umbrella Without Rain

Opening

Bringing the letters seemed mandatory, but would Aunt Jude really notice the last few were missing? Rich didn't think so. Nor did he think that she would ask him for it if she had known there were more. Either way the problem unfolded it was best ( in his eyes ) that the letters he kept at home stayed at home. They weren't the nice Steve that everyone had grown to love over the years. That image he worked so hard to create would not be destroyed by Rich, his nephew and practically his son.

Rich handed Jude the letters. He had collected up to five, with what he was pretty sure to be missing only the fourth one. She gladly took them, looked surprised even, and gave him a pleasant kiss on the cheek. They parted after a few words and one last kiss, this time from both parties, and went on their way. Jude received constant attention while he crept to a small bench.

The cemetery was bright in the sunlight. Shadows appeared as faint outlines rather than darkness. The trees almost glowed with life. But when Rich began thinking, this wasn't a very bright place at all. In fact, the more he thought about the cemetery the less he was comfortable by himself... and the more he thought about his uncle. Rich threw his head back and called his best memories. Times of when Steve would watch movies with him, drive around with him, just hang out with him. These days seemed only minutes away from now, so real and full of life. As he turned to the small crowd gathering to Steve's grave, Rich realized that he would never see his uncle again. So he cried.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

tired, I'll write more later

Last edited:

Bear

Ouranophobic
1​

The priest spoke, Jude cried, his parents sobbed, his stomach twisted. Each memory that he had ever made with his uncle came to him in single file, one after the next. They would flash like a camera and he would see a picture of them together. Some of the memories came to him clearly, even though he hadn't thought of them for years. They flowed through him like liquid and he would drink, then cry it out. Aunt Jude also seemed in another place, one where happier times were. She rested an arm across her chest and the other propped up on her hand by the elbow, covering her mouth with her hand. She occasionally looked up to see a new speaker sharing their stories of her husband and retreated to her dreamy state.

Rich thought she was taking it pretty well. Even so, he wished he could do something more to ease her pain. Say a clever and spirit lifting cliche, give her a gift that would make her see the light of death. He knew of nothing close and thinking about it just made him feel guilty. It seemed like his job to console her.

As if she heard that thought, she looked at him briefly but sternly. He noticed his face was long and his mouth was open in some sort of minute feeling of guilt that probably looked to her like sadness. Sadness was there too, sure, so was anger, but right now she saw through that. Her look said that it was okay - he didn't need to say anything to her. He smiled at her to say he knew what she was saying. As soon as his Aunt Jude went back to dreaming about her husband, he went back to feeling like he hadn't succeeded at his only job to her.

2​

After the stories were told by every speaker, Rich quietly fell out of the crowd. The air was thick with sobs and body heat, things that he did not want to be around while he was so sad. Crying often made him want to cry and the heat made him tired. Being tired made him sad, and being sad made him want to cry. He wiped the water from his eyes before he could start the waterworks and sat down at the same bench as before. The feeling that he had somehow failed in his duty to help his aunt faded with more memories of Steve, followed by some random thoughts about Rich's own writing career.

For a while he went on thinking about college and writing with his uncle Steve in mind; how he would help Rich with any problems or confusion he might have. How it would be so easy to ace a paper or publish a book even, with his own personal editor eagerly waiting for material. He realized again that Steve was gone and fell into another lapse of sadness, proceeded by another feeling of guilt. That spawned a new feeling as he dwelled in it, one without a name. It was similar to guilt, but it built up like a tennis ball lodged in his throat. Maybe it was guilt. It felt a lot like it. But he couldn't place his finger on it.

Jude walked by in the nick of time and spared him the trouble of thinking about it. "Hey Rich. You okay?" she asked.
"Yeah. You?" Rich said. She wiped away at a few tears that had been falling from her cheeks and put on a rather fake smile.
"Come by when you want that stuff I told you about. Steve's things. Okay?" She said.
"I'll stop by tomorrow on my way to school," he said, and she gave him a hug before leaving, likely going to the party that had been planned at his parents house.

As she walked away from him he noticed a small opening in the bushes beyond her. An opening that looked unnatural but somehow not manmade. He got up and stared at it for a good few minutes. It was special. The way the opening formed, the way it blended in so well, it was like he was the only one who could see it. A secret place for him and no one else. For a moment he wanted to sit back down and just stare into it. All of his energy was wasted now anyway, used up on crying and feeling guilty - all of that shit. But a better idea came to him. What if he went in?

The opening heard him and whispered back, surely in his own mind ( at least he was pretty sure ), and pushed him over the edge. He had to go. If a place like that was undiscovered by any other person and he would be the first to find it, well... the thought of that just made him more interested. Was it a peaceful nook waiting for him? A place he could sit in silence and reminisce of good times with Steve, maybe. Even a dark cave that he could feel more guilt in. Anything was special, because the opening was special. He could feel it.

3​

The opening was actually more of a substantial path and still it looked untouched. It curved down left, then right, then behind more bushes and out of sight. Through the bramble there was running water and what looked like another bench. For a dirt road it was very soft to step on. To be around so many forms of life it smelled so artificial, but in a good way. He was also sure it felt quite a bit warmer than in the cemetery where he had been.

As the path, which after the second left turn formed into a tunnel of plant life, went on it became warmer. With each step his spine grew colder with excitement and what he recognized as fear. The excitement grew, but when he focused on the fear it only dispersed. Soon it was gone and he trudged forth. The third left turn revealed a straight dirt path to a creek with a bench at the shore. At the opposite side he could make out a small white animal. Then he remembered something his uncle had said in his letters... Rabbits were lucky.

Last edited:

Bear

Ouranophobic
Well I edited the top post with a prologue title, because I guess I forgot to do that. So far, Steve has died and Rich is attending his funeral. It is unsaid how Steve died. Clues to his death are in the letters. I'll try to be a bit more clear in future installments, but sorry about that. I'm a little rusty. And thanks for reading, plus the sig comment. I'll update when I get another post.. wouldn't want to double-post.

Bear

Ouranophobic
Rich took a seat on the bench and rested a leg over the other. The rabbit looked up from the creek and stared at him. He recognized the look as the one animals sometimes had when they were scared. A blank, almost comical stare that was simply to tell if you were a predator or not. He had seen the exact look before many times, and now that he thought about it, the same look on a white rabbit like this one. The rabbit drooped its head but didn't drink from the water. He thought it was still trying to figure out what he was about. Rich let his head roll back and closed his eyes, recalling that day long ago when he had seen the white rabbit at the grocery store.

4​

It was early in the morning on a weekend and his mom had just gotten ready to go out. She asked him if he wanted to go to the grocery store and he said no. When he thought about it, he remembered that Kelly Young just started working as a courtesy clerk. She was the prettiest girl he knew for real and just the other day she talked to him for the first time in almost two years. For a sophomore in high school, that was a damn long time, and he wasn't about to let that happen again. He heard his mom's car start up and he ran for the door.

He plucked at the handle a few times before she unlocked it. His mom had been smiling. "Change your mind, huh," she asked. There was laughter rising in her voice and he could hear it. He could feel his cheeks getting red, as if she knew why he had changed his mind.
"Yep. Can I get anything?" he said. The laughter came out as she nodded her head and she started to pull out of the driveway, cocking her head back around the seat to look for traffic. He noticed the shirt she was wearing and recognized it as the one dad got for her last weekend. It was a small shirt, too tight on her in his opinion, but pretty damn cool. Plus dad got it for her for no reason and that was always pretty cool too. Adults were boring he thought, but when he saw things like that he thought maybe they were all right. Most of the time they were arguing or working and never making time for themselves or their friends. In a way, things like the shirt seemed to him they might still be alive sometimes.

At the store Rich split off to go straight for the Axe body spray. He had seen this really cool commercial about how when you wear it, all of the girls come running to you while you're in the shower. Silly really, but who knew, maybe it could help him catch Kelly's attention. He remembered on time when a girl complimented him on how he smelled so good when he wore his dad's cologne once. And after all, it couldn't hurt to smell nice.

There were many options and they were all different colors. Kilo smelled like an old man sweating and ass at the same time. Phoenix was too damn powerful to tell what the smell was supposed to be. Clix smelled a lot like the his dad's cologne and that meant it only one thing - he had a winner. He thought about waiting to buy it to use it, but he had already sprayed all of the others in the air to test them. He sprayed most of his chest, making sure to be pungent. After he was done the bottle seemed a little lighter than before and he grabbed a brand new can from the back of the shelf. Then he went searching for miss Kelly Young, possibly the love of his life at this point.

His mom was in the next isle and Rich almost bumped into her on his way out of the one with the Axe. As soon as he saw her, he took a few steps back. The last thing he wanted right now was his mom there when he was talking to Kelly, especially because his mom had the tendency to point out every girl to him, be they cute or totally hideous, and tell him loudly enough for the girl to hear her. She just didn't understand how it worked! He was definitely sure that his grandparents weren't there when his dad made the moves on her, so why was she constantly around?!

On check stand 3, the one with more than five people in line, was Kelly Young, bagging for an elderly woman. This was his chance, he thought. His chance to talk to Kelly and seem cool, maybe tell her 'hey, we should sit together in English or Drama class sometime,' and have her comment on his great smell. And suddenly his heart did what it did best when he hated it the most; it beat like it was a construction worker's hammer trying to break through his chest. He tried to swallow his nerves and a big ball formed in his throat. He tried to rub it away but his hands were too sweaty and he didn't want to ruin his good smell. Now everything seemed to be shit and he started to consider going in the express lane, where only one person was in line.

You only live once, he thought, and trudged on toward the check stand that Kelly was bagging for. She was just finishing up the old woman's groceries when Kelly asked if she needed some help out. And as sure the sun was bright, Kelly Young assisted an old woman to her car. His chances were ruined. His hopes were crushed. His heart stopped completely.

The line went by fairly fast after Kelly was gone, a great different compared to before when everything seemed to happen in slow motion. He supposed it was probably because of his damn near nervous heart attack. When he got up to the register he put his Axe body spray on the moving belt.
"Richard, right?" a sweet voice asked. He turned and saw what he least expected. Kelly Young leaned over part of the check stand to get a better look at him, pushing her hands in her pockets and popping her butt out into the air. Her blond, medium length hair fell down just right so the sun could shine through and illuminate it like she was an angel.
"Yeah. How are you doing, Kelly," he said, and after a second thought he regretted that he didn't say something cool like 'yeah, you're Kelly right?' with a pause before her name. The checker interrupted and what happened next was possibly one of the most embarrassing moments in Richard White's life.
"Four nineteen," he said.
"Oh...." Rich mumbled. One thing about Rich's plan to get the girl that he overlooked was getting some money from his mom to pay for the body spray. When he really thought about it, he wasn't sure the body spray was good to show off to Kelly, especially when he was using it to impress her before he had even purchased it.

Just in the nick of time, Rich's mom came into the line and handed him a five dollar bill. He could barely reach to grab it, let alone think of an excuse for Kelly. The checker took it from him gladly and Kelly assumed a more normal stance as a courtesy clerk, ready to bag his item.
"I could have paid, but thanks mom," he said.
"That's your mom? I like her shirt," Kelly said.
"Yeah. Hey, so we should sit together sometime in Drama class or something," he said. It was more of a desperate attempt to mend the damage his mom had just done and he immediately regretted saying it. As he got his change Kelly made a really weirded out face and to him she looked pretty uncomfortable. Which meant no.
"Sure...." she said and grabbed the body spray. First she grinned, then she laughed in a way that made him feel stupid. "Enjoy your Axe."

'Enjoy your Axe.' Which he knew meant 'I don't think we'll be sitting together.' He grabbed his bag and started to walk out. As he was about to pass Kelly Young she caught him. "Did you put some on already?"

The gig is up, he thought, but still struggled to think of a line. "Yeah, I guess I just couldn't wait," he said, sounding more confident than he thought he would. She laughed, this time in a good way that was the same laugh he heard in class when she was with her friends.
"It does smell pretty good. See ya," she said. With that he started toward the door. He turned around and noticed his mom checking out of the stand next to him. She smiled and he knew what was going to happen next.
"She's a cutie!" she said. He thought it was definitely loud enough to reach Kelly but he still had hope.
"Mom..." he said and turned around. She looked at him with almost the same weird face, but with a small smile emerging. His cheeks flushed (he could feel it) and he put the rest of his mom's groceries in the cart. Before they started toward the car he said bye to Kelly again but she didn't hear him.

On the way to the car Rich gave his mom a dirty look. "What?" she asked.
"You kinda made me look like a 'tard," he said.
"Oh, I did not. So what did you get?" she said. Rich took out his Axe body spray and showed it to her. The face she made was both good and bad, both 'I understand why you did' and 'that's a waste of money.' While he loaded up the car, his mom said something about forgetting her customer card at the check stand and ran back inside the store. He closed the trunk and rounded the car.

What a bust, he thought. Kelly Young was right there and she even remembered his name. She even talked to him first. And it all ended so horribly. He sat on the front bumper of the car and looked into where the trees started about six feet away from him. On the other side was the cemetery, a place that he hung out on weekends despite being creeped out by it. He started to daydream about Kelly and how the whole thing could have gone better.

A small movement in his peripheral vision snapped him back into reality. He didn't exactly see where it came from and he surveyed the bushes without much luck. He could see his mom coming out of the store while she tucked something into her purse. The bushes moved again and this time he saw where it was. He didn't approach it, but craned his neck and peered in. A white rabbit hopped out of the bush and froze on the asphalt with a blank stare. He jumped a little and crouched to see it eye to eye. The rabbit stared at him for some time and vice versa. A feeling rushed into him, some mixture of excitement and happiness that made everything that had just happened seem better. He smiled and started to rethink the whole ordeal with Kelly. She had talked to him, right? She knew his name. She said sure to him sitting by her, which couldn't mean no exactly, and it's not like he was now obligated to do it. There was a great opening for a new conversation by itself. Things actually weren't that bad.

His mom came back and opened the door. The rabbit ran back to the bushes and beyond, away from the noise. Rich climbed in the car with a smile on his face.

Last edited:

Bear

Ouranophobic
If anyone is still interested and/or reading this, feel free to post and let me know. Otherwise I'll just write it and keep it saved on my computer.

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
I've read the prologue so far, and it's quite interest even though I got lost a little bit, but it's well written. Even so, I felt some lack in the flow. Not too major though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back